Sony HDR cx-430v

kloner

Aerial DP
Just noticed this cam available for per order. Sub $700 and BOSS. Gonna have to try that out

What's the story with all there 3d camcorders. Is that the future?

nicwilke

Just noticed this cam available for per order. Sub $700 and BOSS. Gonna have to try that out

What's the story with all there 3d camcorders. Is that the future?

Kloner,
I'm looking at where to get the 430v, Its under 400g from memory. I think its got no internal memory, but thats a good thing for me.

Debian Dog

Old Heli Guy
3D is a FAD until you can see awesome 3D with no glasses or other devices. I remember some guy telling me that "Everyone will have a 3D TV in 5 years" That was 5 years ago. We will sooner see Ultra HD the footage from Red cameras and the like.

tombrown1

I guess I've never understood the need for lanc on these. Press record at the beginning and stop at the end right? And I've never understood the need for midair zoom either. Just fly closer.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Lanc is the cable that start stops and zooms.

I was interested in one in the 430 (or should I say HDR CX410 for the UK). Presumably without the lanc facility you can still do live view?
Also the BOSS system is supposed to be improved on these new cameras. The existing BOSS on the 730/760 seems pretty good and very useful on a MR I am sure.

Less pixels on the 430 is unlikely to result inferior video over the 760, but the lens doesn't appear to be quite such a good spec.
It is a lot lighter and looking forward to some comparisons.

kloner

Aerial DP
You were the first person I thought of when it caught my eye.

Would the lens be of less quality of what's on my nex5 kits? I've never zoomed or had the wish to start and stop. But if the lens is junk, that's a problem.

Tom and Iris ... It would seem neither of you are that bothered with the remote option?

I'm just in the market for either and not sure which to go for. Pixels don't bother me, 8.9 rather than 24MPx might actually be a benefit! The improved BOSS sounds worthwhile, weight benefit also and of course cost!

The only thing that doesn't appear to be as good is the lens, but hey ho, seems they will be available in March.

tombrown1

You're not going to be in the air for longer than 12 minutes so why not just press record when you take off and let it roll? And for zoom, I don't understand that either. Why zoom in and risk shakier footage when you can just fly closer?

Now if you'll be taking photos that's a little different. For my nex5n I just use a gentled to take photos every 2 seconds. Don't know if that works on the camcorders.

These camcorders also have a feature to take photos while you're recording, BUT not while you're recording at 1080 60p. So maybe a lanc could control photos while you are taking video at 30p?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
LANC is over rated. I have it and it never gets used. zooming on the heli is no different than zooming on the ground, it makes for a cheap looking shot. Hit record on the ground and you know its on. Maybe for surveillance or inspection it could be handy. As for resolution, thats not going to show up. The resolution is like horsepower on a car, it's all marketing. As for glass, that could make a difference but not the kind you and me would be able to tell without painstakingly comparing them. Look at the gh2/gh3 comparisons. You have to make yourself think you see big differences to justify buying the new. It's possible it is soft or has some vignetting but it's unlikely. Truthfully, the only reason to buy this camera is for the BOSS and if it is half the cost and has a BETTER BOSS??? buy it!

the stock lens on the 5n is not all that great compared to a top of the line lens but it is very good nonetheless. I would say the video cameras have pretty good optics in them as they are since they are not interchangeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

baker55

Has anyone had the chance to compare the cx430 and the cx760? I am looking at the cx430 and was wondering if there is a huge difference between the 2.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm sure I'm gonna get some arguments from this but here it goes... after playing with the cx760 I have to say that it is amazing. BUT, the BOSS does not rid of vibrations, only movement. If you wanted to hand hold it and walk around you could get a steadicam type shot. But its not designed to be a cineflex or a solution for high vibrations. With tha said, if you buy this thinking it's a band aid for your unbalanced props and motors, you may be disappointed. I honestly think my nex 5n does a better job at isolating vibration than the cx760 does. And it would make sense. OIS can react faster than a motor can. Let's take the other situation. Your heli is dialed in but your gimbal walks a little or your flying skills suck. then this camera will help a bit. It is no doubt amazing what it does and the range in which it operates is incredible. But dont expect miracles. You are still better buying a gh2 for the same money if the extra weight isnt an issue. I still love the nex5n too as it only weighs 1.1 lbs with lens. Lets just say I would rather have a gh3 than my cx760 for 90% of what I shoot.

baker55

Well thats good to know because I just picked up a Nex5 yesterday but haven't had a chance to fly with it yet. Much lighter than my 7D

tombrown1

I'm sure I'm gonna get some arguments from this but here it goes... after playing with the cx760 I have to say that it is amazing. BUT, the BOSS does not rid of vibrations, only movement. If you wanted to hand hold it and walk around you could get a steadicam type shot. But its not designed to be a cineflex or a solution for high vibrations. With tha said, if you buy this thinking it's a band aid for your unbalanced props and motors, you may be disappointed. I honestly think my nex 5n does a better job at isolating vibration than the cx760 does. And it would make sense. OIS can react faster than a motor can. Let's take the other situation. Your heli is dialed in but your gimbal walks a little or your flying skills suck. then this camera will help a bit. It is no doubt amazing what it does and the range in which it operates is incredible. But dont expect miracles. You are still better buying a gh2 for the same money if the extra weight isnt an issue. I still love the nex5n too as it only weighs 1.1 lbs with lens. Lets just say I would rather have a gh3 than my cx760 for 90% of what I shoot.

My understanding is that the CX760 under standard stabilization does as you said - but active stabilization mode gives you the ois plus the boss. So I think the active takes out the small vibrations.

My PJ710V (same camera) works some pretty good miracles. Switching from NEX 5N for video to the BOSS has been a night-and-day difference. Doesn't solve roll jitter, but for everything else I happen to think it is a miracle-worker.

TB

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Another thing I noticed is this camera must have a zillion lens elements in it as the lens flare is overwhelming. I noticed that the fore image was pretty stable and the background objects really showed the vibrations. I'll upload an example later if i can remember.

And I always have it in active.