Show your FPV video

Chadfish

That's pretty dang fast and fairly dang low man! I like the obstacle course of a field you found too. Are you using 5.8Ghz for FPV?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
You can't get much lower than what I'm doing here with one of my TBS Discovery and still be flying! Not sure what Youtube did to the resolution but it was uploaded at 720P...

A little less daring with the more expensive to repair QAV500...

Some winter fun with the Discovery, gets difficult to judge how close the ground is with the glare off the snow...

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadfish

RTR the reason your videos are so low rez is because you exported them at too low a rez. They need to be encoded at least at 5000kbps for YouTube to put up a 720p or 1080p version. I actually use 10,000kbps because aerial videos usually have a lot of grass, which has a lot of detail. You have a 2 gig file limit, so don't be afraid to go big. YouTube, as you know further compresses the files, so you need to overshoot a bit.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
RTR the reason your videos are so low rez is because you exported them at too low a rez. They need to be encoded at least at 5000kbps for YouTube to put up a 720p or 1080p version. I actually use 10,000kbps because aerial videos usually have a lot of grass, which has a lot of detail. You have a 2 gig file limit, so don't be afraid to go big. YouTube, as you know further compresses the files, so you need to overshoot a bit.

Not the case, the first video was mangled by Youtube in post upload processing. I always upload at the resolution and frame rate that was used to record the video, 720P 60 FPS for the majority of my FPV flights using older Hero HD. All of my other Gopro FPV videos can be viewed in HD from Youtube except for that one, not sure what happened or why.

This is the first time I flew with a Hero 3 Black onboard and the upload was raw 1080P right off the memory card, easily viewable in full screen HD although not quite as sharp as the original due to Youtube compession...

Ken

Chadfish

RTR, Like I said, it's not just the resolution (1080p/1720p) that's important. It's the bitrate (kbps) that determines if YouTube displays the video at 240p, 320p, 480p, 720p or 1080p, or all of them. Off-the-camera files have a higher bitrate than what you may have exported the edited video at. And FYI to anyone: YouTube can not playback at 60fps. It will convert any 60fps video to 30fps. It's best to edit in a 30fps timeline. So all I'm saying is when one exports the video for upload from the timeline of whatever editing app, be sure to set the bitrate to at least 5000kbps if you want YouTube to display it at all available resolutions.

Chadfish

One way to test if it was YouTube that made the mistake and mangled your video is to upload it again as unlisted. If it looks the same, then you need to re-export at a higher bitrate. I just tried an experiment, exporting my latest video at 20,000kbps, and even after YT further compresses it, it still looks pretty nice. Check this out at 1080p/Full Screen.

FerdinandK

Here my first attempt of flying between (and around) trees:

best regards

Ferdinand

Chadfish

That's pretty good Ferdinand! Were you getting much video interference? I can barely go behind one tree with my 5.8 system. Here's some fun flying around a local park. A tree reached out and hit my quad!

FerdinandK

Yet another FPV-Video. The interesting point here is not the flying itself, it is that the flight lasted for 57min:

@Chadfish
I was really surprised, that I get a useable picture "behind" the trees. It is really fun to explore the trees (and the repair afterwards).

best regards
Ferdinand

FerdinandK

I use the iftrontech stinger 100mW (first video was with 25mW) and the yellow-jacket receiver CL on TX SPW and 8turn helix on tracker, but in my backyard of course without tracking, just put the helix in the direction of the biggest tree.

More info on the setup of the quad can be found here:

Just in a few words:
lightweight frame, big props, good motors

best regards

Ferdinand

Chadfish

Cool man, thanks! I need to upgrade my FPV indeed. I've had my eye on those Yellow Jackets...

I use the iftrontech stinger 100mW (first video was with 25mW) and the yellow-jacket receiver CL on TX SPW and 8turn helix on tracker, but in my backyard of course without tracking, just put the helix in the direction of the biggest tree.

More info on the setup of the quad can be found here:

Just in a few words:
lightweight frame, big props, good motors

best regards

Ferdinand