Mikrokopter Uncontrolled Yaw - SOLVED

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've had the exact same problem doing firmware loads on both of the compass boards I have. First, stop trying to do it across a wireless connection before you wipe it to the point the bootloader stops working, I've found it to be problematic even with a hardwired connection so wireless is a definite no no in this case.

For whatever reason the latest version of firmware and/or MKMag boards are rather cranky when loading code. My newest board I had fail at 30 something percent on the first try and then stop at varying places up to about 70 percent. I reset/rebooted everything and kept trying and eventually it ran to completion and the board is now working normally. Not sure if it's something in this version of code or not but I've seen it on three different boards now so you are not the only one to run into the problem.

Use the MKUSB connection with no jumper and the stack powered up by the main battery. Make sure that nothing else is running on the system you're running MKtool on and you can even go as far as to temporarily shutdown any antivirus program you may have running. In one case I had to do the short across C3 to get it to reset but once I did that I just kept banging away at it with repeated attempts to load the firmware until it worked.

Frustrating and not at all what SHOULD happen, but again, keep trying and eventually it will take. I even went as far as loading a previous version then trying the latest again and had the same result although the earlier version loaded on the first try which makes no sense to me at all so go figure...

Hang in there, you're almost over the hill!

Ken

Crash

Defies Psychics
Ken, did you ever get that dead compass board that we were talking about working?

It's these firmware upload problems that people are having that make me leery about the new all-in-one navi board. Does that board use separate compass firmware?

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ken.. thanks I thought I was jinked.. Still not sure what was causing the yawing.. I disconnected everything, re-routed the motor wires and removed excess wire, neetened the whole harness up and cleaned and resoldered the motors to the BL's.. Put the flight controller on and away she went.. I aint flown a full pack yet coz of the nav board problems. I got a new compass on the way and will be taking delivery of my new electronics pack for my new build tomorrow.

Crash I got one of the new nav/compass boards coming tomorrow so Ill keep u posted on what its like.. do you want I think are my dead bits to play with?

Dave

Crash

Defies Psychics
... do you want I think are my dead bits to play with?

Dave
I'm pretty sure your compass is easily recoverable if you use a real cable. It really doesn't sound like it is completely dead yet. Even then, that board is one of the last things left in the MK line that can be fully programmed from a blank chip.

Also, Ken made a good point about the virus scanner. The cleaner the computer is running the better for flashing firmware it seems.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, did you ever get that dead compass board that we were talking about working?

It's these firmware upload problems that people are having that make me leery about the new all-in-one navi board. Does that board use separate compass firmware?

No, I put it aside on the workbench with a note to send it to you and its still sitting there...:eek:

I've been so D**m busy with so many things I haven't gotten that far down the queue of things that need to get done yet though I'm starting to pickup the pace of checking items off on the list!

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken.. thanks I thought I was jinked.. Still not sure what was causing the yawing.. I disconnected everything, re-routed the motor wires and removed excess wire, neetened the whole harness up and cleaned and resoldered the motors to the BL's.. Put the flight controller on and away she went.. I aint flown a full pack yet coz of the nav board problems. I got a new compass on the way and will be taking delivery of my new electronics pack for my new build tomorrow.

Crash I got one of the new nav/compass boards coming tomorrow so Ill keep u posted on what its like.. do you want I think are my dead bits to play with?

Dave

I'd bet you a couple pints that was a large part of the problem, I had a problem with my AD-6 doing the toilet bowl dance in position hold prior to the rebuild to heavy lifter spec. As part of the rebuild I did the same, shortened up the wires, got rid of the rats nest under the F/C board, and eliminated the bullet connectors I had on there, post rebuild GPS position hold is rock steady.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So I should have taken photos before..

Ken... What did you have bullet connectors on?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Quiz

Spot anything odd in the photos?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the number of arms? or isn't that.......um.......er.........what you.....um...........meant?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yippy... Now I have all green lights.. Flashed firmware nav first, FC next ast Mag 3 which was causing problems but when I got the cable connection rather than wireless was able to remove jumper on MK USB and both RTryder and Crash were correct to keep at it on the third power down and power up it loaded.. No tweezer jumper its up and all lights are green..

