TBS Disco ESCs’ flashed simonK or DJI standard ESCs’ for new Disco?

Hi guys,
I have caught the Disco bug and want to build a TBS Discovery but am confused about which ESC's to buy.

I have read on various forums about the problems with Lazy Start motors using the TBS escs’ re-flashed with simonK firmware (I understand the escs’ are originally sourced from HobbyKing, that concerns me).

If I understand correctly this problem has been around since about last March with no Real solutions except changing end points to throttle or increasing the Motor idle Speed in Naza setup (I feel these are not proper solutions). I also understand that Trappy has sent a sample motor and ESC to simonK to try and resolve this issue.

My question, is it worth using the TBS esc's or should I simply stick DJI, what are the real world benefits of the TBS flashed esc's considering the possible hassle’s involved in getting them calibrated and working properly (if at all).

On forums I have read, the only answer that people seem to give, is, they are more responsive and therefore fly smoother (it is worthwhile). How is that going to affect me using the disco for FPV in a practical sense (It will be not so much used for Aerial photography).

I know this is a long and drawn out question, I hope someone will have the patience to answer it.

Items I have decided to order:-

TBS Disco with Core installed
Naza with GPS
Graupner props 9x5 & 10x5 (which I use will depend on AUW)
SunnySky 2216 900KV (these have same spec as TBS MTs’ at half price and possibly are the same)
Immersion 5.8Ghz AV transmitter 600mW with SpiroNet Antenna
Immersion EzOSD
Futaba T10CHG radio (already have) with FrSky TFR8 SB 2.4Ghz S.BUS FAAST receiver
Security Camera 2000 PZ0482 with additional 2.8 mm lens + GoPro2 with layerlens & sorbothane
Ground station & Fatshark goggles
ZIPPY Compact 4000mAh 4S 25C Lipo Pack (147x44x27 mm, 370 grams)

Thanks and Regards - Bruce.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Bruce,

the question is if you really need the Immersion EzOSD. The TBS core has an OSD function giving you the main info like Voltage and A drawn etc. EzOSD additionally give you height orientation to origin distance from home and speed etc. To tell the truth i used to fly with the EZosd but quickly my preference was a clean screen and only infos about the Lipos state. With other words I don't use my EZosd anymore !

In general i would go with Simonk Flashed ESCs. Just read up on your specific motors if there are any issues with Simonk flashed ESCs. Concerning them being hobbyking grade i wouldnt worry or not make the hassle to differentiate, there won't be a big quality difference to DJI ESCs. Its all one big factory spitting out these ESCs from china. And at the same time consider that there is a lot of bad mouthing about them going on. If they would really would be as bad as constantly stated we would have a lot more reports of failures. I personally only had one of several build i have done blow on me. If you do choose DJI ECSs than again read up on your motors if they work with them. DJI ESCs are hard coded you won't be able to change settings for your motors !

Boris

kloner

Aerial DP
I recently made the switch to the ipeaka esc's pre flashed with simonK and couldn't be happier. no lazy starts even in low idle settings in naza......... super fast to correct. This is with one bum motor, but check em out

and i agree, ditch the osd, and use the core. you won't go far enough for that to make enough good to cover it's harm, and it's harm is interference. too much stuff in too small a bag

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
One other way you could consider, is ESC32. Small ESCs with all the advantage of simonks Firmware and loads more from the Hardware side. They are completely under rated with their 20A rating but are still small quality made an certainly ESCs that can be used in many others builds and setups !

They take more work though to setup, from the hardware side and configuration. But certainly for any setup not needing 6s or over 30A continuos I will be using ESC32 !

