Sony Nex-5n - downlink

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Please let us know ASAP if you have any issues powering the hdmi converter using the VTX 5v output. I was planning on doing the same with my immersion 600mw tx.

skivvie

I took photos of my wiring job so ill post a how-to once my nex5n arrives tomorrow (and I'll let ya know Yuri) if Mombasa doesn't beat me to it.

Just realized he's the guy that took photos of my friends base jumping ... One of which I used for the cover of The Great Book of Base that I laid out. Nice! Crazy bastard bringing that Heli up there!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Are you asking me?

I did a quick flight between rain showers this afternoon, ostensibly to test a vibration reduction plate idea for the AV200, and ran the downlink through the mini-HDMI converter without issue. As stated, it takes power from the Iftron Stinger downlink Tx camera socket which includes a 5v supply for an FPV camera plus the video line.

I do not know what current the Stinger camera power supply provides but as they sell FPV cameras to go with it that consume 100ma it must be at least that. Neither do I know the current requirements of the mini-HDMI converter, but a mini USB socket for power suggests not very much.

Whatever, it worked OK this afternoon.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I took photos of my wiring job so ill post a how-to once my nex5n arrives tomorrow (and I'll let ya know Yuri) if Mombasa doesn't beat me to it.

Just realized he's the guy that took photos of my friends base jumping ... One of which I used for the cover of The Great Book of Base that I laid out. Nice! Crazy bastard bringing that Heli up there!

No way! You know those guys! So cool.

Really good bunch they were and so helpful carrying that heli all the way from the road to the jump site. I know, everyone says "why the hell didn't you just fly it there?". Well, it was a very rocky access and I didn't fancy clambering over rocks and flying at the same time and there was nowhere to land anyway. That's why we took the table top.

Is the live view decreasing the recorded image in any way? ...

I just remembered. Using the HDMI camera output on a GH2 will automatically reduce the recording from 1080i to 720p. The NEX does not do this. This means that with a GH2 a separate FPV camera has to be an available option if you want to stick with 1080 for the recording. I keep the option for both but always prefer through-the-lens monitoring rather than a separate monitoring camera.

skivvie

No way! You know those guys! So cool.
Really good bunch they were and so helpful carrying that heli all the way from the road to the jump site. I know, everyone says "why the hell didn't you just fly it there?". Well, it was a very rocky access and I didn't fancy clambering over rocks and flying at the same time and there was nowhere to land anyway. That's why we took the table top.

Yes Matt Gerdes is a good friend of mine and we both work for the same company. Liv is a friend as well. Great folks. I thought that photo I used (http://base-book.com/pdf/preview.htm) for the inside cover was shot by a real heli until I randomly checked out your profile and saw the making of video on your site. Small world! Great work.

Can you (or anyone else) please confirm the size of the HDMI socket on the Nex5n? Is it a full size standard HDMI or mini? I can't find a clear answer anywhere and I need to order a cable to interface the box and camera. Thanks!

N/M... found on Sony site: HD Output : HDMI® (TypeC mini)

Ordered one of these: https://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin-World-s-Thinnest-HDMI-Cable-s/192.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
what ever happened to the guy who was making the ultra short hdmi cables with a 90deg. bend? They were on ebay for a while but I cant find them anymore.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Yes Matt Gerdes is a good friend of mine and we both work for the same company. Liv is a friend as well...

Liv Sansoz was behind the camera (5D) shooting the video of Matt and the other guys manhandling the heli across the rocks and bushes at the beginning of that Making Of video. I remember how freaked I was flying that day with the violent air currents in that canyon and also the fact that the heli had had some serious motor issues before that trip and there was no guarantee that it wouldn't just suddenly cut out. I tried telling myself to stop being a pu$$y** because look at those guys jumping off the cliff fer crissakes ! .... but it didn't help.

We stopped after Matt's last crucifix jump because as he jumped there was a big downdraught and the heli just started falling. It actually worked out well for the photo but you can hear in the video me saying "$hit, there's a hole" and the motor bogging slightly as the blades finally hit air. That was enough for me. I shut the heli down and went back to the truck for a cup of tea!

** wow. Can't even say that these days!

thijmen5

Just ordered one of the converters, hope it will arive soon here so I can build.

I also came across that base jump vid, don't know if I would be completely relaxed flying on that spot.:livid:

skivvie

Liv Sansoz was behind the camera (5D) shooting the video of Matt and the other guys manhandling the heli across the rocks and bushes at the beginning of that Making Of video. I remember how freaked I was flying that day with the violent air currents in that canyon and also the fact that the heli had had some serious motor issues before that trip and there was no guarantee that it wouldn't just suddenly cut out. I tried telling myself to stop being a pu$$y** because look at those guys jumping off the cliff fer crissakes ! .... but it didn't help.

We stopped after Matt's last crucifix jump because as he jumped there was a big downdraught and the heli just started falling. It actually worked out well for the photo but you can hear in the video me saying "$hit, there's a hole" and the motor bogging slightly as the blades finally hit air. That was enough for me. I shut the heli down and went back to the truck for a cup of tea!

