Aeronavics / Droidworx New Build Planned - SkyJib-X4 Heavy Retractable

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
Hi Folks,

I'm Steve

I'd like to introduce myself - I've been lurking around the forums for some time and I'm now looking for some advice on a new build...

I’m planning on something bigger that will take my current gimbal (Zenmuse) and then more as the time comes...

I have decided after much though on the following shopping list:

SkyJib-X4 Heavy Retractable
KW10 V2 pro Motors x8
KW80E advanced esc x8
Droidworx’s Power distribution Board x 1
Xoar prop 15x5

I already have:
DJI - WKM
Zenmuse (GH2)
8 x 6s 8300mHa Lipo

Questions:
Has anybody had any experience with the KW80E/KW60E ESC?
These were recommended for by Kopterworxs - my budget will not stretch to a Hercules board at the moment, so I’m looking for a set of ESC’s that will handle more weight when I go with heavier payloads than the Zenmuse... Is 80A overkill...?

KW10 V2 pro motors - Tiger Motors? any feedback on these....

Power Distribution boards - 1 or 2....

Also any thoughts on different size props on the bottom motors...

Many thanks in advance :nevreness:

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Baja-King,

think the kopterworx guys know best which ESCs work with their motors. Although if you ask me 80A if you are also running on 6s is over kill. You will probably be hovering around 40A to 55 A for the full setup on 6s thus around 6 to 7 A a motor. Reaching the maximum of 20A ( KW10 ) per motor maybe in some rescue situations or the peaks of 30A or 50A hmmm you will never really reach :) But nevertheless even the peaks a 40A ESC should be capable of handling ! To be on the safe side the 60A should be fine. Just remember you re adding weight the higher the specs on the ESCs.

Hmm the weight is not on the webpage of the KW ESCs ask them and compare them to the Maytech, were the 50A opto version would also be a good solution !

KW10 is an option but you should also look at the KW9. They are more than suitable for your setup and may bring you longer flight times !

Boris

Hi

I am interested in the SJ but the X4 Lite. What are you wanting to carry?

I have just built my own Vulcan Y6 with Tiger motors and the WKM which I am really pleased with but with the view to transferring all to a Skyjib X4L.

baja-king

Hi

I am interested in the SJ but the X4 Lite. What are you wanting to carry?

I have just built my own Vulcan Y6 with Tiger motors and the WKM which I am really pleased with but with the view to transferring all to a Skyjib X4L.

Well to start with just my Zenmuse GH2 - But I want it to be able to carry an epic/Sony F55 as well

baja-king

Hi Baja-King,

think the kopterworx guys know best which ESCs work with their motors. Although if you ask me 80A if you are also running on 6s is over kill. You will probably be hovering around 40A to 55 A for the full setup on 6s thus around 6 to 7 A a motor. Reaching the maximum of 20A ( KW10 ) per motor maybe in some rescue situations or the peaks of 30A or 50A hmmm you will never really reach :) But nevertheless even the peaks a 40A ESC should be capable of handling ! To be on the safe side the 60A should be fine. Just remember you re adding weight the higher the specs on the ESCs.

Hmm the weight is not on the webpage of the KW ESCs ask them and compare them to the Maytech, were the 50A opto version would also be a good solution !

KW10 is an option but you should also look at the KW9. They are more than suitable for your setup and may bring you longer flight times !

Boris

What I would be interested to know is if the Hercules III gives you better flight performance than a standard esc (on WKM)

Basically I have decided definately on the Skyjib X4...
I like the look of the KW10 spec wise but are they worth the premium over the standard T-Motor 3515-15 (€90 vs €45 ex vat)
I want a good ESC but not sure if I want to pay €85 each for a 80A ESC when a 40A €25 ESC will do the same job as I would rather spend less and then upgrade to a Hercules when they are fully released...

hjls3

Interested - will be doing the same thing with an AD8 converted to coax. I have landed on T-Motor and 6s. Frame, WKM ordered.

baja-king

Interested - will be doing the same thing with an AD8 converted to coax. I have landed on T-Motor and 6s. Frame, WKM ordered.

Just about to order all this stuff, will be posting photos and feedback etc.

Think that I will go for the T-Motors but really want to get the ESC choice right!!

Sounds like it will be an interesting build. I've been very curious about the coaxial rigs.

