Setup Naza as Heli or Acro(plane)

Ive seen some do it heli others acro, manual says acro.... Are there any benefits to either or? Im running a dx8, naza should b here in a day or 2. Just wanna know what route for radio set up, i have heli set up experience and understand the whole mixing game. From what ive rad so far we want no mixing as far as naza goes unless set up for failsafe.... What does a guy choose for swash

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

sj257

I would stick with Acro. Then no issues with swash mix etc. It's really simple to set up the NAZA with the DX8.

Have fun.

sj

Kilby

I have also set it up both ways before. For your radio, I would use acro. I used heli mode on my DX6i, but only because acro mode did not allow me to set a throttle curve. You don't have that problem with your radio, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you did want to set it up as heli though, just make sure to pick a swash type of 1 servo, 90 degrees. That is essentially the same as acro mode, it just gives you some extra mixing capabilities.

-Terry

Thanks guys, i was playin around last night and in acro i can assign switches to aux 1,2,3. But in heli only 2,3. Do i lose a channel or is it just called something else

WillM

With the Spektrum DX8i, I found it easier to setup as acro (airplane).

I have several memory setups in the radio, some heli, some acro, but as I've fine-tuned the settings & setup, I think that Acro is the easiest/best for the NAZA.

While it makes sense for normal airplane and heli use, I think it is kind of odd that there are some features & functions that are unique to each mode, and that there isn't a 3rd mode which would allow total total customization.

With the rapid growth and growing popularity of multirotors, I'm hoping that transmitters will soon have a 'multirotor' mode, or at least a mode that lets the user assign any switch to any function.

Since you are asking about modes, sounds like you haven't set yours up yet. Here is how my radio is currently setup. I've tried several different configurations and like this best:

I use the GEAR switch to toggle between ATTI & Manual.
I use a mix on the HOLD switch to activate the NAZA's failsafe.
I use the F-MODE (flight mode) 3-position switch to switch between 3 different expo & D/R settings.

I use the left trim to adjust manual gains.
I use the right trim to adjust the atti gains.

I would really, really, really like to find a way to setup an "OH S#!T" switch to kill the motors instantly, kind of like a throttle cut. I can do that through mixing, but the results aren't consistent across my different F-MODES. If anyone has any suggestions on that, I'm all ears!

I'm a bit new to all of this and only recently figured out (read!) how the DX8i's internal failsafe works. I had previously thought that my system was setup so that the NAZA would go into failsafe if radio transmission was lost - but it wasn't. I shut off my transmitter while testing (with the props off), and the NAZA did not go into failsafe.

I read the DX8i manual once again, this time knowing what I was looking for, and found the answer. I followed the procedure to enable "Preset Failsafe" and bound the receiver to the transmitter with the throttle at 0, the sticks otherwise centered, and all of the switches off EXCEPT for the HOLD switch which was flipped up (on). As I mentioned above, I assigned a mix to the hold switch that puts the NAZA into failsafe. (which I have assigned to make the NAZA go into its failsafe mode). This works perfectly.

At any time, regardless of ATTI or Manual mode, and regardless of F-Mode, and regardless of whatever I'm doing with the sticks or other switches, the NAZA goes into failsafe as soon as the HOLD switch is flipped.
Likewise, regardless of ATTI or Manual mode, and regardless of F-Mode or anything else, if the receiver loses connection (ie: I turn the transmitter off), the NAZA goes into failsafe.

Take your time setting up your transmitter, and do it while the NAZA is connectted to the Assistant software, and with your props off. Once you've got it dialed in, disconnect from the Assistant software and test the functions with the props off.

Sorry for the long post and for being a bit off-topic, but I've read too many confusing threads about how the failsafe works and fly-away multi-copters.

Cheers,

Will

Sweet thanks will, how do i set a mix to operate failsafe on hold switch i like that because naturally flip hold when the heli gets outa control

WillM

Here's how my radio is setup:
Orange text is used to show connections between the receiver & NAZA.
Green text is used to show setup within the Assistant software.

attachment.php

Switch Setup:
attachment.php

MIX to control Failsafe:
attachment.php

View attachment 2810View attachment 2811View attachment 2812

Attachments

• NAZA_Setup.jpg
    NAZA_Setup.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 744
  • Switch_Options.jpg
    Switch_Options.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 632
  • Mix_Options.jpg
    Mix_Options.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 590

Hey will, on my assistant do which gains do i want to assign to x and which to Y, not so much which like manual to left side or right but do I want pitch,roll,yaw on the same switch? then the rest on the other or just a select few on a switch
Thanks again

Jackella

Decided to re-setup both my Naza quads in heli mode,using 1 servo swash,i'm using a JR DXX9 TX.

Plugged the naza U lead into the Aux1 on the RX,pitch channel and that gives me 3 flight modes as in N,idleup1 and idle2 as in my helis.
So i set pitch curves at 5% all through thr. range for manual mode,mode2 at 92% all range and 50% all through which will be failsafe.
it also in heli mode allows some smoothing or more aggresive throttle curves adjustments in each flight mode which is useful.Plus allows use of expo in the differant switch positions.
tested the failsafe earlier at height and it works good,quad leveled itself and landed safely.
these naza FC are good stuff!!

Helijib

Will! Good work and thanks for all the examples here. I'd like to try a few of your ideas but brand new to the mutiroter scene and the acro mode I'm setting up in my DX7se.
I really like the option you created with the flight mode switch. First I'm wondering if I can do this in my DX7se?
If so, do you mind giving me a few tips and helping me along to get it set up with a Sport1 and Sport2 d/r expo to soften up the sticks a bit?
Really appreciate your time with this. And again awesome examples!

WillM

Helijib,

Good to know that was helpful, thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, I am not familiar at all with the DX7s, but a quick look at the manual suggests that the menus and such are not much different, if at all, from the DX8i. As such, I would assume that the DX7 could be setup very similar to, if not exactly alike, the DX8.

I'll see if I can put something together that makes sense and is relatively easy to follow.

BTW, I am not an expert by any stretch. I've only owned the DX8 for a few months, and before then, the last radio I purchased was a 3-channel pistol grip from ~15 years ago. Airborne R/C is very new to me...

Cheers,

Will

Helijib

Sure Will! Thanks for posting your ideas. It sounds like a great way to go I think. The DX7se is a quite a bit similar for sure.
What ever tips or steps to get that Fmode set up would be great.

I woudl love to be able to tweak the gains from my transmitter but I'm running 6 channel rx with only 1 Aux port open...

Minnzoo

Well,

I just got my Flamewheel 450 together and I have a bad motor. It just sits there and twitches. If I flick it, sometimes I can get it to run but if I shut down the motors again and try to start it back up that motor just twitches. I moved it to another arm and ESC and it follows the motor. I double checked all connections etc and it does exactly the same thing. I guess I'll be contacting Atlanta Hobby or DJI tomorrow.

David