Pre-release footage from GoPro Quadcopter

Old Man

So the correction for the concave horizon issue was to make it convex? very good stabilization and color rendition though.

violetwolf

Yes, I've never been a big fan of "the gopro look" either. They do have a big market share though so I'm sure they do well.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'd guess the image quality is going to be less of an issue by the time this comes out. The stabilization looks good but if they really want to impress they should do a solid three uncut minutes of footage in a dynamic environment and with an unstable atmosphere demonstrating the strength of the stabilization, IMHO

:)

jfro

Aerial Fun
My thoughts after 1 viewing the other day.

1. Thought stabilization was ok. It should be, this stuff isn't rocket science anymore and they have the engineers and coders to make it happen.
2. I would never consider buying that setup if that camera is the best they got. One of my big complaints over the years (besides the fish-eye) with GoPro's, is their lack of exposure control. IMO, to properly film from a drone, a good portion of the time you have to be able to change exposure, preferably with a ND filter or F stop. Last resort is the ISO settings. There are too many times with the GoPro when shooting in the forests, in dark settings, etc. when they set the exposure to bright for the dark areas to bring them up and your grey or light blue sky gets blown out. Frustrates the heck out of me. Of course it's no problem when shooting against a bright blue sky, but where we live and shoot, bright blue sky is the exception, not the rule....

While I was VERY disappointed in the footage from the exposure standpoint, I also thought it's a good start and since this is a pre-release video, let's hope they come out with a better camera. The DJI x3 and x5 along with the soon to be released Black Magic Micro Cinema camera have set a new bar. Control while flying to set the correct exposure while monitoring your levels on the ground. Without that, they will only succeed if it's the lowest cost MR out there with a camera.

Bartman

I guess I'm more willing to give GoPro the benefit of the doubt on this and wait patiently to see how much they've been paying attention to what our worldwide community has been discussing for what has become years now.

If they develop a quadcopter system without putting complete camera control into the hands of the pilot then they are just plain stupid. If they don't incorporate a monitor system that works great then they're just plain stupid. If they don't have 4k, they're really stupid! Whether people need it or not it's an upcoming standard if not already a standard.

For what it's worth, I bought a $15 micro quad last time I was in China and it flies great! It's so much more dialed in than the micros I was flying this time last year. The long and short of it is that GoPro will have to deliver a first rate quadcopter that happens to also have world leading camera performance and fully integrated camera controls.

But I wouldn't expect them to give any of that away with a first peek teaser video so I'll wait and see what they deliver to market.

GoPro has the ability to see new projects through to completion and their quality is generally excellent. This shouldn't change because of a new venture like a quadcopter so I'm optimistic we'll see something great.

jfro

Aerial Fun
If they develop a quadcopter system without putting complete camera control into the hands of the pilot then they are just plain stupid. If they don't incorporate a monitor system that works great then they're just plain stupid. If they don't have 4k, they're really stupid! Whether people need it or not it's an upcoming standard if not already a standard.

I agree with all you said. They certainly have the ability to get it done. I'm just a bit worried that they will keep up with their auto exposure as they done for 4 version of the GoPro.

Since they already do 4k, I'd assume they will do it again. I'm excited about the Black Magic Micro I have on order, so it should be obvious that 2k isn't a deal breaker for me. There is much more to a good image than resolution. The BMMC should deliver on what's really needed for a good image. Dynamic range, color fidelity, compression etc, which is more important to me than the pixel count. Certainly I don't want a low res image, but 2k is ok if everything else is top notch IMO.

I have 4k cameras and seldom shoot 4k. My online storage is 16 TB that is 3/4 full. Plus the 16TB to back it up. That's mostly video and photo's. If it were all 4k, my storage needs would be 3x to 4x.

99% of the population can't see the difference between 2k and 4k is another reason I don't shoot much in 4k.

But, if I were making the camera for business, I'd make it 4k, because that's the magic word. I can't imagine them not making a new camera with radio control and 4k....

Bartman

But, if I were making the camera for business, I'd make it 4k, because that's the magic word. I can't imagine them not making a new camera with radio control and 4k....
i guess you could basically sum up my whole post with just that! :)

Old Man

I think we are failing to recognize that Go Pro, and most of the test that mass market, target the general consumer market. All they want do do is shoot pretty pictures as easily and quickly as possible. The vast majority of them do so in a camera's "auto" mode. For that reason alone I would not expect Go Pro to add more functionality.

Increased functionality and pro level photography is a specialty market, adds cost and complexity, and reduces sales volume, which in turn causes higher price levels. All of those reduce overall profitability for the corporate mindset.

Bartman

but who with a GoPro ever thought they weren't the most awesomest in the galaxy at whatever they were doing?? isn't there a certain amount of narcissism in buying a camera that most people aim directly at their face and then expect everyone else to watch? and don't you think a lot of those same people will ave to have the newest best tech from GoPro?

the stock has been tanking, maybe it's worth the risk to build a small position?

Old Man

Bart,
You just named a couple if factors that justifies not liking a Go Pro, the camera for everyone that looks in a mirror and says "I love me!"

Y0urDaddy

I have a GoPro hero 3 on my F450 right now. It is ok for what I am doing, but I actually don't care too much for how some of my videos come out. I have not had the 450 in the air for a while, I crashed it a few weeks ago and have been slow to put everything back together.

Have any of you guys ever checked out the Yuneec multi-rotors? http://www.yuneec.com/

I know that a fairly large US company recently invested in Yuneec, but I have never seen one of their multi-rotors to know if they are worth the cost. The typhoon 4k looks cool and all but I am not sure if it is something I would go for. I tend to be the type that likes to build my own stuff.

Bartman

A friend of mine bought one, tried it for a little while and then he bought a Phantom 3, just sayin'.

Old Man

The "Q" and Typhoon series of Yuneec are good for what they are but very, very slow. There's also about a .3 to .4 second latency in the video feed.

For higher speeds and expanded maneuverability using the same cameras look at the Blade series from Horizon. Those are rebranded Yuneec. The CGO-2 cam is 1080 and the CGO-3 is 4k.

For either the Typhoon or the Blade there's a good customer service network.

Y0urDaddy

I may see if I can find one in a local store to look at. Not too sure if I want to buy one though. I still have an F550 frame I need to decide if I want to build out and all. I took my Fat Shark gear off the F450 to mount the GoPro and gimbal. If I build out the 550 ever I was thinking of making the 450 an FPV only set up.

Y0urDaddy

My Bad...

On the GoPro topic, I am not too sure if I would go that route again. The main reason I went with that camera was I found a rather cheap gimbal for it on Amazon. I have not really followed their efforts to make a multi-rotor much, but I had been spending a lot of time studying for a certification test.

Old Man

A Go Pro copter would have to have a pretty low selling price to be competitive. Anyone can buy a good 2 axis Go Pro gimbal for under $100.00, and when on sale for under $50.00. I saw Tarot 2D's a couple weeks ago for about $30.00. A 3 axis isn't all that expensive either. If you have an 8 channel Tx and Rx you've got most of the fixin's if you have a decent copter and a Vtx. Unless they come up with something truly groun breaking they're late to the party. Real late.