So should I recalibrate the mag3?? need to know now!!!

I want to fly again...

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yippy... Now I have all green lights.. Flashed firmware nav first, FC next ast Mag 3 which was causing problems but when I got the cable connection rather than wireless was able to remove jumper on MK USB and both RTryder and Crash were correct to keep at it on the third power down and power up it loaded.. No tweezer jumper its up and all lights are green..

So should I recalibrate the mag3?? need to know now!!!

I want to fly again...

Dave

I would do ALL of the calibrations again before even thinking about flying it!

Ken

Bartman

Dave,
Fly yet? If you reinstalled software then I'd guess the prior initialization is gone so you'll have to do it again.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ok so slowly slowly.. BUT everything seems ok UNTIL... I plug in the nick servo... YOU AVIN THAT!!! LEFT YAW!!

So whats knackered! FC or SAVOX servo?

Dave

Bartman

are you saying everything is great until you plug in the nick servo for the camera mount?

this one may require you to visit the german forums for some guidance although our resident MK gurus may be able to conjure some .de wisdom if asked nicely :)

if nothing else it's progress which is good.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thats how it seems Bart BUT.. Just seen this
The standard Recom that drives the servo circuits on the flight controller has a capacity of 1 amp, the servos used on the newer AV 130 and AV 200 mount can draw 5 times that much current and should be powered by a suitably sized external regulator circuit.
That is the problem.. to much current draw? I need to go check something!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
are you saying everything is great until you plug in the nick servo for the camera mount?

this one may require you to visit the german forums for some guidance although our resident MK gurus may be able to conjure some .de wisdom if asked nicely :)

if nothing else it's progress which is good.

Does the problem occur when you plug either one of the servos on the nick port, or is it specific to the nick servo? Does the same thing happen if you plug the nick servo onto the roll servo port? If it happens with either servo on the nick port then its a problem on the flight controller, if it just happens with that one servo, then its probably the servo.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ken .. not got that far just now as I retired fro garage had a beer and beer and copters dont mix so I will check first thing in the morning.. But if you can shed some light on my last post before you go bed at least I can try and get things ordered to resolve the issue.. I will do full testing tomorrow in the cold light of day..

Thanks

DAve

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Nope.. thought my old FC had a 25v cap on it.. not that would make any difference.. well I dont think..

SO how do I get a 6V indipendent supply to my servos? Guessing I Need one of these

http://shop.jet-1a.com/product_info...=1748&osCsid=e14d16ca9d259941abbc662d6e43f89c

so how do I connect it!??

Please help quick I got to get it sorted asap for a wedding

DAve

First find out if what I asked about the servo is unique to that servo or if it happens with either. What you need for power is an adjustable voltage regulator or a standalone 6 volt BEC that can handle up to 10 amps of curent draw, you may have an easier time of finding a BEC. Castle makes one if I recall correctly that will do the job, I'll have to dig around for a link...

Ken

Bartman

Dave,
When is the wedding? Do you have any A123 packs or NiMh packs? I may be wrong but I think you can splice 6 volt power directly into the servo and it will be modulated by the white signal line which will still come from the flight control. I don't think any servo needs the power to come from a receiver (or FC) even though it usually does. If you can hack a 5 cell NiMH battery pack together (1000 mah or better should do it, but a 2 cell A123 would be better) it would power your servos just fine. Is it possible the servo is shorted out and is pulling too much power from the FC and making it brown-out and yaw? The MK will yaw when the batteries aren't delivering enough current at the end of a flight.
Good luck, I'm off to an early bedtime. I've got all sorts of batteries coming out of places I didn't know I even had them, sorry I can't toss a few over the fence for you buddy.
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
First find out if what I asked about the servo is unique to that servo or if it happens with either. What you need for power is an adjustable voltage regulator or a standalone 6 volt BEC that can handle up to 10 amps of curent draw, you may have an easier time of finding a BEC. Castle makes one if I recall correctly that will do the job, I'll have to dig around for a link...
Links would be good Ken