Spektrum DX9 vs. Futaba 8FGS Transmitter

Idahobell

Banned
I am looking into upgrading to a better transmitter. The two I am considering are the Spektrum DX9 and the Futaba 8FGS. Anybody have any feedback on these two and if one is better than the other.

Quinton

I am looking into upgrading to a better transmitter. The two I am considering are the Spektrum DX9 and the Futaba 8FGS. Anybody have any feedback on these two and if one is better than the other.

I only ever used a Spektrum 6 channel before (bad purchase at the time)
Nothing wrong with spektrum, but I just did not know that 6 channels would have been almost useless at the time.
The 8FGS is actually a 14 channel transmitter when you upgrade to latest firmware, exactly like the T14SG except without telemetry.
Also check out the graupner mz24, looks like a really good transmitter with full telemetry support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Lots of people will tell you that this TX is better than that TX. 50% of this is utter tosh. Why? Because 50% of what makes this TX better than that TX is ergonomics and only you can decide the better of them. Ideally, if you can, get to a hobby shop and get a physical hold of both TXs and compare. Not always possible I know but really worth doing if you can do this.

kloner

Aerial DP
futabas algorythm is way better than spektrum... if you want that different and good get jr....

Quinton

I also think that people get stuck in a rut, they pick a transmitter and stick with that no matter what for years to come, even if its not the best one.
Its a bit like PCs if you start offf with Windows it can be hard using Apple for the first time.
It is a good idea to learn different ones too, who knows what the future holds, especially with the likes of DJI favouring the Futaba ones lately, that may change in a years time... who knows.

STI-REX

Gettin Old
I have had 3 spektrum radio's and last year I changed to Futaba T8FGs and it was the best money I have ever spent on radio gear in the last 30 years of using R/C gear

It is far more user friendly a hell of a lot more intuitive with more programming options , all but 1 switch is a 3 position , very easy to upgrade firm ware ,much better link and distance and the pots are a lot smoother than the latest spektrum

Any function can be easily programmed to any switch ,dial or pot in seconds ,Very easy to change modes 1,2,3,4 all can be setup

Just my 0.02 cents worth

Ive been using spektrum radios for year and have had no problems. started with DX6i moved up to DX8 when i stated multi rotors and now DX18 for full control on one man operation.
The DX9 look a great radio for the money.
Good luck with you purchase.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I also think that people get stuck in a rut, they pick a transmitter and stick with that no matter what for years to come, even if its not the best one.
Its a bit like PCs if you start offf with Windows it can be hard using Apple for the first time.
It is a good idea to learn different ones too, who knows what the future holds, especially with the likes of DJI favouring the Futaba ones lately, that may change in a years time... who knows.

I have both DX18 and 14SG, my choice for multi's and FPV will always be the Futaba 14SG which is just a slightly upgraded T8FG Super anyway..

I have both DX18 and 14SG, my choice for multi's and FPV will always be the Futaba 14SG which is just a slightly upgraded T8FG Super anyway..

Hi mate for what reason do you like the Futuba or the DX18 ?
I have the DX18 and have only held the 14SG which is small in the hands and does feel nice but never used it to fly

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Hi Jimmy,

The Futaba receivers have diversity built in, no hanging a satellite receiver anywhere.

The Futaba receivers gain their lock back faster if they go out of range.

S-Bus, brilliant.

kloner

Aerial DP
I ownJR 8103, JR11x, Spektrum 8, futaba 8j and futaba 8fgs...... 99% of the time i fly the 8j, just like it better anything else i have

Gambrinus

I have the spektrum dx6i. Im going to get another tx for my f450 build and am tourn between the dx9 and the futaba 14sg. Since the 14sg comes with a receiver, the price is close. I used to use futaba way back when I flew planks but the spektrum has done me well and the dx9 has some nice features but the 14 sg has 5 more channels. Im sure which ever I get I'll be happy with but I dont find it an easy decision.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I chose the Futaba T8FG from the beginning with DJI NAZA and am happy especially now that I have migrated up thru the WooKong M and on to the new DJI A2 which has a built-in 12 channel Futaba type s-bus receiver c/w FASST and DESST.

But if you are moving towards HD cinematography with intentions of using the MOVI 3 axis BGC system..... I don't know what to say...... I see they sell complete Movi packages including a Spectrum RC radio system for some reason. I get the impression that the MOVI interface also uses s.bus but is mapped differently.....and not much info immediately available on the MOVI yet it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Also something to consider, the 14SG can operate 2 receivers at the same time (R7008SB)
The 8FG is exactly the same as the 14sg EXCEPT you do not have 2 way telemetry with the S-Bus2
BTW the telemetry is not totally great with the 14SG, I always find it reads the distance from home point quite a way off 10-20m.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Also the extra buttons on the 14SG make programming a little easier.

Personally I don't use the integrated telemetry as I use an add on telemetry.