RC Timer S800 clone

modles

Nerdlinger
I see that the arms on the DJI version are angled upwards and the clone are not. Does this dihedral angle help with stability? I've not seen it before on multicopters and cannot see how it would help. Wings yes, but not multicopters?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
From what I can see, the titled motors would help with descending as the dirty air is blown away from the descending craft and the spinning blades. That is why Y6 and X8 machines descend better than flat hex or flat 8 machines.

Go4it

IMHO you are wrong. If one clones it and makes it better and for less money. I would say good for them.
I have a DJI S800 with DJI WKM controller with GPS. Fly's with several problems, not worth $2900. I have a Y-6 with DJI WKM/GPS fly's great.
Ordered the S800 clone and it will be here late next week. I will see if it's a improved S800 are just a clone with the same problems. They even have a crash thread on RCGroups of the DJI s800 and u-tube has several flicks on the S800 crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMHO you are wrong. If one clones it and makes it better and for less money. I would say good for them.
I have a DJI S800 with DJI WKM controller with GPS. Fly's with several problems, not worth $2900. I have a Y-6 with DJI WKM/GPS fly's great.
Ordered the S800 clone and it will be here late next week. I will see if it's a improved S800 are just a clone with the same problems. They even have a crash thread on RCGroups of the DJI s800 and u-tube has several flicks on the S800 crashes.

Please give us an update when you get it! I heard the S800 clone has more flexible arms and thin wires.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I have the RCT800 hex arms which I am happy with with respect to price but these must not be confused with the S800 hex arms as the slots for the DJI landing gear will not match. Also.....

Take a close look at the top of the RCTimer S800 package landing gear. If I see it all correctly, the DJI S800 landing gear, prior to the new retractable, uses what appears to be aluminum parts for extra strength at the top high stress point. B
ut the S800 landing gear sold by RCTimer seems to be still using the cast plastic or nylon parts at the top. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=842&productname=
While aluminum parts add additional weight, the extra strength is likely needed at these critical points on the landing gear.

Has anyone seen one of the RC Timer S800 clones yet? They just got marked down to $899, so I'm wondering if they are not selling well or it's just a temp sale.

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=849&productname=

jamienz

I have both a DJI S800 and the RCT S800 right now. The RCT is a direct clone and the arms/spaces for the landing gear clips are in the same place. The fittings you talk about are allow on the RCT just black anodized instead of silver.

There IS a difference in quality though - the DJI has much better carbon in the landing gear, and much better screws. Also the soldering/general QC of the RCT is less than the DJI. Than being said you can buy a lot of screws for $1000, and as long as you check everything before flying the RCT is a good option.

Uklealey

Seems like a good deal, considering the price difference.
You might even be able to build custom landing gear to make up for the low quality one.

Eggbeater

Cool. I am one who has a DJI S800 that has flown flawlessly for nearly 80 long flights now. WKM. Maybe I got a good one or maybe I put it together solidly. I never remove my arms because I think that jub=nction is one source of compliants and those tiny ESC wires could be bigger. If any of the RCTimer's clones have evn smaller guage, I wouldn't risk it at any price. But I was thinking of another version.

What about starting with an RCT800 ($60) for frame. It has bolt on arms like the F550. Then attach some Maytech's ESC's under the motors (two threaded holes provided). Fab or purchase an aftermarket landing gear (tall and short). Seems like a good alternative even to DIY frames. I just built a 1000mm Hex and it is expensive to build it right too. Does anyone know if the $60 RCT800 has the power distribution built into the plates? Can't tell if those spots are solder pads or arm nuts.

View attachment 11366View attachment 11367I have the complete RCT800 which includes both arms and plates and yes, the plates are identical to the DJI F550 having the power distribution built-in.......
only the tradmark/namebrand is different.

Also I added the clone S800 landing gear which is also identical to the original DJI landing gear w/o retract capability. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=879&productname= also added two of the following: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goodspic.dwt&goodsid=840

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR:
1) The RCT800 arms are not designed to accomodate the standard DJI S800 landing gear so some modifications are required.....
2) I had trouble screwing in two of the machine bolts to the landing gear until I examined the holes and discovered that the manufacturer missing threading two holes..... bought a drill and tap and presto..... problem solved. BTW - I have been flying it with my WKM GPS control system and am very pleased with the performance......but especially the excellent pricing.

Some might complain that RCTimer is not playing fair by cloning other products and deeply cutting prices.
My opinion is that some of these items are earlier generation products that DJI has since evolved forward etc. and I like the DIY concept and don't want to pay for additional features that are of little to no value for me..... here are a couple of photos......

Cool. I am one who has a DJI S800 that has flown flawlessly for nearly 80 long flights now. WKM. Maybe I got a good one or maybe I put it together solidly. I never remove my arms because I think that jub=nction is one source of compliants and those tiny ESC wires could be bigger. If any of the RCTimer's clones have evn smaller guage, I wouldn't risk it at any price. But I was thinking of another version.

