Small X8 build - 3d Printing Parts

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
progress or i hope it is :) ! getting close to getting the carbon parts made.

Settle on the design. Not sure yet if i should make a doom or not. Since I am pretty sure again to be going for a AQ Fc for this build i might just go with a 3d printed case for the AQ and GPS module let see.

View attachment 10169View attachment 10168View attachment 10167

View attachment 10162View attachment 10163

connectors working for now on the desk no probs lets see what happens once productive :)

View attachment 10164

Vibration mounts in the frame and need a little more modding for more space, its b...tch to get them in there though.

View attachment 10165View attachment 10166

Boris

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 203
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 197
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 225
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 320
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 360
  • AAAAAX8small3.jpg
    AAAAAX8small3.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 340
  • AAAAAX8small2.jpg
    AAAAAX8small2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 325
  • AAAAX8small1.jpg
    AAAAX8small1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 339

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
working on a case for the AQ.

I would be happy about suggestions. Gonna stick the thing on shapeways afterwards if it works nicely without any design fee BS
icon_e_smile.gif

Think i should think of something for the plug of power, RX servo ESC, to additional secure them to the Case. Wanna have it in that way that you can screw down the top lid and not have the GPS on top or the option of adding the GPS module with the shield.

Lid is not on yet in all these pictures. Printing it as we speak
icon_e_smile.gif

View attachment 10457View attachment 10458

Not the final look still gonna get round edges add some stylish stuff no one needs but still fun etc.

View attachment 10459

Boris

Attachments

• photo 2SSSSS.jpg
    photo 2SSSSS.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 257
  • photo 1CCC.jpg
    photo 1CCC.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 268
  • boxAQ.jpg
    boxAQ.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 253

ChrisViperM

This looks so sick....great....especially the red in combo with the Carbon. How long did it take you to get usable results from your printer....?

Congrats...

Chris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Chris,

didnt take long ! you just have to consider your print and what it can do during drawing the object and thats it.

Boris

Breezemont

Hey Boris, have you seen this stuff?
http://www.taulman3d.com/

Taulman's "618" High Strength Nylon Co-Polymer specifically engineered for 3D Printing.
Specifications:
Size = 3mm Round
Color = Natural - Prints as a bright natural to white with a translucent surface. Add color with most common clothing dyes.
Co-Polymer = 4-Station-Drawn and Extruded "3D Printing Specific" Nylon based co-polymer. Specifically designed for 3D Printing applications where excellent surface bonding, reduced water absorption, tear resistance and dye absorption are combined in an easy-to-print 3mm/1.75mm line.
With a visual and tactile surface quality 2nd to none. Parts 3D Printed with taulman 618 Nylon co-polymer will be instantly recognizable as high quality polymer.
Chemically resistant to = Alcohols, Resins+MEK, Oils, Acetone, Most all Alkaline, most 2 part Casting Compounds.

I just got some in, I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Boris, have you seen this stuff?
http://www.taulman3d.com/

I just got some in, I'll let you know how it works.

I have heard of some printing mylon but I never considered it or thought of the advantages. Yes please keep me posted on that, it looks good. With this stuff it seems like boom
clamps for heavy lifts wouldnt be a problem.

@ UKlealey - from 500 to 3000 for the extrusion printer is reasonable. 500 kits that you have to assemble yourself to 3000 ready to print to your doors.

Boris

SMP

The build is really coming along and the gimbal is so small and just wicked sick! Well done!! Quick question Boris, I thought you had mentioned a site and/or forum for 3DPrinting Mechanical Engineering etc. I've got a small but involved custom case I need to have made and was going to try guru or freelancer etc but perhaps that community you mentioned might be a better choice?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Red,

carried on with the design a little to hide the cable mount the driver board and protect the IMU.

View attachment 10638View attachment 10639View attachment 10640View attachment 10641View attachment 10642

@SMP i am not sure, if i mentioned something i don't remember. I just hanging from time to time in the forum ultimaker. But a dedicated 3d printing forum i dont know of, but i am pretty sure they are around.

Boris

(edit) think i have to put a little love in the driver board holder :)

Attachments

• Goprogimbal1.jpg
    Goprogimbal1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Goprogimbalred.jpg
    Goprogimbalred.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 244
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 253
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 262
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 260

mbsteed

aerial video centric

Attachments

• IMG_2941.jpg
    IMG_2941.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 279

951UAV

Really nice stuff there Boris, Looks like a very nice first try. The ability to make things so easy is neat to watch considering how much time and money this would have been just a short time ago.

Thanks for sharing

jdennings

Awesome ...

Original, mounting the esc's next to the motors ...
For the removable arm connections, are you using EC3 or similar connectors that are pressed in?

-jds

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
@ mbsteed. Once everything is finished and working i will post it all frame gimbals etc. ! PLA ABS is great but most parts eventually i get done with shape ways the material is just a better and the prints more percise !

@ jdennings. I am not happy with my first design of the removable connectors ! they work but its to much of a hassle to fit the booms and connectors back into the center plate. I am just redesigning that part. I am using 4mm gold connectors. Which should be fine
for two motors running 5s max A 15 thus 30A but only bursts. The 16mm tubing has 1.5 mm thick walls so not much space.

Boris

To lazy to draw the gold connectors hope the render makes sense !

View attachment 12119

Attachments

• X8smallclamps.jpg
    X8smallclamps.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 239

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
by the way mounting the ESCs next to the motors it not my thing. Several did it before especially bartman ! I personally wouldnt do it in combo with all FCS. But since I will be using a AQ FC it makes sense !

Boris