Remote zoom compact camera

slin

Hello

Im looking for a compact camera with optical zoom that supports remote zoom and trigger. Im going to use it for aerial inspection on a Y6, and yes i know there is som good sony video cams out there that does support this. But I need a light weigt compact camera for this application. Any suggestions?

Linus

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
LANC is the name of the protocol that some cameras use for remote operation, including zooming. Mikrokopter makes a LANC interface that works with the Sony camcorders, but AFAIK, there aren’t any of the truly pocketable cameras that have a LANC interface. You could probably McGyver something with a servo or something physically attached to the camera to manually operate the zoom button on your desired camera.

epic4me

I am trying to find something like that I have used 10x fpv zoom camera results are not good on cheap cams, is there a good option on the market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmkit

yesterday I was testing my new quad w/SONY CX210, AUW 1kg, flight time almost 12m w/2200mAh 3s, the SONY used w/o battery , that is 165g, therea no pocket cameras at this weight with 25x zoom
I wrote my own LANC driver
watch zoom action at 0:50

Accupro

I am a local property inspector looking to use a drone to do the roof. I received an AR Drone for last Christmas as kind of a proof of concept to see if this would work for taking still photos and with some modifications I see that it may be possible. Specifically I would need to tilt and zoom in order to do what I would need to do.

The limitations of the AR drone were/are:
1. Limited range w/WiFi, I would lose the drone if I went over the peak of the roof and lost visual of the drone.
2. Would need to control the tilt of the camera from the ground.
3. There was a ground effect (dirty air) associated with bringing the drone down close to the roof so I would need to be able to zoom.
4. With the above limitations I would need a drone that would support a higher payload.

I'm looking for a low cost solution initially and settled on a DJI F550 w/NAZA and a 2 axis gimbal. As others have mentioned above there are open-source options to control low-cost, in my case a Canon, light weight point-and-shoot cameras that you can control via RC, specifically using (http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/multi.htm).

I realize there are much higher-end options that could easily do what I need, but we are talking $5k on up.

Using the RC receiver you can control the tilt, zoom, and trigger release and transmit the video the camera is seeing via FPV. I do not have the final setup working yet but I have downloaded the open-source code to my Canon and confirmed its operation. My 2 axis gimbal is for a GoPro (100 grams) and I may need to upgrade it to support the higher weight of the Canon (140 grams).

The FPV would be displayed on a monitor along with OSD, while the resulting photos would be stored within the camera onboard and retrieved at the end of flight via an SD card.

Buzz_Roavr

I do inspection work with a Sony CX410 boss stabilised camcorder on an AV130 gimbal. Can zoom and tilt. Take photos and video.

Works very very well. Bit rate is not high enough for broadcast HD work though. Need the 710 at least for that. Forget messing about with little cameras.