I think Kopterworx uses the same size props top and bottom for WKM, and they've experimented a lot.

Lanzar

First off all for Z15 kw10 are too much but iff you need more power for later then its ok.
Second for KW9 motors 16 inch is minimum if you ask me. KW10 15 inch is minimum.
I would go for 60 amp esc minimum. (when payload is 3.5 to 5 kg 80 is prefered) Specially in hot summer days.
Droidworx power plate. Good for 250 amps so it should hold unless you will carry 5kg payloads. Then you need 2 off them.
KW10 vs tigers stock (difference in KW and some other stuff) Your choice.
With dji you need special mixer for different props. Normal x8 mixer is for same props bootom and top.

Lanzar

What I would be interested to know is if the Hercules III gives you better flight performance than a standard esc (on WKM)

Basically I have decided definately on the Skyjib X4...
I like the look of the KW10 spec wise but are they worth the premium over the standard T-Motor 3515-15 (€90 vs €45 ex vat)
I want a good ESC but not sure if I want to pay €85 each for a 80A ESC when a 40A €25 ESC will do the same job as I would rather spend less and then upgrade to a Hercules when they are fully released...

40 amp esc will burn before you will blink with your eyes in warm weather. And dont say i did not warn you.

My sugestion is to go for herklues.
240 eur droidworx power boards
650 eur esc
Herkules board is little over 1000 eur so this is best buy.

As an owner and beta tester of Herkules III I can say that is the best in the market. The active freewheeling, the safety measures build in and the German build quality make for a easy decision if within your price range.

For a build with no budget limit I would do Plettenberg Orbit 15-22 and 2x Herkules III boards.
For a more budged oriented build I would go with Tiger motor MN4014 motors and Castle creations Phoenix Ice esc's. If for a don't really care if I crash build I would substitute the Castle for one of the cheap Chinese variant esc's (reflashed of-coarse)

baja-king

Quadcopters are just commissioning one now. Where are you on the planet?

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm in Cardiff, South Wales - I had a chat with Geoff about their setup - seems very similar to what I'm after.

I emailed Andreas regards the Herkules III and he told me that they were not on general release yet...

baja-king

First off all for Z15 kw10 are too much but iff you need more power for later then its ok.
Second for KW9 motors 16 inch is minimum if you ask me. KW10 15 inch is minimum.
I would go for 60 amp esc minimum. (when payload is 3.5 to 5 kg 80 is prefered) Specially in hot summer days.
Droidworx power plate. Good for 250 amps so it should hold unless you will carry 5kg payloads. Then you need 2 off them.
KW10 vs tigers stock (difference in KW and some other stuff) Your choice.
With dji you need special mixer for different props. Normal x8 mixer is for same props bootom and top.

Many Thanks Lanzar

baja-king

As an owner and beta tester of Herkules III I can say that is the best in the market. The active freewheeling, the safety measures build in and the German build quality make for a easy decision if within your price range.

For a build with no budget limit I would do Plettenberg Orbit 15-22 and 2x Herkules III boards.
For a more budged oriented build I would go with Tiger motor MN4014 motors and Castle creations Phoenix Ice esc's. If for a don't really care if I crash build I would substitute the Castle for one of the cheap Chinese variant esc's (reflashed of-coarse)

Think I'm leaning towards the Herkules III - I know that nothing is 'bullet proof' when it come to Multirotors - but from what everybody is saying here it sounds like when it comes to ESC's - "if you buy cheap, you buy twice"

From those that have used the Herkules III with WKM can you tell a difference in flight stability and control etc?

Thanks

RomanB

Ill be following this thread as I'm building something very similar right now.

Skyjib x4 heavy/retracts
KW10
xoar 16*5
Hercules 3
cinestar 3 axis
picloc v2 pro

VNBN

We use a SkyJib X4 heavy with DJI, Herkules 3, KW10 and 16x5 Xoar. Nixe setup, but we're still experimenting with the gains a bit.

Standard gains seem to be okay, we even went down to 80 for pitch and roll. But video with the AV200/360/Piclocv2 and EOS 5D is a bit shaky in light wind, not sure wether it comes from the gear rail adapter (red dampers), the 360 axis, or the machine itself.

But at least you can deliver 6x1,5 liters of mineral water (9,5kg) easy with it ... ;-)
Retracts coming soon!

Voeslauer-1.jpg