No audio alert when Wookong-M powers up

Hi all,

I purchased an S800 with Wookong-M not so long ago, and I now notice that when I power it up, there is no audio alert (that loud sound of about 8 notes)
Otherwise it all seems to work fine.
Does anyone know where that audio gets generated? Is it in the FC?
Is it something I should be worried about?

Many thanks,
Louis

Rainman

Hi all,

I purchased an S800 with Wookong-M not so long ago, and I now notice that when I power it up, there is no audio alert (that loud sound of about 8 notes)
Otherwise it all seems to work fine.
Does anyone know where that audio gets generated? Is it in the FC?
Is it something I should be worried about?

Many thanks,
Louis

When you say it works fine, have you actually flown it and not just powered it on and connect it to the assistant software?

I was under the impression that the sound was generated by rapid commutation of the motors by the ESC and that it isn't the flight controller making the noise but it's actually the diagnostic tones of the ESC. Sounds like somehow the diagnostic tone has been disabled in the ESC although I'm sure the FC could also give out diagnostic info via this mechanism, but ordinarily we diagnose the WKM using the lights. We can be made aware that we have a firmware issue with repeated beeping but I believe that the beeping is a symptom of the problem rather than a diagnostic itself.

Not sure how program DJI ESC's but I would imagine that you'll need them connect it directly to a receiver and not the flight controller in order to program and verify it's setup correctly. I would be concerned as it may be an issue with one or more of the ESCs or a dodgey connection somewhere.

When you say it works fine, have you actually flown it and not just powered it on and connect it to the assistant software?

I was under the impression that the sound was generated by rapid commutation of the motors by the ESC and that it isn't the flight controller making the noise but it's actually the diagnostic tones of the ESC. Sounds like somehow the diagnostic tone has been disabled in the ESC although I'm sure the FC could also give out diagnostic info via this mechanism, but ordinarily we diagnose the WKM using the lights. We can be made aware that we have a firmware issue with repeated beeping but I believe that the beeping is a symptom of the problem rather than a diagnostic itself.

Not sure how program DJI ESC's but I would imagine that you'll need them connect it directly to a receiver and not the flight controller in order to program and verify it's setup correctly. I would be concerned as it may be an issue with one or more of the ESCs or a dodgey connection somewhere.

Hi Rainman - ok, without sounding like a complete idiot, I will have to tell you that the motors/arms are disconnected (I'm rewiring the FPV system)
So that might explain my lack of audio? :)

boranup

ESC's - they make the sound to assist when setting range when you first program them - something you dont have to do with the S800

CdA D

You should hear the ESC's tone each time you power up. If you don't, think about NOT flying. If you don't get a tone then something is wrong with an ESC or ESC's. They make a tone when they arm. That is the way I understand it.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Guys, it is the motors that make the sound. ESCs don't have little speakers in. You'll notice the motors move a little whilst making the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Benjamin Kenobi

Ben its the ESC - have programmed stacks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfa_EizAsNg
Instructions on ESC tones for programming (for Hobbywing)
http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles/sx/file/Manual/HW-01-PL.pdf

Only time any of my motors made a sound was when they had some additional carbon fibre in them :upset:

How does that video show its the ESC? Try programming an ESC without the motor connected. I'm willing to admit I'm often wrong but thought this was common knowledge.

CdA D

How does that video show its the ESC? Try programming an ESC without the motor connected. I'm willing to admit I'm often wrong but thought this was common knowledge.

LOL!!! I'm laughing because we can't seem to agree as to which makes an arming tone. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I'm so excited!

Benjamin Kenobi

I can only find posts that say its the motor that beeps. The ESC generates the waveform which causes the motor to produce the beep. A speaker has coils of wires and a magnet, just like a motor. No cone to amplify the sound though. Shame, we could make our helis produce some awesome kicking tunes whilst flying if so, or that sound the War of the Worlds aliens make which would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

I digress as usual. It's the motor! Final answer.

deluge2

I was prepared to disagree, but looking at ESC programming manuals, there are references to tones from the motor. Also see this reference to preserving (perhaps abnormal) tone generation but disabling motor rotation [http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1966415]. Finally, even DJI refers to ESC sounds coming from the motor...

Steve

I can only find posts that say its the motor that beeps. The ESC generates the waveform which causes the motor to produce the beep. A speaker has coils of wires and a magnet, just like a motor. No cone to amplify the sound though. Shame, we could make our helis produce some awesome kicking tunes whilst flying if so, or that sound the War of the Worlds aliens make which would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

I digress as usual. It's the motor! Final answer.

boranup

All I can say is when I program my hobbywing ESC's they are not connected to motors and they make the beeping sound as per the manual and understand the motors act as a speaker etc...

you do need to understand the sounds so at startup you can recognise a fault

CdA D

I checked with a couple of shops and they said that the ESC sends the arming signal, and the motor makes the arming tone. Maybe some ESC's make a tone, as boranup has said. This I think is as good as it gets.

All I can say is when I program my hobbywing ESC's they are not connected to motors and they make the beeping sound as per the manual and understand the motors act as a speaker etc...

you do need to understand the sounds so at startup you can recognise a fault

Boranup, a slight digression, but you seem to know a lot about this!
I had a slight accident with my S800 EVO (my own stupidity, I won't go into it), but I had to replace three arms.
With the EVO arms/ESC/motors, you need to un-solder the motor from the ESC, and the ESC from the arm.
I replaced all three and when I power up, I get the tones, but the LED (red one) underneath the arm flashes intermittently. I think I may have damaged the ESC with the soldering process, by heating it too much (the original soldering on the board is very hard and heat resistant).
Do you have any ideas about checking the ESC's on an S800 EVO?
Many thanks,
Louis

boranup

Hi Louis certainly no expert but gaining knowledge all the time :)

ESC state for the Evo is found on Page 19 here: http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/s800evo/en/S800_EVO_User_Manual_v1.00_en.pdf

There is no reference to any state of the LED as you describe - some older or original ESC though didnt come on until 30-40% throttle was achieved - maybe you could test this?

Im not sure this helps you at all, if it were me given the investment I would probably err on the side of caution and replace the ESC

Sorry I couldnt be of more help

Regards
Lance