New Build Suggestions...please :)

Hello All,

Thanks for your time!

I want to build the highest performing single operator OCTO rig possible. I am thinking either Cinestar or Droidworks frame with either a Zenmuse or Cinestar gimbal (shooting with SONY NEX 7). AS far as flight brains- I am familiar with DJI (naza) and have had decent luck with it but am not totally sold- plus I see many members with issues with their DJI/WKM. I have heard only good things about Hoverfly- which I think would be my 1st choice, except my first choice of gimbals is the Zenmuse which requires WKM....

So what should have priority....the Zenmuse (and "compromise" with WKM) or run Hoverfly and use a diff (cinestar) gimbal.
Although I, of course, do not want to waste any money, the budget is not the biggest concern...I just want the most reliable, best performing rig possible.

I would love any and all other ideas and suggestions! Thanks so much!!

----one note to add. Part of this build might seem like over kill (3 axis gimbals for 1 man operation, octo instead of hexa)....the plan was to be able to upgrade the rig when the time is right to be "RED/ FS700" ready. I realize the zenmuse only holds a NEX7- could be sold or used on another rig. Up in the air as to which Cinestar gimbal (what i need now vs. spend the extra $ to be prepped for the upgrade?)

I would LOVE to hear ANY/ALL suggestions, additions, etc. THANKS AGAIN :)

-Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
B-Eye C

I'm partial to the frames I've designed, my website sucks but here's the pitch page regarding my XY design. The website is due for major improvements any day now including the ability to order from the shop on the first try! Frames will be ready to ship in a couple of weeks when the landing gear is in stock.

http://aerdro.com/?page_id=98

IMHO, my EOSc (servo driven like Cinestar, NEX to Canon 5D with tagalong GoPro mount) is a great choice to go along with the frame and there will be an interchangeable NEX based brushless gimbal that will allow for roughly twenty minute plus flight times with two 6000 mah 6S packs. With room and lift for four packs I'm not quite sure yet how long you can fly with 24000 mah and about a pound and a half of camera/gimbal but we'll find out soon enough. I'm converting a short GoPro video taken this afternoon, i'll link to it when it's ready.

FWIW, there's a little bird working very hard in my shop to make 3 axis gimbals obsolete. he hasn't told me much but he's optimistic. :)

Bart

STEVE5

Hi Brian,
I am on the same way as you. But also I'm a newbie who has never flown! I think that everybody on this forum wants same thing. Fly as a bird without any limitations with best possibilities of safety, for a longest time as it is possible. Our time bring to us wide spectrum technics and knowlidges and maybe we will get what we want, but after that remains one thing. Idea. What we want to say, to who. It is about one thing.

So i am thinking about 2xHercules III for coax octorotors with 16x T-Motors MN 4014-9 400kV on SkyJIB 8 frame with retracts. For now have PH AV200 with Picloc 3X. But also my budget is not unlimited. Driving all the craft with gimbal together is possible only thru one device. 3DConnexion Space Pilot or Navigators. For natural movement and possibility react on every situation by two fingers, targetting your mind to what you want to shoot subconsciously. So i am working on this, and maybe others! Ido not know but maybe only one way how to drive it by one controler like WKM, is parallelized two coax quad X4 on one 8x booms fame, like what i have. Little bit is about the distances and precize work, but maybe it could be done. I know that this is for me, like an beginer, too much. And i know, that without this forum is impossible, but calculations and ideas are stronger.
At last i am so sorry for my bad english and whish you good luck.

PS: Of course i would like to start up with base octo, but we are on the way..
best regard to MF and to you Brian

Bart-

Thanks so much for your advice! As i was reading the info in the link I thought I understood but became a bit confused as to what an xy8 is or looks like- im sorry :/
Do you have a pic of one? It all sounds on point though- im definately interested. So you dont think the Zenmuse is worth chasing?...is that any way related to your opinion of WKG?
Thanks again- I really appreciate it!

I'm partial to the frames I've designed, my website sucks but here's the pitch page regarding my XY design. The website is due for major improvements any day now including the ability to order from the shop on the first try! Frames will be ready to ship in a couple of weeks when the landing gear is in stock.

http://aerdro.com/?page_id=98

IMHO, my EOSc (servo driven like Cinestar, NEX to Canon 5D with tagalong GoPro mount) is a great choice to go along with the frame and there will be an interchangeable NEX based brushless gimbal that will allow for roughly twenty minute plus flight times with two 6000 mah 6S packs. With room and lift for four packs I'm not quite sure yet how long you can fly with 24000 mah and about a pound and a half of camera/gimbal but we'll find out soon enough. I'm converting a short GoPro video taken this afternoon, i'll link to it when it's ready.

FWIW, there's a little bird working very hard in my shop to make 3 axis gimbals obsolete. he hasn't told me much but he's optimistic. :)

Bart

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
The Zenmuse is fine but you just ned to be really sure that it is what you want before you spend the money. How sure are you that you'll be happy with one camera using one lens? I believe the Zenmuse also limits you to DJI only which is also a decision that has to be made. Knowing how forums work, I'd guess you're going to get more than a few pitches via PM. See what comes up and take it from there.

Here's the video I shot this afternoon. The Tilt compensation needs a minor tweak but it's very close.

Hey Guys...thanks so much for the responses Steve and Bartman. Bart- your video looks really good man! Do you have a pic of your rig? Im still trying to figure out what a XY looks like :)

Heading to Aerial Media Pros today to get my F550 flying. Its been a long road getting to this point (a few degrees at YouTube University- and apx 1000 forum reads) but I am hopeful that today might be the day for flight :)

Back the build topic- thanks again guys. Lets see that XY Bart 8)....

BAM! One trip to Aerial Media Pros my transiever is completely programmed with all functions, bells, and whistles, NAZA firmware updated and set up, F550 FLOWN...IN THE AIR :)
SO STOKED :)
Big thanks to Mitch and Patrick! Cant wait to start filming!