The WooKong is dead, long live the A2

hjls3

ive decided to bite - im going totally against my previously successfull approach of letting everyone else have a go and the bugs get worked out before i buy. kind of figure its my turn to take one for the team :) have email into dealer but have no response as to a timeframe from him.

Mick

XXTREME
As usual nothing from DJI on availability it does look very interesting but cant find anything on site as for as release keep us informed with any info you get ie. price & availability

SMP

Sorry guys, just went through the Feature list and don't see anything compelling enough to drop the two Wooks we currently fly... Maybe I'm missing something...

eyeball

He who dares Rodders...he who dares!! Im sure it'll be a great piece of kit but i'm sure the pro's out there with the pretty well trusted WKM won't be rushing to to replace as there's to much at stake. I guess I could see it as potential Christmas Prezzy:)

ChrisViperM

Can't see what's so great about this.....

The IMU seems to be the same as the WooKong V2 IMU.....Everyone rushing to get one of the "Super-Combo-Sale" Wookong packages which flooded the market lately to get rid of stock had to "trade-in" the old IMU from the "deal" to get the new V2 = rip-off

The PMU is (and was) nothing else than a BEC.....nothing special on the "new" one.....

A2 Flight Controller got 8 motor/ESC -ports now + " A2 system has a duel CAN-Bus design, which means that the system data throughput will be doubled and the extensibility is improved...." (taken from DJI homepage)
Everyone who just knows a little bit about Can-bus systems will know what nonsens this statement is......

A2 Flight Controller supports now Spectrum equipment, giving Spectrum owners the pleasure and privilege to also be able to crash their birds as we Futaba users could.....

GPS is bigger now and got printed on " GPS-COMPASS PRO".....the Wookong Compass got printed " GPS/COMPASS V2 ".....maybe a good idea to wait for the GPS-COPMPASS PRO V2.....

There is no sign of some sort of useful logging in order to pin down future failures, but that might be on purpose......making it easier for the pilots to have evidence that a crash is related to faulty hardware/software might lead to a flood of warranty/liabilty cases....

I could not see any hint that they are working or restructuring their (non)-existing customer care structure.....

The main point will be the software (firmware) running the whole A2-Tutti-Frutti.......if it is still based on the Wookong patchwork-failure, than all the nice shiny alu-housings of the A2 are not even worth the aluminium kilo price.....

No, thank you.....DJI will for sure find a bunch of newbees or I-need-to-have-everything guys, but I'll keep my money and spend it on something else

PS: I had a good laugh at DJI's announcement of the A2: IMPOSSIBLY PRECICE will see........

Chris

FerdinandK

To be honest, I find this a really clever strategy, since you can just drop a product line (with support and development) and focus completely on the new line, the same is valid for the Naza vs Naza V2. Even they can sell of their stock (WKM-IOSD-BT-LED-Waypoint-bundle, Naza Light) without any extra effort. I am pretty sure that there will be no more FW-updates to WKM and Naza-light after A2 is out. "Premium users" will move on the the "flag-ship", as the want the "best" solution for their "big birds". You also have to consider, that the WKM is less than 2 years out, the Naza even shorter, so that is a product lifetime-cycle already close to smartphones.

What I do not get is, why still the Motor-out-ports still have S,+,- as S only would be sufficient (and they could save a lot of pins), even on the RC-Side one +.- would be enough, not needed for every channel, so the main unit would be able to become much smaller. Groundloops (as they are now present on every connected ESC, and on every connected channel would be avoided completely.

I think the reason for all this is the S800, which was a "challenge" right from the start, but instead of correcting the copter, they brought out a IMU V2, and to complete this, plus the point that most "big birds" are octos" they completed the new IMU to a "new" FC. That the GPS/Mag gets bigger is also not a surprise.

Since people always want to have the newest toys, it for sure will be a success.

best regards
Ferdinand

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Well I wonder who will be the first to be able to supply it... Seems most suppliers are out of stock of about everything DJI make from BT modules to V2 GPS units...
Looks like they have listened to people who gave them the heads up on the original name of A2M!!

Any how seems they are repositioning themselves in the way they move their products.. bit like a few other companies.. less people more profit... we will soon see.

Dave

Teamflail

I agree with you Chris, what is the selling point of this model besides the new name? I have actually been happy with my Wookong once I had everything tuned, balanced and definitely don't want to drop another grand, plus on a flight controller.

By the way, I need to know what products from the pharma industry you use, I might need a few.

Eric

Mick

XXTREME
Hi Andy where did you get this link from. I don't mean to sound dumb but when I go to the DJI site I cant even find it I have to use your link. I will have my new s800 evo next week and really hate to spend the money for old school product if this will be out before to long and yes I know how DJI is about there releases but just trying to weigh the thoughts Thanks Mick

ChrisViperM

Heheheheh....DJI took the A2 off their web-site, that's why you can't find any info there.....what might be the reason ???

On the other hand, it's already up for pre-order:

http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/DJI-A2-p/dji-a2.htm

http://www.aerialtechnology.com/dji-a2-flight-controller/

I certainly will stay away from that product, like the devil from the church......enough great alternatives on the market.

If they don't listen to their customers on the forums (I am sure they do, but don't care) it's about time to cut off the money-flow to DJI.....maybe they will start to listen. If not, bye bye....

Chris

Mick

XXTREME
Yea Chris I do pretty much feel the same way what would you use if you where building a new evo I have been looking at the new 3D robotics ardupilot2.5 because they are here in the US and I can get help from them what thoughts do you have Thanks Mick

ChrisViperM

It's always difficult to give advice about FC'S since it depends a lot on what features you want. I personally changed step by step towards ZeroUAV YS-X6 (more features, takes some time to set-up, lots of good set-up videos avalible) and the Xaircraft SuperX (less features, super-easy to set up, waypoints and stuff are to follow shortly, great Logging Black-Box)........

Ardupilot seems to be good as well, I just can't have that nerdy-ness from all the OpenSource projects, but that's just me personally.......

PS: Just be aware that - in case you want to hook up a Zenmuse - you need a WooKong IMU....can be the "old" plastic one

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick

XXTREME
Thanks I will look at those options too BUT glad you reminded me about the zenmuse of which I already have so I guess I will have to use DJI

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
The good thing about these coming out... I might be able to pick up a good deal on a used or even a new v1.

So the burning question is, what is so great about the new version? maybe it having a V2 is enough for some of you, but it has to have more then a V2 on the name to make me want to buy anything. Saying that, I am a tight *** anyway, so I would gladly think about your V1 if you want to buy the V2. lol

The good thing about these coming out... I might be able to pick up a good deal on a used or even a new v1.
Agreed... that's how I got myself another V1 Wookong for so cheap with lots of accessories (a package worth ~2700 with iOSD, BT LED, 50 Wpts, etc) for $1100. For me it was worth it.

ChrisViperM

Hi Chris, so are you saying that to run a Zenmuse the only bit you need is a Wookong IMU ??

The Zenmuse got it's own "electronical control" ....it just needs to additionally be connected to a Wookong IMU. Doesn't serve any purpose exept that DJI wants to force you to not only buy the Zenmuse but also buy the Wookong. By getting your hands onto any "cheap" Wookong IMU you can use the zenmuse with whatever Flight Controller you want.

Chris