Panasonic GH2 general and hack info base

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Tim,

im going more for 720 in 50 or 60 i dont care. Now chance with that up to now :(.
If i leave the cam standing on the balcony with no movement i got up to 5 mins than i stoped it. At the moment the cam moves it crashed 2 secs later.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ill just try the vanilla thing from Eoshd although i dont understand were the differences are if I bring down the 88 unified to 44mbit, why that dosent work but the vanila set at 44mbit should work.

yeehaanow

I was going to suggest Sanity. If you want to go to the source, rather than repackaged patches from eoshd, go to personal-view.com.
The other 60p to try would be Flow motion or Cake, They are all in one place here http://personal-view.com/talks/disc...lt-most-popular-settings-in-one-place#Item_35

The quality is substantially higher in 24p so you might consider using that when you want the best image. It's got its own drawbacks though, ( rolling shutter mostly) but on a smooth shot it is.... Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
My sympathies Boris. I don't like to read your unheeded pleas about the 'hack' not working. It had better bloody well work.

I am really fed up with wasting money on gear that doesn't deliver. I have the 64GB card but no camera yet. I am hoping that the second GH2 will have a correctly functioning HDMI out for direct downlink monitoring without resorting to a second framing camera and then I will also be applying the increased flow rate hack for higher quality video.

Update: I didn't realise there was another page on this thread and your pleas were heeded after all. Kudos to the responders - and I'll shut up.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay sanity is steady now gonna try one a notch higer ! Cant leave it at that and give up having wasted cash on the 95mbit 64 GB card :)

Dune

With the ever increasing momentum of change and development in the tech race it is easy to feel one is always playing catch-up. Internet and forums are all very well but the information you seek is always spread around and very time-consuming to collate and assimilate.

There needs to be a Multirotor wiki. It's just a much more flexible, efficient data structure.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
okay sanity is steady now gonna try one a notch higer ! Cant leave it at that and give up having wasted cash on the 95mbit 64 GB card :)

What results Boris? Have you finally found a reliable and consistent working solution? I have finally got hold of a GH2 and now need to quickly determine whether to keep this one or not. After seeing the Sony CX 730/760 vids in your other thread I might be back on the fence.

... flexible, efficient data structure.

Yeah, that about sums up the MK wiki :dejection:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I used it a couple times now and i had a none recording issue once. Not 100% stable but i trust it enough to use it. I will grab some stuff and edit it and put it online when i find the time.

Concerning the CX 7** I have seen different results.

and this which again is not so good, 50% of it vibrations that can be delt with. Okay it seems pretty windy goto give that one.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
and this one:

but either speeded up but still good or some post on it.

Although no not speeded up so pretty good, cars people move normal.

hehehe the more i look at it its actually very good especially the last long scene and the speed !

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Those last three videos were taken with the Sony CX 730?
The third one does not have the same crispness of the first two.

The thing that concerns me about the FPV fraternity is that a few of them will start to get so intrusive in their efforts to be more and more daring that sooner or later heavier and heavier legislation will be introduced. Skimming the roof and then swooping down over the heads of a crowded swimming pool area might be really cool, man, but when it all goes wrong that tit will make trouble for everyone else.

With regard to the GH2 hack, did you mean that the SANITY 5 had a non-recording issue once?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Japp once the camera crashed on me a 7 min file was written, but I couldn't play it normal and didn't even that to search for a recovery possibility.

Boris

yeehaanow

The gh2 trick is all about spanning. It can only write max file size of 4.3gb so when it reaches the limit it has to start writing a new file. With slow cards and high bit rate hacks this is where it will fail a lot. Certain hacks don't span on any cards, and some only span on the 64g 95mb/s sandisk card.
When spanning has occurred, usually that clip will not play back in camera. And if you turn off the camera or go to play mode it will prevent you from recording any more until you format the card. BUT, if you record a small clip after, you will be able to record more after a power down.
This is the patch I'm currently on and it's been 100% stable in all modes with the 64g card.
http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57705#Comment_57705

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well I have just spent a few hours trawling through personal-view in an attempt to get a handle on 'The GH2 Hacks' and far from clearing the mists of ignorance it has created even more confusion. As I understand it the ball was set rolling by Vitaliy Kiselev who wrote the PC program 'pTool' that permits access to and editing of firmware parameters, but now there is a bewildering selection of weirdly named patches/hacks available from different authors.

Yet it is not particularly clear precisely what they each do or set out to achieve and the fact that half of them leave you with unreliable hardware is entirely disconcerting. I will gladly accept hardware consistency and total reliability over a possibly better image quality 100% of the time, and if the image quality is not acceptable then I don't bother with the hardware at all.

But how does one separate the chaff from the wheat here? Obviously the whole aim is to extract and record the highest quality video possible - and the fact that is even possible at all indicates that as usual the manufacturer is deliberately nobbling the camera by playing too extra-safe - but which release actually works?

Why are there so many options anyway?
What do they all do (or set out/try to do)?
What makes them all different and why are some reliable and some not?
Given that the whole basic aim was to enable more sensor data to be transferred the SD card in order to increase image clarity and resolution, how many ways are there of doing this?

Personally, I am not much interested in 24fps. 25fps and higher is more useful the majority of the time over here.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... I just tested my gh2 with the hdmi converter box and it works fine with no quirks...

This is now the second GH2. I still cannot monitor video during record via the converter. It works okay for playback of previously recorded video but not for regular live preview or whilst recording. Yet it works in both cases with an HDMI equipped LCD monitor.

When you tested yourGH2 with the converter was it for live preview and record or just playback?