Boris

Thanks BorisS and kloner, I know you are right about EzOSD I have read your prevoius posts and opinions on this but I felt (probably incorrectly) that I would need to know GPS location and height. The TBS core can not give me this, I have already ordered EzOSD and its on its way so its too late to cancel.
The SunnySky 2216 900KV motor has exacly the same spec as the TBS 900kv as is the case with the Tiger MT2216-11 900kv makes you wonder if they do not all come out of the same factory.
Some TBS users are having problems with the TBS motors and their ESCs' so knowing my luck......
Thanks BorisS, for the info on the ESC32 its an interesting project but I am more the plug and play kind of guy, not that I do not understand technology, but from experience I know how much time can be wasted getting things right.
Thanks kloner, the iPeaka looks as though it might be the go, I assume you ment the factory pre programed version such as here:-
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...k/ipeaka-30a-brushless-multicopter-esc-simonk
Your video is very smooth, its better than my standard F550 can do.
I know what you mean, even fitting all that stuff onto a F550 can be a challenge.
Regards - bruce

meme

I had the TBS ESC`s on my disco and was no that happy:
Lazy start in 2 motors, wich is not a big problem, but it`s a strange feeling to give WOT with only 2 props spinning when lift off.
I had no punch anymore with the 2216 Motors, digged a huge hole in the snow while recovering from a fast descend with a 4k 4s lipo.
Trappy sent me a cable already for calibrating the esc`s but i moved back to the Optos for now.
Have to say that inflight the copter seems more stable and smoother with the TBS ESC`s and Trappys Gains, but i had less vibras in the gopro footage with the Optos, need to figure out why after rebuilding my Disco :)
This flights where made with the TBS ESC`s:

cheers, meme

Last edited by a moderator:

krleas

FPV Freak
@ Kopterworx we tested a lot of esc with SimonK firmware and without, our final findings are that DJI OPTO 30A are almost the best on all Nazas and TBS with normal and 900kv motors.
We used them more then 500 and we didnt have single fail.

So if u are 3-4S users with small motors go for DJI esc, u cant fail.

Hi meme, that is a great video taken with the TBS, you are another with bad experiences using TBS ESCs'. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Hi krleas, also thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Your research is interesting, you mention reliability as a main factor and although I have nowhere near your experience with opto mine have never failed. I was hoping to acheive smoothness & reliability by using simonK flashed ESCs'.
kloner has recommended the simonK factory flashed ipeaka, these I will try and if they fail I will go back to the DJI optos'
Regards - bruce

kloner

Aerial DP
I just installed 14 of them in 2 rigs. one i calibrated the throttle range, the other i just flew out of the package and neither has lazy starts, both are super stable. needed zero programing, just like dji's. make sure to trim back the power wire, i bailed all but the signal wire

meme, i can see what your saying, like it wanted to bust out into a jello party

Hi kloner thanks, when you say you bailed all but the signal wire does that include the neutral wire as well, I assume it does, just wanted to confirm. Does it matter if the neutral is left in place? or is there a particular reason for you removing it.
Regards - bruce

kloner

Aerial DP
the esc is already grounded, the only reason for the ground is to make the bec connected. once you run a naza, it feeds the receiver power so nothing but the signal wire is needed.

it's just cleaner with less wires....... you can leave them, just don't need em. To be clear, i have one wire off each esc that goes to the flight controller

Hi Kloner, I understand you are always very keen to keep things clean and tidy and that is the best way to do things. My thoughts were that if I left the neutral in the plug there would be 2 pins instead of only one holding the plug onto the Naza and that would be more secure and there would be less possibility of the plug "maybe" slipping off due to vibration or whatever, this may be paranoia.
The other thing I could do is to simply insert two blank (no wire connected) female terminals into the 3 pin housing and that would give me a good firm fit with no worries about the plug slipping off.

Thanks kloner - bruce

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, it makes things like radios work better, video links cleaner, it's not just a visual thing

When you plug the futaba type servo connector into a naza, it's locked in if no wires were in it....... you can do it however toots the ol horn..... that's just how and why mine are that way. It's an fpv mentality thing....... less wires = better

You could do the extra post, and while your there shorten the wires to length, makes it all even better, all mine are all like that, every wire in everything