Soldering S800 ESC and Motor to new DJI arms HARD landing...

olof

Osprey
I have to replace 2 arms I cracked landing hard. I was stupid, I switched to manual close to the ground and at 50% throttle the 800 drops like a rock in Manual. Only switch to manual before takeoff or with lots of altitude and be ready to throttle up. This was on my third flight with the 800. Boy did I feel stupid. I repaired the arms temporarily and they fly fine but I want to replace them, I have flown the repaired arms at least a dozen times now and I just got the replacements. I used superglue, 2mm screws and Plast-Aid to effect the repair.

I got the new arms but it is strange the way the wires are just bare copper. I have not cut them yet. But just doing a continuity test on them on one side the thin and thick wire are shorted. This can't be normal.

Maybe once I cut them short I can separate them more. This just seems strange. There seems to only be a bit of varnish on the wires, and I assume they are separated inside the moulded plastic arms.

Can someone who has replaced these parts give me some tips. Like the best way to remove the plastic insulation on the entire ESC. And the way the wires have to cross over each other seems strange. Is this just to allow more vertical separation and longer wires to make soldering easy. I have a hot air solder gun I use on delicate soldering, is this the way to go?

Thanks for any tips.

Tahoe Ed

View attachment 9600

You can use a regular soldering iron to solder the leads in the arm to the esc. Just cut the wires short enough to make the crosses. Only remove enough of the varnish to solder to the pads.

Attachments

• S800 ESC Wiring.jpg
    S800 ESC Wiring.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Damn..... that manual mode is bad news with the vertical...... did the same with my F550 when I first got it.......flying inside my garage (-25 deg C outside)..... it hit the ceiling and put out the light, then hit the floor. Hard to fly in the dark!!! I don't believe in using hot air for soldering (conventional solder tip gets the heat exactly where it is needed) and varnish won't last with too much heat. Varnish is in fact the insulation on wire in very tight spaces, e.g., motor windings etc. Wishing you complete recovery on your new machine.

I have to replace 2 arms I cracked landing hard. I was stupid, I switched to manual close to the ground and at 50% throttle the 800 drops like a rock in Manual. Only switch to manual before takeoff or with lots of altitude and be ready to throttle up. This was on my third flight with the 800. Boy did I feel stupid. I repaired the arms temporarily and they fly fine but I want to replace them, I have flown the repaired arms at least a dozen times now and I just got the replacements. I used superglue, 2mm screws and Plast-Aid to effect the repair.

I got the new arms but it is strange the way the wires are just bare copper. I have not cut them yet. But just doing a continuity test on them on one side the thin and thick wire are shorted. This can't be normal.

Maybe once I cut them short I can separate them more. This just seems strange. There seems to only be a bit of varnish on the wires, and I assume they are separated inside the moulded plastic arms.

Can someone who has replaced these parts give me some tips. Like the best way to remove the plastic insulation on the entire ESC. And the way the wires have to cross over each other seems strange. Is this just to allow more vertical separation and longer wires to make soldering easy. I have a hot air solder gun I use on delicate soldering, is this the way to go?

Thanks for any tips.