The WooKong is dead, long live the A2

ChrisViperM

The good thing about these coming out... I might be able to pick up a good deal on a used or even a new v1.

So the burning question is, what is so great about the new version? maybe it having a V2 is enough for some of you, but it has to have more then a V2 on the name to make me want to buy anything. Saying that, I am a tight *** anyway, so I would gladly think about your V1 if you want to buy the V2. lol

Judging by the pictures of the A2 floating arround, it seems that the "new" Wookong IMU v2 and the IMU from the A2 are identical. To get a container full of aluminium housings is not really a big deal for DJI and can be done very quickly....so the A2 IMU's might have been finished long before the A2 Flight controller is ready for "beta-tesing" by early buyers. The etching of either "wookong IMU v2" or "A2 IMU" on that alu housing is more than simple. Instead of having the new IMU's sitting on their shelves, they just sell them as "upgrade" to existing Wookong owners until they start to ship the A2.

Just a "clever" way to suck some more money out of our pockets......

For comparison:

View attachment 13463 View attachment 13464

Chris

Attachments

• imuv2.jpg
    imuv2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 446
  • a2_6.jpg
    a2_6.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 391
Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Changing the casing wouldn't make financial sense so I can totally understand why the cases look the same but we have no idea if the electronics have changed inside and that is the key point

ChrisViperM

Changing the casing wouldn't make financial sense so I can totally understand why the cases look the same but we have no idea if the electronics have changed inside and that is the key point

It would make sense....just take the housing from the new A2 IMU, pack the old IMU electronics into it, lable it as IMU v2 and sell it as "upgrade".....now guess what happens to all the old IMU's in the plastic housing which people have to "trade in" before they get this "upgrade"....???

It's called receycling.......unless proven wrong, this looks like that they take the trade-in IMU electronics and just plant them into a new housing and sell them for the hell of a profit.....best business idea for a long time

DJI never stated that there is new/improved electronics in the IMU v2, they only stated "more precise Gyros", whatever that means....+ this statement from a DJI dealer:

1. Metal case - CNC 20% heavier than v1 CASE - more inertia to resist vibration
  2. Two pitot-static ports - side position - more resistant to static pressure build up from the front single hole of current IMU in forward flight
  3. 4 screws base lockdown - no plastic lock tabs

What an improvement.....

BTW: DJI took the IMU v2 off their web-site, together with the A2......

Chris

macc

What i dont understand is why has it got a built in receiver, so will my trusty aurora 9 still work with the A(ss)2,? or do i have to go buy a futaba or something??

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Having just seen the title of this thread I thought it slightly ironic that my A2 is being swapped out for a WKM

THE A2 IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE WOOKONG!