XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

fltundra

Anyone planning on using Active Braking ESC"s with their SuperX, be careful when setting max gains on pitch and roll. I had a close call this morning testing the new Castle Active braking firmware, and where she normally just starts to oscillate, was violent with active enabled. Once backed off, it's amazing the difference the braking makes:)

PS: focus issue was condensation on the lens from being in the a/c.

Last edited:

Darson Hall

So what are the benefits/differences with active braking? (I've heard of it but have no idea what it can do for you).

Thanks

Active braking will make the multirotor feel more "stable or locked," I like less "floaty"

Basically it is keeping the motors from coasting down when you/FC wants to reduce power to that motor so you get a more immediate change in thrust. Otherwise, you have times where the FC is reducing the thrust of a motor by cutting rpm by lets say half. Without active braking, it takes that motor however long it takes to coast down to the reduced speed. With active braking, it happens much faster.
Only downside I have run into is that is can introduce yaw problems or vibrations from the braking torque that wouldn't normally be there.

Darson Hall

Thanks. So in your experience would you say it's a useful feature for aerial video or introduces vibrations and is too locked in to be desirable?

I have not heard of anyone that got it to work well, that would go back to no active braking (I am sure someone can prove me wrong). Like the fltundra, once it works, its amazing but that is normally based on how the rig flies. So if the flight characteristics aren't living up to expectations, give it a try.

For AV, running a gimbal, I don't know if you would notice any improvement in video. The less "precise" motor control without active braking would but absorbed by the gimbal control. My two cents, I don''t have any experience with a rig close to the 20 plus pound AUW but do run active braking on escs that are capable.

I've recently tried the Super-X on X8 built to carry a Blackmagic 4k. The frame is purpose built to carry Red Epics, an even heavier camera. It has not gone well, so I would appreciate any advice. The AUW is 20 lbs, Freefly 40 am escs and PDB, Tiger 4012-480kv motors, 16 inch APC props. The problem is that when I get the gains set so the gross movements in flight are best (about 105) a distinct vibration is transferred to the camera and the brushless gimbal doesn't like it. If I drop the gains on the Super-X and lose most of the vibration to the camera, the flight characteristics are terrible. I could sure have fun flying the Super-X around and all of the functions work great, but I haven't been able to make it work for a big camera. Any suggestions?

i would go with the 15 inch 5.5 pitch CF props and possibly opt for slightly higher amp ESCs to be safe with startup currents....going from my extensive previous design work and use of eCalc.... SuperX by Xaircraft was most highly recommended a few years back by Kloner and I trust his opinions on such matters....that was at a time when the DJI A2 seemed to have some firmware glitches according to many forum posts when it was called MRF - Multirotor forums.

Last edited:

mediaguru

Look at this. We are in 2019. I'm dusting off my 960 hexa and 680 quad, SuperX and MiniX respectively. I don't even have a computer with the super x software on it anymore. Should I even dare try to fly these things or just throw them away and get something new?

Jason S

Look at this. We are in 2019. I'm dusting off my 960 hexa and 680 quad, SuperX and MiniX respectively. I don't even have a computer with the super x software on it anymore. Should I even dare try to fly these things or just throw them away and get something new?

If they still work why would u throw them away i still have the original Phantom 1 lol