What transmitter are you using for gimbal?

Pumpkinguy

If your running a 2 man set up, what transmitter are you using for your camera? I'd like to stick with Futaba but I certainly don't need another 14sg. I'm gonna need, 5 channels at the most?

Personally a T10J cos I had one, but a T8J is cheaper if you are having to buy one. Both have S.Bus Rx included IIRC
You will find a T6J on E Bay etc cheaper. Same protocol & cheaper

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Helicopter TXs done center on the throttle but I think a lot of TXs can be configured to self center easily enough. I have to say that my cam op uses a Spektrum however we are thinking of switching to Futaba as we get too many glitches on the Spektrum. The Movi uses only one sat controller and this is not really how Spektrum was designed to operate so it is not great in this application. A single Futaba RX will outperform a single Spektrum sat I suspect.

You can convert them by just taking the plate off the back of the throttle gimbal inside, but we use the Std NON sprung centred throttle as we can 'set' the tilt & leave it, so it moves in relation to stick position. This depends on the gimbal controller that you use.

On the 10J we have if you hold down + & - keys on power up you can change stick mode to 1,2,3,or 4

Last edited by a moderator:

As an aside, a colleague has had 2x genuine Spektrum Rx's burn out on his Z15-GH4 before moving to a T8J.
He has had no issues since.
Also I personally had a cold temp issue with my 10J where it showed it was transmitting Rf, but it wasn't as Rx had no signal. Ripmax replaced the Rf board under warranty & I had the Tx back in my hands in less than 3 working days

Pumpkinguy

Just a FYI my 14sg didn't come with spring loaded throttle. I had to order a part. It was only $10 shipped. I don't use it. I just wanted to have it on hand.

Pumpkinguy

Amain (my favorite us vendor) doesn't show a futaba 8j. I wonder if it's discontinued.
They have a 6j but it doesn't have a 3 pos switch.

Just a FYI my 14sg didn't come with spring loaded throttle. I had to order a part. It was only $10 shipped. I don't use it. I just wanted to have it on hand.
They don't over here in UK as well, but you don't need any extra parts, you can just convert with a similar throttle gimbal plate removal.
That's how I did mine

Amain (my favorite us vendor) doesn't show a futaba 8j. I wonder if it's discontinued.
They have a 6j but it doesn't have a 3 pos switch.
T8J is still available in UK but not much cheaper than 10J.
Also in the UK the 10J is on offer with 2x Rx's which wipes out the price difference as the Rx's are £50

Pumpkinguy

They don't over here in UK as well, but you don't need any extra parts, you can just convert with a similar throttle gimbal plate removal.
That's how I did mine
Ya. There were 2 different versions. One you just remove a black plastic plate. The other (mine) you need to instal this little arm and spring.

Ya. There were 2 different versions. One you just remove a black plastic plate. The other (mine) you need to instal this little arm and spring.
That's bonkers manufacturing different versions like that for different markets...oh well at least we get all the bits in the UK we need, even if we take some out :rolleyes:

I have a Spektrum DX6i but hate the programming. Comparing the 14SG & 10J, the Tx programming I find easier in the 10J TBH.
I would use my Taranis as that is awesome to program, but looks a little cheap for clients:D

Old Man

The fastest FHSS Tx/Rx combo on the market is the Airtronics SD10GS. Damn good systems for planks. Don't know how they work with MR FC's but for a gimbal they should be great. It even has a 10 channel Rx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Pumpkinguy

The 8j is available from many sources. I will probably get that. I like the futaba interface. I'd rather just stick to what I know.

scotth

I have a pair of 14SG's that I share with two rigs, then a third 14SG as a spare in case I do something stupid like drop one while on a gig. Nice to be able to load all the profiles in all three transmitters.

hexhome

Television Broadcast Engineer, SUSA operator
I went with a 14sg for both RPA and gimbal. That way, if one TX fails, I can still operate.
To spring load the throttle, you just need to remove a back plate.

mkheng

I'm using a Futaba T8J or the Z15 and SG16 for the Evo with no probs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD