New to fpv : need recommendations on gear

Cswann821

Hello everyone , this is my first visit and post here on the forums.

i am currently building my first multi rotor. It's a next level 650 quad, with the new DJ naza V2 with GPS. I'm planning on useing either my Dx7 or old but reliable futaba 9CH 2.4 FASST for my radio.

So my goal is to get into FPV flight with this quad . I was wondering if anyone could recommend hardware setups to record / view video useing a small monitor via ground station as well as a goggle setup. I'm unsure which way I want to go as of yet, so maybe a video rx/tx system that would let me switch between goggles or monitor would work. HD would be a plus and I don't mind waiting for the new fat sharks, I'd love to try the head tracking system. I guess it's just the rx/ tx for the video signal that I am unsure of... Brands, types that work together ect. I need a lot if education in this area.

One other thing. I wanted to mount a go pro camera, mainly because this is all I know to use and is quality but am unsure of its capabilities. , Are flyers using the go pro to record video with another smaller camera for fps flight view? Or do fps setups use one cam to fly and capture video with?
In my imagination ' I'd like to creat a ground station that will fit into a medium size silver suit case, like the ones usually handcuff to people in the movies,which I can pop open at the field with the monitor inside along with everything else I need.
This being said, I also think I would live the feel and experience of having goggles on.

Help me get started with a system / hardware setup that works and is reliable with of course good video capture but won't break the bank.

Thanks , Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
a basic video system is a video transmitter, video receiver and a camera with an analog output. it can be a red epic with hdmi converter to a hero to a security camera. the only issue with a hero for an fpv camera now is it runs on it's own batteries and it's something else you gotta charge and use within the time the cam is useable, mines like 20 minutes a charge. i prefer a security type camera. they run off the flight packs so there on if your rig is flyable, they have a special white balance that helps make flying into and out of the sun better. my favorite is security cam 2000 pixim cams model pz 0513

for a beginner a monitor is the only way to go. it is so much easier to be able to look at monitor and look up at the rig versus being under hood of goggles. the ready made 8" monitor paired with a immersion 5.8 600mw tx and uno 5.8 is the ticket. match it up with a set of spiro net and the patch and you got as good as it gets at this level. i'd suggest saving up for goggles after this purchase. it's a extremely overtaking feeling but it makes it hard to get good. it is also a deal where it's super hard to peel them off and land los so you are almost forced to take off and land fpv.....

bolton hardware on ebay has some nice cases. the monitor i suggested have a tripod mount under them and is the best way to use it

video captures are tricky. some are clean, others are dirty little pigs. best way to use them is passively in other words don't watch through them but give them a feed like a/v2 for the capture and av/1 for the monitor/goggles. prevents alot of misery I'm using the turnigy little dvr and it's working fine but you can not watch through it like mentioned above. it also can cause interference on 2.4 video. seems to raise the noise floor alot. i had this crappy one from china that was big and twice as much and it worked killer

DSC00381%20%28680x1024%29_595.jpg

004%20%281024x767%29_595.jpg

012%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
kloner,

how would you compare the 5.8ghz immersion stuff to the blacksheep 2.4 ghz lawmate stuff?

bart

kloner

Aerial DP
it kinda depends on the area and your winlingness to use the single use permit channels. 2.4 on 2410 or 2400 sucks, ton of interference. channels 5 and 8 work amazing but is illegal. 5.8 all work, are all legal, both have about the same quality of view but the 2.4 keeps going further and lower than the 5.8. all my rigs these days have one of each on board and i notice alot of the same interference like when were hiding from being framed, but when i get out in the open and get out there, the 5.8 fades where the 2.4 is just getting going. Tall masts are a must on these cf framed rigs....... and cp omni on the rig with a patch works best on 5.8... with a multi rotor you only need omni on both sides for 2.4

the only time i've had problems in the 2420-2510 was around broadcast trucks at a live event.

lawmate gear is rock solid but needs a v regulator and immersion can be wired right into the flight pack,,, new ones i think do up to 6s

Bartman

ok, thanks for that. you're running 2.4 ghz radio and video systems with no interference? or are you using UHF transmitters for flight control?

there's a warning about using 2.4 video and flight gear on one of the websites but I've been under the impression they live side by side ok.

kloner

Aerial DP
the only 2.4 i run is video... 433 for rc

i was flying a 2.4 cinestar a couple weeks back with 8 lbs of lidar stuff, one of the stuff was a 2.4 wifi connection to the ground. Everytime i got in one spot 80k rolled up on it's side and i had to decide,,,, here or there. We brought it home after two of them in one piece. Thank god for mulch. keep each frequency set one a rig....433, 900, 1.2, 2.4, 5.8

Bartman

yah, for the short distance i'm flying the 5.8 is fine. but everyday i'm trying to learn new things as i wander across the web......so much to learn.