New DJI F550 hex with 2-axis belt drive gimbal...

GGoodrum

I decided to start this thread to document the testing we are doing on this new gimbal/mount setup for the new DJI F550 hex setup. While doing the build, I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that not only was I getting very fast GPS locks, even indoors, my pesky gimbal drift problem, once the GPS was locked in and active, had vanished! Well, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. :rolleyes: As part of the new F550 Hex build, I decided to use the newer GPS module that Sidney sent me, via Robert, mainly because it had a longer cable than my original unit. Anyway, I had tested this unit, before, but I was still seeing the same gimbal drift problem, so I continued to use the old module, as it was already mounted. On this build, I had a new mounting for the GPS antenna/module, on a small aluminum plate that is attached to the upper F550 plate. This gets the GPS as far away from the IMU as possible, but the old module cable wouldn't reach. With the new one, I also put a couple pieces of copper tape on the underside of the GPS module, before attaching it to the mast. This is the tape XA provided with their v1 GPS module, for putting on the inside of the dome.

First thing I noticed, when I fired up the WK-M, with the Assistant connected, is that it only took about 45 seconds to get a full GPS lock, and this is indoors. :tennis: With the old module in my old setups (VC-600-X8; XA Hexa...), It usually took 7 or 8 minutes, just to go from 3 flashes to 2 flashes. After the initial shock wore off, the second thing I noticed is that the gimbal drift issue was gone as well. :confused: I really don't know what to say. Maybe Frank was right all along, and most of my problem was hardware related, or maybe the new 5.02 firmware, in conjunction with the new module fixed it, or maybe it has something to do with that, and the new gimbal's "tuned" deadband spacing I'm uisng (deadband is programmed to be 1ms...). I'm totally at a loss to explain this, but at this point, I'm just so happy it's working right that I really don't care. :frog:)

In the video below, it is clear that with the GPS active (1 red flash, or less...), there is clearly none of the "twitching" that we'd see around the neutral point. I've got the gimbal gains dialed in pretty well. I know this is not $2k DJI gimbal-like performance, but it is pretty damn close. :rolleyes: This is with 12-bit digital servos, running on 7.4V, and it's using the "stock" WK-M gimbal outputs. The speed of these servos, on 7.4V, is about .10 seconds. I'm also going to try another version that is about .06s on 7.4V. We went with the torque-ier, but slower, versions initially, but that was overkill, especially the GoPro version.

In any case, the proof-of-pudding, so to speak, will be to see how it does with real airborne footage. That is the next step. I just need to balance and install the props, which I hope to do before the SB starts later. :)

We will have two versions of this available (starting next week...), one like you see here, that is optimized for use with a GoPro, in its protective case, and second, slightly larger version that is sized to fit a NEX-5/7, a GH2 or a 550D. There will also be an option for an "inline" version of GoPro gimbal/mount for use on a F450 quad. The F450 inline GoPro mount will be $375. The F550 hex version of the GoPro gimbal (shown below...), with the integrated landing gear mount, will be $475. The larger NEX version of the same thing will be $500. We will also offer a combo deal that will include both the GoPro and NEX yoke/tilt assemblies for $700. It only requires removing three screws and loosening a set screw to swap the two yoke/tilt assemblies.

Anyway, I'm working to get my old TPpacks.com site "reborn", to make these available on, and Bart is in the process of setting up a vendor support section here. :)

-- Gary

Attachments

• F550 GoPro-01.jpg
    F550 GoPro-01.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 521
  • F550 GoPro-02.jpg
    F550 GoPro-02.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 438
  • F550 GoPro-03.jpg
    F550 GoPro-03.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 438
Last edited by a moderator:

GGoodrum

I finally got around to doing the first flight of this setup. It truly is amazing how stable the WK-M is, especially now that I have the new GPS module installed. Before, it used to take 7-8 minutes just to go from 3 to 2 red flashes, and most of the time, over 10 minutes to get down to 0 flashes. Now it takes less than 2 minutes to get to 0 flashes, sometimes less. Anyway, this setupdoes a much better job of holding position.

I started out with the gains off enough that the pool noodles on the skids were visibly vibrating. The isolation scheme used on the gimbal, however, kept these vibes out of the video, as there was zero jello.

Tomorrow, I'll find a more open space, and try this with stronger winds. This afternoon the winds were pretty light. Anyway, Robert was right. The F550 is a ton more stable than the quad. Very smooth. :)

-- Gary

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
That is looking very impressive. A very affordable solid combination. I'm really really liking the F550 for a small camera platform.

cortez123

Robert, why do not you answer e-mails from my partner and friend Daniel Hollanda? We are waiting for the charger you have not sent yet and we are being hurt by your service.

GGoodrum

Gary,

Close up pick and explanation on how you mounted the GPS pole.??

I'll try and take a better pic later, but basically I used a plate and shaft adapter from a Lynxmotion.com Servo Erector Set kit that I had from some earlier gimbal work I was doing. I simply drilled three small holes in the F550 top plate with a Dremel.

-- Gary

Attachments

• F550 GoPro-06.jpg
    F550 GoPro-06.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 408

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
F550 ARF pre order is open and active on our site.
Expect to ship on the 15th to customers.
Free 2 day shipping.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Per request of a customer and for the coming F550 GoPro and Nex5 mounts that GaryG and I will be carrying I went out and logged some numbers with 2.5lb weight and 4s 5000mah. I'm thinking 9-10mins no problem and the mount will be lighter. (GarryG will chime in on that, my mount arrives this weekend).

First pic is with 8" props and Max amp draw

Second pic is 10" props and Max amp draw.'

Third pic is 10" props and Hover amp draw.

Fourth pic is test mule. Not pretty but....
smile.gif

View attachment 2699View attachment 2700View attachment 2701View attachment 2702

Attachments

• F550weighttests8.jpg
    F550weighttests8.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 303
  • F550weighttests10max.jpg
    F550weighttests10max.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 279
  • F550weighttests10hover.jpg
    F550weighttests10hover.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 304
  • F550weighttests.jpg
    F550weighttests.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 271

GGoodrum

I'll try and get some endurance tests done in the next couple days as well. My setup, with two 4s-3300 packs and the GoPro, has an AUW of 6lb 8.9oz/2974g. I'm guessing 10 minutes, with a reserve, shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to do some more tests today, to try to wring out the gimbal performance. I'll post some video later.

We should have GoPro and NEX gimbals/LG mounts ready to ship the same time the hex kits go out. They are in production now.

-- Gary

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Mount arrived and I worked on it today.

Very impressive stabilization. I'll get some videos this week.

Very fluid and smooth on the stabilization.

jamienz

Hi DJIUSA,

do you have them in stock yet. I am keen to drop the cash on a F550 and the mount as soon as you have them!

Cheers

Jamie

GGoodrum

I've got the first lot of these now, and will be making them available this coming week, via my website, TPpacks.com, which I'm in the process of rehosting/redoing. I still need to package the major assemblies and mounting hardware into individual kits, and finish the instructions. Also, I'm waiting on the servos, which are due in this coming week as well.

As soon as we get this going, Robert will also list these on his site.

More later...

-- Gary

capo99999

Yes, please! I've been trying to be patient these past several weeks waiting for DJIUSA to get stock for the f550 and gimbals. But when you and others keep posting about the great success you're having with your new toys, it makes it more and more difficult to keep waiting. :)

Keith Soucy

GGoodrum

Servos should be here Thursday, so I should be able to start shipping Friday. I'm still struggling to get the website finished. :dread:

Here's my latest video:

I've tweaked the gimbal gains a bit more, and I've installed the "production" version of the landing gear, which is an inch shorter than the prototype I have been using. There's also a second layer of isolation in the latest version, between the bottom F550 plate and the LG adapters. This eliminated a pesky vibration that was getting through to the pool noodles on the skids. Anyway, now the LG is isolated from the F550 frame, and the gimbal is isolated from the LG. :)

My only remaining issue is that I'm getting a slight bit of servo chatter that is being caused by some platform vibrations getting past the WK-M IMU's internal dampening. This is causing some small "corrections" to be sent out the gimbal outputs, which causes a slight chattering that occasionally shows up in the video. I think part of the problem is I still haven't hard-mounted the IMU. It still has foam double-sided tape instead of the stuff that DJI provides.

In any case, the gimbal, with the isolation, is working quite well. I've tried using an FY-30A mounted on the isolated side of the gimbal, and there's zero chatter. It is smooth as silk. The only issue is that the FY-30A gains are adjust via these small 1/4-turn pots, so it is hard to get the gimbal gains dialed in perfectly. Later I will also try my v1 XA FC/AHRS combo, as a separate gimbal controller. This I know works really well because the gimbal outputs are set at 500Hz, instead of the 100Hz the WK-M/Naza uses, so small movements are even smoother. Anyway, I think removing the foam tape from the IMU mounting will "cut the chatter", so to speak. :)

-- Gary