Which way to the red arms point?

Warlock

I just got my DJI 550 today and now Robert tells me the red arms should be facing the rear! I always thought the reason the arms were red was to show the front of it, which is right?

T

trevlan

Mine are in the front but to be honest....at the end of the day it's your hexa and you can put them where ever you want.
I've seen ppl change them to show two white in the front and the back four red.Again its what you like

Warlock

I had Robert build my F550. So its his idea to make the red arms the rear rather than what I always knew as the front. When it arrived in the box, the GPS/Compass and its mast was removed for shipping. So I put it on facing the red arms thinking that was the front. Then I calibrated the compass and it just didnt work out. I turned it over while in manual mode as soon as I tried to lift off. My fault for not noticing the switch position. Broke the GPS mast at the bottom, and I drilled out the base and super glued the mast back in place, only this time I turned it to the rear......no the front now. Recalibrated the compass again. And it flies pretty sweet now even in some decent wind.

kloner

Aerial DP
when it was just the 450 they always showed it in the dji ads with red at the back so was all i ever thought of it being. when the 550 came out, noticed only 2 red arms and thought was weird but noticed alot of the guys coming in put them up front.

now that i'm strickly fpv flying, i like all black.

Dewster

I think it's a matter of preference. It does make sense having it in the rear since you are flying forward. My last flat hexa was all black and so long as I tracked it's course I knew the orientation. Even bright colors are hard to tell at distance. Just think about how you want your craft to look and how you plan on keeping it's orientation.

kloner

Aerial DP
when i first got my rig and was getting used to it, the arms color didn't mean squat as soon as it was more than 40-50feet away, the whole thing was black and a silouette. Best bang for your money up there is lights, and red lights are the easiest to see out of yellow, blue, white, UV purple that i tried. Even in the day a red light stands out like a sore thumb

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Yes, I put all my red arms in the rear. My whole reason is you always want to know where "tail in" is in case you loose orientation. I guess, its a carry over from flying helis.

In the end its a preference. Funny because I have an all black F550 and I have to add florescent tape or Leds to the back arms. Its so hard to find the orientation when you fly far away.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
A friend thats a newbie I've built for I put the red arms and led's on the back and white arms and led's on the front. Then I told him to think of it like a car... headlights on the front and red tail lights on the back. :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just finished an XY4 sport quad for myself and i've got yellow arms and LED's in the front. my first kit was an MK Okto II with the red arms up front so that's the standard i build to. a lot of this stuff depends on what your first experiences were as you carry those details with you.

have fun,
bart

Efliernz

Pete
Red at the rear. I have red LEDs under the rear arms (9 leds) as well as a smaller 3-led cluster on the rear-facing surface of the arms - visible from directly behind.
Green on the front...

Pete