SunnySky Series 40 Brushless Motor Bearings

SoCal Blur

Does anyone have a source for SunnySky Series 40 (eg. 4010) Brushless Motor Bearings? I would like to have a supply on hand but have not been able to locate a source.

kloner

Aerial DP
you just need to spec the size then order them from a bearing place........ if you have a burned up motor, get the bearing out and hit it with a micrometer.... in my experience i just get spare motors, changing bearings is hard and usually expensive endeavor that's not garunteed...... breaking a bearing putting them in is easier than the first time you broke it to achieve..... the balls are smaller than grains of sand....

SoCal Blur

you just need to spec the size then order them from a bearing place........ if you have a burned up motor, get the bearing out and hit it with a micrometer.... in my experience i just get spare motors, changing bearings is hard and usually expensive endeavor that's not garunteed...... breaking a bearing putting them in is easier than the first time you broke it to achieve..... the balls are smaller than grains of sand....

I agree and do have a spare, but if I do have a motor go bad, I would like to try and revive it at some point and keep it as a backup...not that I expect to burn up motors. I just like to be prepared.

Do you know of a source that sells bearings for brushless motors of various sizes?

kloner

Aerial DP
several, but you need the size.....

boca bearing is the most local diverse but the ebay and china are where most this comes from

jes1111

I wouldn't buy from eBay or direct from China - or from a local hobby shop, for that matter - you just don't know what you're getting. Bearing manufacturing works like wine making - if it turns out good, stick your brand label on it and charge full price; if it's not so good, sell 'em out of the side door to lesser brands; if they turned out way below target spec, sell out the back door to ebay traders and the RC hobby supply pipeline.

Boca are expensive, but at least you've got some assurance of the quality.

Best strategy is to go to any engineering supply store/site and buy brand name bearings - they should be more expensive than eBay but cheaper than Boca or a hobby store.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
For figuring out which ESC you need, take the Battery size you'll use (you mention 6S) and the props you plan to use (you mention 13") and check the amp draw listed for 100% throttle. On the motor/page you linked, that figure would be 7.8A at 100% throttle. So you would be safe with a fairly low capacity ESC - but it's always bet to err on the side of caution.

A 30A or 35A ESC would be more than safe, and you could always use it for many other motors.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I don't know anything about emax, and unfortunately I don't have that specific motor. Best thing to do is start searching for people's experience with that specific motors. ESCs can be flaky with given motors and FC combos.

For instance, on my sunnysky 3508-580kv motors run by a superb flight controller - I went through 2 sets of ESCs that didn't work - and finally the 3rd worked fine. The same setup worked fine when I tested it with a Naza. So make sure you do your research.