Pixhawk flight modes

Chalagi

Ok guys I was checking things over before I head out this coming Saturday morning to tune my Tarot 680MM.
And in the flight modes this is what showed up for the PWM and the mode.
Fltmode #1 Stable..........PWM....0-1230
Fltmode #2 AltHold.......PWM...1231-1360
Fltmode #3 Loiter...........PWM...1361-1490
Fltmode #4 Circle...........PWM....1491-1620
Fltmode $5 Drift..............PWM....1621-1749
Fltmode #6 Auto..............PWM....1750+

Right now I have Ch #7 in the auto-tune instead of RTL and I will try and figure out the RTL later. Because right now when I try the RTL in the tx calibration section I can't figure out what the heck is suppose to happen and whats not lol. But take a look at what I have and bash me good if things are wrong I"m a big boy lololol.

crayfellow

What radio? I can share my OpenTX settings if it would be helpful. You can use ch8 for RTL if you wish. Personally I like it tied to a dual switch flight mode mix where one switch down overrides the other so it works no matter the other switch position. Then you have 7 and 8 for autotune, save waypoint, whatever else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chalagi

I have the FrySky Taranis and I would like to take a look at your settings to see how close mine are compared to yours

violetwolf

For first flights I would disable all modes except: Stabilize, Alt Hold, and Loiter

Test them in that order:

First take off and fly in Stabilize to make sure its solid and the tuning is good.

Then proceed to test Alt Hold to make sure it doesn't climb or descend while in motion.. It probably will so adjust Alt Hold gains until it holds altitude while flying in all circumstances.

Only then test Loiter mode.

Once these three modes are 100% solid can you proceed to test any of the other automated modes. They all use the above modes to some degree, so if the primary three are out at all you will have serious issues like fly away or crashes.

Don't enable geo fencing either until all is dialed in.

Don't run autotune. It's too stiff and twitchy for photography use. So far every machine I've built fly's great with stock PIDs (except Alt Hold... That's only one I generally adjust)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chalagi

I knew about the auto-tune for photography. But first I need to tune the roll and pitch before going to anything else.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I'll second most of VioletWolf's post.

But I'd put RTL as the flight mode that is triggered when both switches are down, as in "Holy ****! I want it back here down on the ground, now!"

RTL is not something I like to have to think about when I need it. Sorta like all my handguns' safeties are 'forward to fire', or I don't own them.

violetwolf

I'll second most of VioletWolf's post.

But I'd put RTL as the flight mode that is triggered when both switches are down, as in "Holy ****! I want it back here down on the ground, now!"

RTL is not something I like to have to think about when I need it. Sorta like all my handguns' safeties are 'forward to fire', or I don't own them.

Agree 100% I usually put my RTL on the lowest left switch (2 way) and my flight modes above that on the three way switch. It's a knee jerk reaction for me too ;) Mutherf***

cootertwo

Funny, these things have gotten a lot smarter than I am, for sure! I was flying my "stand-by" Iris+ the other day, fired it up outside my door, waited for the satellite lock (green light), then flew it out to the street and buzzed around. Then I hit the throttle and let it climb, and all at once, it took off on it's own! I flipped some switches, and regained control, and brought it down safely. Later, I discovered I had the geofence turned on, and had the altitude set too low, and set to RTL. Which is exactly what it did! or tried to do. I'm still convinced all this technology has come from some captured/crashed alien space ship! Ha!

Chalagi

So I take it that a person needs to turn off the "Geofence". And that part of the program does or does not do what?

Update: I now know what the "Geofence" does but why would you not need it enabled. As I read and understand it keeps the craft from flying away.

cootertwo

Yes, many say to turn off the geofence, "until" you get everything else sorted out, mainly so that it doesn't add to the confusion. However, once everything is working as you want it to, the geofence is a neat sorta saftey function. You can set the distance away from you, and the height at which it kicks in, and assign it to either just give you a warning, land where it is, or RTL

violetwolf

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement here lol.

My suggestions are straight out of the manual... I suggest you read up ;)

Chalagi

As far as the wiki it does not say either way which is good or bad as to disable or enable the geofence. But it does tell the person what it does either way.

Old Man

Since I don't completely trust any flight controller, when using Pixhawk, or any other FC, I set GeoFence or equivalent for any flight to be the maximum distance I feel up to walking to recover an aircraft, which isn't very far. Doesn't matter if it's a first flight or the 100th flight. The vertical limit is generally established to clear any obstacles that are inside the lateral fence distance and still remain below 400' The majority of the time the altitude limit is set for <250'. If the terrain is really challenging the lateral fence becomes shorter. I'm past middle age, over weight, and my knees are older than the rest of me;)

I have this thing about flight safety and public perception. I want to be as safe as possible. If I have tools that will assist in elevating safety levels I use them. The only internal debate I ever have with a geo fence is whether to land or RTL when hitting the lateral fence. If the lateral fence is set for a long distance or the day is windy there may not be enough battery to make it back.

Chalagi

Well that's how I also feel Oldman. I took the 680MM Hexa out for a trail spin and tried to take off in altitude hold and it was a mess I almost did not get it back on the ground. So I armed it in altitude hold and switched to stable mode and the take off was as good as expected for stock settings. About may only problem in that mode was keeping it at a certain altitude for I was constantly move the throttle up and down.

Old Man

I don't know why but I try to always arm, take off and land in Stabilize mode unless I'm doing an RTL recovery. I do those at times just to see how accurate the GPS positioning is for the day. I learned the hard way not to take off in a Loiter type of mode, basically landing once in Loiter and then picking the quad up with the motors still armed. The FC instantly reacted by spinning up the motors in an attempt to control the quad for the manually induced altitude change. Damn new took pieces from my anatomy...

If you aircraft can remain reasonably stable in Stabilize mode it should be tuned well enough to work in Altitude Hold. Try starting everything off in Stabilized and switch to Altitude Hold once 8' or so off the ground to see what happens. Be ready to switch back to Stabilized and hand fly if needed. In Stabilized it is common to need throttle corrections to hold a steady altitude since the mode is designed to provide ease of handling in the different axis having gyro control available. You have to fly it but don't have to work all that hard to do it. Stabilized is one of the "go have fun" flight modes that is also the "go to" mode when GPS takes a crap.

Chalagi

My pixhawk will not arm in stable mode but it will in altitude mode. So after arming the pixhawk I need to get it off the ground 7 to 10ft and switch to altitude. After arming I waiting a long time watching the gps led but it never went solid green it only blinked green steady.

crayfellow

My pixhawk will not arm in stable mode but it will in altitude mode.

Are you sure? The mode referred to as "Stabilize" is essentially identical to "Altitude Hold", except alt hold uses the altimeter (barometer) to try to maintain altitude. There is no reason you should be able to arm in one but not the other.

When connected to Mission Planner, it will tell you which prearm check is failing; that will answer what if anything is preventing you from arming. I do the same as @Old Man; I always arm in Stabilize, and generally land in Stabilize too. The trick is that if you are in Loiter, Alt Hold, or another altitude maintaining mode (all of which use the same altitude controller), you need to be aware of the different handling of the throttle stick between those and Stabilize. For the Alt Hold modes, mid stick is essentially 'hover', where stick down is descend and stick up is ascend. If for example your craft is overpowered, switching to Stabilize when just above mid stick could cause you to rocket into the air, so be aware of that if you are switching while under trees or something :) Eventually you will get the hang of it, it just takes practice.

And there really is nothing explicitly wrong with landing using Land, or an altitude maintaining flight mode such as Alt Hold or Loiter. You just need to be aware that if the landing detection fails, which can happen if you're wandering a bit and taking awhile to land thus confusing the altimeter, when you yaw left to disarm it can engage the motors and flip. Just be ready to switch quickly to Stabilize as it is guaranteed to idle the motors at minimum throttle. This has only happened a handful of times to me, and only in wind or when I was very uncertain about landing. In the common case, landing with confidence in Loiter is completely fine.

So after arming the pixhawk I need to get it off the ground 7 to 10ft and switch to altitude. After arming I waiting a long time watching the gps led but it never went solid green it only blinked green steady.

Blinking green means you're all set; it will blink blue when not yet ready, or yellow if it is failing prearm check (some of this became easier with APM 3.3, and there are beeps between flight modes, and a "no, sorry" beep with it tried for instance to go to Loiter but can't yet due to lacking GPS fix). If you get an OSD set up (such as minimosd or MAVLink-OSD) it will tell you how many satellites you've got, and this can help you be more predictive about when you're ready to go to Loiter. Mission planner will also help with this, particularly since APM 3.3 (the release of which is imminent).

When switching from Stabilize, once you are in the air go ahead and switch to Loiter provided you had a blinking green. Just be ready to fly manually if it doesn't switch for some reason.

Once you get good at flying in Stabilize, try Drift - it is a blast! It will combine yaw and roll into the right stick (assuming mode 2, or whatever is the non-throttle/yaw stick depending on your tx mode) making turns a lot more graceful. Then when not moving forward, you can use it for just yaw. It will also "brake" when you stop moving, to maintain position when you stop. This is as opposed to Loiter, which will 'coast' until it stops.

Cheers!