** wow. Can't even say that these days!

Awesome story. That takes major balls to fly one of those in conditions like that. It's funny (and apologies for the OT here say the word and I'll take it private thread starter)... I keep telling everyone since just getting into this multirotor madness, the first maiden I did on my hexa was by far the most physically nervous I've ever been. My knees were actually shaking. It's so ridiculous and it's hard for me to understand, because I do lots of stupid scary life endangering stuff recreationally and I've never once been close to that scared. Something to do with having no idea what I was doing with the heli I guess. haha.

So back ON topic. Thanks for sharing your setups. Is anyone here using a Stratosnapper with their NEX-5n?

skivvie

Got the NEX5n, hdmi cable, converter, tx etc all wired up and I get nothing but a gray screen on my fat sharks.

Here's some shots of the wiring.

Video to center lug on Video out, +5v coming from ImmersionRC 600mw Tx, ground to casing of USB socket...

Any ideas? This is how your's is setup Mombasa? Anything special on the NEX5n to setup? I tried all the output modes, auto, 1080i and 1080p... at a loss at this point and very frustrated. Same Tx setup works fine with a gopro, so not the tx. Tried powering the board with USB por with standard cable, same result. Could you do me a favor and take a close up photo of the bottom of your board? I want to make sure there aren't any resistors missing... i.e.r24...

View attachment 4696View attachment 4697

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 489
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 375

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I would eliminate anything not necessary to test this, like the fatsharks. use only things you know work. Did you test voltage coming from Vtx? make sure hdmi cable works on its own. I know last hdmi converter I had I tried some things to make it work and turned out to be I wasn't supplying enough voltage to the Vtx to test it.

skivvie

Cable works (tested with nex5n and tv), tx and fatsharks work with go pro, cable I made for converter to tx works (tried with gopro), tried fat sharks plugged straight into converter eliminaring the entire Tx circuit and that was a no go, and tried that powered with USB cable coming from Mac for power. don't know what else to eliminate.

skivvie

No converter is the only thing left in the chain I can think of that I can't eliminate ATM. It plugged straight to fatsharks did NOT work ... Wasn't clear about that. Need to figure out another power source to test it with, but pretty sure Mac USB provides more than enough. Oh and voltage from Tx is definitely 5v, checked that.

skivvie

Only thing I can think of at this point is that I fried the converter board somehow while hacking it... which is unlikely but possible. OR... that the board isn't getting enough amps. I can't imagine it would pull more than 500mA, which is the spec max on the MacBook Pro USB port I was testing it with for power. The ImmersionRC Tx I think is speced at 300mA at 5v. Any other ideas? I ordered another converter from Amazon. Super pissed 'cause I was planning on heading to Jackson Hole to do some demo reel
shooting this week! GRRR.

EDIT: tried powering converter with 1A 5V still no go. I think that pretty much eliminates everything so the converter box must me hosed.

This is why I'm way willing to pay a load of money for something that just works. Bring it on Zenmuse.

KopterVision

Catch the vision
I'll chime in here because I have tried both of the boards mentioned in this thread. Here's my set up and testing experience.

My initial set up:

My flyer from Quadrocopter.com included this HDMI board listed on their website. I can confirm the earlier post that is it is the exact same board as these on eBay- only $235 more.

Power comes to board comes in two steps. Main battery (6200MAH 14.8V) stepped down to DC 12V 1.0A via a TSR1-24120 then a TSR1-2450 (DC 5V 1.0A) soldered onto the HDMI board itself replacing the female power plug. My output video is transmitted via a ReadymadeRC / Lawmate 1500mW 1.3 GHz US version. The receiver is the 1.2GHz Lawmate 8Ch Wireless A/V Receiver UPGRADED SAW FILTER . After that I use either a monitor or goggles.

My AP camera with HDMI output is Sony NEX-5N. I also have an FPV Box camera and can switch between the two via separate FPV camera extension cables. So, two composite camera output options to make sure the problem is not the transmission or reception.

Initial experience:

The original HDMI board direct output video from the Sony was at times fuzzy and seemed never to adjust to changing / bright light. This problem was amplified in transmission, so I saw only faint / fuzzy images at reception.

Testing:

To test to see if the problem was the HDMI board I ordered one of eBay converters and compared the outputs - the original under flyer power, the new one under the supplied AC adapter power. Big difference. The new one is clear and the camera image adjusts to light and is not fuzzy before or after transmission.

I also ordered one of these to see how it would fare. Direct output w/ no power was fine, however reception was a big doughnut; no image. So I tried USB powered output. Direct looked fine, however reception was nothing but scroll. So, I consider this one a lost cause. If it doesnt work under USB power, I doubt it will work under stepped down flyer power.

Next step:

I will convert the eBay board with a TSR1-2450, hook it up and see what happens.