Panasonic's next GH mirrorless camera will record 4K video late February unde...

kloner

Aerial DP
releasing in may..... you only need the cam unless you want to broadcast hd to external recorders or live feed production like live sports events right? does the external thing do anything to workflow using the sd card to write to?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It definitely won't affect normal recording to sd cards. My understanding is it is mainly for folks wanting xlr mics and those who need an sdi out. But te hdmi will still be what I would use for the 4:2:2 out in a studio scenario. I'm not sure what advantages the sdi out has over hdmi yet. Well find out. For aerials this won't affect anything and is not a needed component.

Quinton

It has a full sized HDMI port, 4 HD-SDI ports two of them 3G, two XLR inputs with manual gain control dials and phantom power, along with a 12v power input.
Basically its only for better sound recording, and recording/monitoring to a field recorder.
Not sure of what field recorders would support it, but you do have the likes of the odyssey Q7 that can record 4k directly to it, They recently released it with support for the FS700 4K.
Still would like to see the sd cards that are going to keep up with the GH4, havent heard anyone talking about them.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
You guys see this?!?!

Panasonic 35mm 4K VariCam Camera

35mm MOS sensor
PL mount
Dockable / detachable recorder can be tethered by cable to body or attached.
Records in a number of formats– including 4K, UHD, 2K and HD.
AVC-ULTRA codecs for 4K
Handles 4K RAW internal.
4096 x 2160 (17:9) 4K image capture
14+ stops of exposure latitude
shoots up to 120 fps
OLED viewfinder with optical eyepiece magnification
Uses Panasonic’s new expressP2 card for high frame rate recording.
Camera has 4 card slots, for two expressP2 cards and two for microP2 cards.
The 35mm 4K VariCam models will launch in Fall 2014.

View attachment 16487

Maybe some dudes flying RED and such might get to work with this bad boy!

Link to more specs: VARICAM

Attachments

• 1926210_10154056270130001_237757508_o.jpg
    1926210_10154056270130001_237757508_o.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 361

Quinton

Was just reading about that this morning..PL mount.
I'm sure it will be a nice price too, things certainly are moving at a really fast pace now.
Wonder what we will see in a years time.

adanac

But they are already flying RED's.

"Maybe some dudes flying RED and such might get to work with this bad boy!"

Link to more specs: VARICAM

[/QUOTE]

Quinton

Was at the Photo Show in Birmingham last couple of days and they had quite a few GH4s to play with, very impressive, and size wise it seems to be exactly the same as the GH3, so Zenmuse users will be happy.
The most impressive thing I seen today was the new Dual Pixel Auto Focus from Canon, you actually have to pay $500 to get this added to the likes of a Canon C100, but it is already in the DSLR 70D, I have not seen better focus tracking in any camera as good as this, theres no tracking back and forward, it just hits focus every time.

kloner

Aerial DP
for us needing to work wind or not, we like the skyjib size rig, a red sized brushless gimbal and 20 amp hours of packs. gives me 15 minutes to go fly around somewhat loner range style with a gh3 with authority like that sedona shoot. Same rig with a red i tend to reign in and do a lot more pure los, just easier to not sweat so hard. but we stepped up our red rig with more power and less weight to take the red to the next level and send off over the cliff..... more longer range style..... higher speed more like a full sized affect. It is all being demo'd and bts of bts of it all. some blog guy pulled it all together and is writting up about it all

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
So I'm sure a lot of us got the ore order notification email this morning. It is indeed $1699 for body and $2000 for the base module. But how do you pre order? I didn't see the option on bh.