Aeronavics / Droidworx Total newbie just inherited a mildly crashed SkyJib-8

JeffB392

Hi all I'm now to multi rotors. Just started to learn to fly a trainer quad. I also work as a film and TV DP and was just given a complete SkyJib-8 that was used once and crashed once while flying a RED epic.
It needs 3 booms, motors and electrics checked out and gimbal replaced. It's the folding gear model with a Photohigher AV200 with 3 axis control. The ship is set up for pilot and camera operator with two transmitters. I'm looking for help in the San Fernando valley area of LA.
pics below. View attachment 19492View attachment 19493View attachment 19494View attachment 19495View attachment 19496

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912817.046068.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912817.046068.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 265
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912829.559238.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912829.559238.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 241
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912842.321768.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912842.321768.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 278
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912861.333820.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912861.333820.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 237
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912870.140762.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406912870.140762.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 277

kloner

Aerial DP
i'd suspect the esc's to be the cause just looking at it from here. it's gonna cost some money to get it up and going right. Those motors are expensive and somewhat outdated these days. might be a good time to really change things up to a more modern design.... 17-18" props x8 and just repower it with a nice matching set of esc and motor.

those gimbals don't crash real well... sometimes a crash kit brings em back but alot of times not so much especialy if it's brushless

JeffB392

Actually it was a brand new ship when it crashed due to pilot error. 6 out of the 8 motors spin free and smooth two seem a bit rough. Not sure if I should just sell as is and get something a little less advanced. Or fix it.

kloner

Aerial DP
right, it's an old style with axi motors.... any motor that broke a prop needs replaced bearings or new motors, i vote for the later. the esc i see have recently had a bunch of issues with commutation errors that makes motors shut off unexpectadly...

the frame has a 15 or 16" max prop, converting it to x8 prevents buying any more booms and instead buy different motor mounts. i'd do that no matter what anyway

If you want a quote i can work something up but i'd have to see it in person and do some testing. I'll be bak in town Tuesday and can either meet you half way or meet me here in SD

I've built, maintained and flown several skyjibs

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffB392

I know it's tough to say without seeing it but are you thinking thousands to repair or hundreds. Just trying to get an idea of what I'm into here.

kloner

Aerial DP
the booms are probably $100 for the old style, $200 for the new. motors look like $100 a pop, might need 4-6 depending whats broke.... if wookong is broke, could be $200, might be as much as a grand to replace. a new brushless gimbal is $2-$5k brushless that'll go dslr or a light epic. The esc and motor need a good looking over to make sure there working right. if those were out, you could be into $60-$80 times 8.

Every area that is a part of aeronavics is usually hundreds to replace.... there could be some vibe iso damage, frame damage, motor mount damage and as i suspect the cause of the crash a bad esc selection.

Your most likely $2-$6k or more from hiring it out airworthiness

JeffB392

What would it be worth sold as is for parts? I'm mainly into it for a hobby, not looking to hire it out, I think I'm more of a DJI phantom / GoPro setup user, the thought of flying and crashing the sky jib scares me.

cootertwo

You got a deal for free. The wookong setup cost over 1K new. Maybe it's still working. If you find someone with a similar rig, they'd probably snap it up, for spare parts. Those things are interesting, but sort of purpose built, and way out of my league. I could afford to own one, but I'd have a heart attack every time I flew it, knowing how much $$$ was in the air! I get pissed when I break a one dollar plastic prop!:tennis:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Hi all I'm now to multi rotors. Just started to learn to fly a trainer quad. I also work as a film and TV DP and was just given a complete SkyJib-8 that was used once and crashed once while flying a RED epic.
It needs 3 booms, motors and electrics checked out and gimbal replaced. It's the folding gear model with a Photohigher AV200 with 3 axis control. The ship is set up for pilot and camera operator with two transmitters. I'm looking for help in the San Fernando valley area of LA.
pics below. View attachment 23882View attachment 23883View attachment 23884View attachment 23885View attachment 23886

I am not nearly as experience as most here, but I've built 4 MR's on 4 different flight controllers from small quad to 18lb x8.

If I were in your position when I first started, but knew what I know now, I'd convert it to a quad, test and find the best 4 motors, research the esc's and either test and use or replace them depending on the internet feedback.

I'd then test out wookong on the quad with motors off and see if I could set it up from scratch and run/ test it with props off.

I'd then test fly it (with no gimbal ). If things work out and it flies as quad, then you are on your way. I'd forget the gimbal for a while and if you want, put a 3 axis gopro on it and learn to fly and film with that. The rest will come naturally depending how much the mr (multi rotor) bug bites you.

Unless you just want to buy a DJI Phantom and fly it, you are going to need to learn to put things together and test them anyway, so this would be a good starting project, esp, since it appears to be free.

I think if you decide to sell it or part it out and sell it, you should be very clear as this is a crashed and untested/ who knows what works issue and be prepared not to get premium prices for the parts.

If the flight controller works, building a quad from a octo should be pretty easy on the wallet and a heck of a lot of fun and a great learning project.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffB392

Wow you're a freaking genius!
That is now my plan thank you !!! I just looked at the build instructions and indeed it can be built as a a quad. I've got plenty of good parts to do that.