What about starting with an RCT800 ($60) for frame. It has bolt on arms like the F550. Then attach some Maytech's ESC's under the motors (two threaded holes provided). Fab or purchase an aftermarket landing gear (tall and short). Seems like a good alternative even to DIY frames. I just built a 1000mm Hex and it is expensive to build it right too. Does anyone know if the $60 RCT800 has the power distribution built into the plates? Can't tell if those spots are solder pads or arm nuts.

Attachments

• ready.jpg
    ready.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Red-Green.jpg
    Red-Green.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 397

Eggbeater

Thank you PeterLester for all the good info. I have not owned an F550 and don;t know how the power distribution is laid out and how the solder pads are positioned. I can probably find an assembly manual or build photo to get educated. But as long as the circuit board plates are heavy enough to handle the amperage, It has to be cleaner than using a bulky PDB. That is one thing DJI pioneered that makes good sense. Having clip-on arms that also make the electrical connections?...maybe not so cool. But so far so good on mine. Your rig is exactly what I was describing. Aside from needing servo extensions on the ESC's, I see no other disadvantages.

For my Hex build I got a tall C-shaped landing gear for AP and will also have a helicopter type skid for fun fly. Both have similar battery carriages built in and not-so-fast knurled knob thumbscrews attaching the LG to the main frame. I will post build pics soon. A pretty accurate flyweight (with 2ea 6s 5800's and no camera) will be 11.8# or approx. 1# heavier than my flying DJI S800. So not bad for a 1000mm with heavier G10 hub plates and quality thick walled 1" CF arms. I was anticipating a heavier aircraft.

And as far as one Chinese company stealing from another Chinese company?...I can't lose either way no matter which throat gets cut. But where I CAN lose and what I try to focus on is what is stolen from MY country and how many jobs are lost in the process. Now THAT gets my attention. I buy all I can within the US. The "extra" cost comes back to us in the long run. Make it here and I will buy it here. Until then, I'll give RCTimer $60 for that RCT800.

Wishing you the best with the RCT800..... also please keep in mind that the distance between the top and bottom plate is less such that only the IMU will not fit between the two.

Thank you PeterLester for all the good info. I have not owned an F550 and don;t know how the power distribution is laid out and how the solder pads are positioned. I can probably find an assembly manual or build photo to get educated. But as long as the circuit board plates are heavy enough to handle the amperage, It has to be cleaner than using a bulky PDB. That is one thing DJI pioneered that makes good sense. Having clip-on arms that also make the electrical connections?...maybe not so cool. But so far so good on mine. Your rig is exactly what I was describing. Aside from needing servo extensions on the ESC's, I see no other disadvantages.

For my Hex build I got a tall C-shaped landing gear for AP and will also have a helicopter type skid for fun fly. Both have similar battery carriages built in and not-so-fast knurled knob thumbscrews attaching the LG to the main frame. I will post build pics soon. A pretty accurate flyweight (with 2ea 6s 5800's and no camera) will be 11.8# or approx. 1# heavier than my flying DJI S800. So not bad for a 1000mm with heavier G10 hub plates and quality thick walled 1" CF arms. I was anticipating a heavier aircraft.

And as far as one Chinese company stealing from another Chinese company?...I can't lose either way no matter which throat gets cut. But where I CAN lose and what I try to focus on is what is stolen from MY country and how many jobs are lost in the process. Now THAT gets my attention. I buy all I can within the US. The "extra" cost comes back to us in the long run. Make it here and I will buy it here. Until then, I'll give RCTimer $60 for that RCT800.

Attachments

• RCT800low.jpg
    RCT800low.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 393
  • RCT800close.jpg
    RCT800close.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 271
  • RCT800day.jpg
    RCT800day.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 352

Eggbeater

For my 75th flawless flight (usually approx 14-15min each), I used 3M tape to stick a GoPro on the bottom of my DJI S800 custom battery tray and shot several videos. Can't post yet as I don;t know how to do that large a file. But I didn;t have jello or anything except some roll which was either from my piloting or the wind (up to 20mpg gusts). I don't ever take apart my S800 arms. I leave the wagon wheel whole. I just remove the landing gear. I don;t know how many were sold versus how many crashed due to actual mechanical flaws. My arms can flex and the landing gear certainly does tiwst and rack. But with only Graupner props replacements, I have been one happy camper.

I am nearing completion of my scratch built 1000mm Hex which I built only to overcome some fitment issues I coudn't buy ready made. The bolt-on arms of the clone S800 would clear up a lot of worries for some and I think it is a good platform choice for the money. I question whether the circuit board copper is thick enough but it seems to be. So I wouldn't hesitate to get one if you can fit all your gear and a decent helicopter-type landing gear. I would've gone that route if I had not had so many things to do. Like 1" thick walled arms (CF), hub plates that weren't CF, plate spacings, dome cover, landing gear and future gimbal mounting etc. It certainly is nice not having to fab if you can find exactly what you want. I couldn't. But I will keep this clone in mind for sure.

Egg

Last edited by a moderator: