Tau Labs OP CC for camera mount stabilization

DennyR

Third Stick

ATTACH]

This is my single operator solution. A third 3 axis stick with top release button :)

Pano-Dirk

I tried the CC board with different settings several times. The tilt axis works fine, but the roll axis isn't usable.
Why? I think, they are similar.
With smooth settings it will not work, with stronger settings it starts to swing by itself and will not stop.
I have changed every possible settings from 0 , 0 , 0 up to 10, 10 , 10 and many different between this.

DennyR

I have to say that this is about the worst camera IMU that I have come across. Any correction to the disturbance seems purely coincidental.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pano-Dirk

Yes.

There are some other problems. When the camera is parallel to the ground ( 0 degree) the cc board works.
But when the camera is tilted down (30 or 40 degree), the cc board has problems and the stabilisation is Bad.

DennyR

i'd think it would do the same thing with a plane too then, no?

This sounds like an accel. problem Have you tried moving the axis around i.e. switch pitch for roll or even turn the board sideways and try the yaw as pitch.
How are your servos configured. Direct drive or geared.
What type of model did you set - plane, heli, ?

DennyR

View attachment 1537View attachment 1538Here is the latest Flight Motion Camera FMC-5 It is using the CC board for camera IMU.
It uses the rigid balanced beam system with a 3 axis camera mount. CC board is currently fixed to the beam which floats on 2 " of soft foam. The shrouds have a vane that creates a side force as power is increased and this provides a more level lateral transition. Most of the mass is mounted on the beam. More follows in the next Vid.

We touched on the term slew mode a while back. Slew mode is when you lock the servo pot at its neutral position and the servo is modified for continuous rotation. This means that the IMU is the controller. As the stick movement increases it's travel away from the neutral point the servo will gradually and smoothly speed up in that direction. As the stick comes back to neutral the servo will gradually/smoothly slow down and stop in a new parking place. Unlike when you are in proportional mode. This is the way that most pro camera gimbal systems work, stabilized or not.
It is not quite that straightforward because if your IMU has any gyro drift (not temp. stabilized or seeing noise) then your neutral position will also start to drift. This in conjunction with higher sensitivity gyros is the area that I am working on.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Blimy Denny theres a few hours and brain cells in there! Nice job.. look forwad to the video.. I have wondered about having the motors like that but just thought if no one eles does it it must not work!.. Should save turbulence over the arms eh?

DAve

CopterCam

Blimy Denny theres a few hours and brain cells in there! Nice job.. look forwad to the video.. I have wondered about having the motors like that but just thought if no one eles does it it must not work!.. Should save turbulence over the arms eh?

DAve

Surely it just transfers the turbulence to below the arms, but it does eliminate a downwash so lift off and landing should be smoother ?

Sid

DennyR

Ah. far too many following in the wrong foot steps I feel. Too many reasons to put into a short post but nothing is done here without a good reason and nothing is too difficult to take a little inspiration from. In a way we are all still pioneers. In the bad old days of my motor racing career there was a saying that when the flag drops the bul...t stops. Now they just turn off the lights and technology alone dictates the winner. It is a fact that 99% of the insane amount of money that is spent in F1 goes into technology that the fans don't know about and would not understand. The FIA themselves are trying to play god and actually manipulate the results with technology. With any luck multirotor will not ever become so technical that nobody but the few can understand it.

matwelli

Ok guys, have the answer.
Tried the test version of the software for CC that has built in camera stabilistion ( i tried for ages to do it with the custom mixes and got no-where fast)

The test software works well, has the ability to control roll/pitch and Yaw of a mount, with RC inputs to adjust each, as well as the ability to adjust servo throw, and the response to RC inputs.

As soon as its released publically (not very far away) i will let ya know

if you want to get it sooner, PM peabody (as he sugested) and get on the testers list

matwelli

Didnt have it on a machine as such, purely on a camera mount, had to trick it into thinking it was on a quad, by combining all input signals into one plug to the reciever, but apart from that was straight forward (if it dosent see the other channels such as throttle and flight mode, it disregards all RC input)

my customer will be mounting on a AV200 shortly, will get some pictures

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Didnt have it on a machine as such, purely on a camera mount, had to trick it into thinking it was on a quad, by combining all input signals into one plug to the reciever, but apart from that was straight forward (if it dosent see the other channels such as throttle and flight mode, it disregards all RC input)

my customer will be mounting on a AV200 shortly, will get some pictures

Matt,
If you get this figured out you'll be able to renew your Hero status for 2012 without the interview or demanding physical fitness test! :D:D:D
Make us proud!
Bartman

DennyR

if you want to get it sooner, PM peabody (as he sugested) and get on the testers list[/QUOTE]

That is like talking to the wall.

DennyR

So can the CC board stabilize a camera platform to a real high standard? You bet it can. I should be able to post some good stuff soon. It did take a little time to get my head around how the config. panels work. Got there in the end. I have CC mounted on the model and not the base plate. My set-up is quite complicated. I use the Custom mixer. I have Camera Roll on channel one which has a proportional output set to attitude. Once set it is never touched during the flight. On channel two (pitch) I have it set to Servo. This works in slew modes so it has some very different PIDs It needs to have a very accurate neutral trim setting and it is working in Axis lock. No drift beyond deadband which is excellent news. The Yaw is also Servo proportional on Gyro rate only. This has a minimal stick input as it is mixed with the models yaw function. It is used to fine tune the camera heading against the models. You could pay a fortune for something that does not work as well. James has done a great job, we just need someone to help with making it more user friendly to set-up as a stand alone camera imu. If I were able write the code I would be doing it.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nice to here Denny.. Are you sharing your findings with James so he can implement your suggestions in the code?

DAve

DennyR

Yes and I will post the settings file in the next vid. A lot going on right now!