Need some advice to get better flight time

xnavyguy

All,

I need some help with trying to get better flight times for my DJI F550.

I've searched the forums and found a ton of different threads and since I'm new I'm still learning so please go easy on me. If I forget to post a piece of critical information just let me know.

DJI F550 Stock Motors using DJI 10" props
Naza with GPS
TX - Spektrum DX7S
RX - Spektrum AR8000
Telemetry - Spektrum TM1000

Flame Gear XT landing gear and 2 axis gimbal camera mount

Turnigy 5000mah 3S pack 25-35c weight is 412g (I have 3 packs)

Gopro HD2

All up weight is 2132g

I get about 10 minutes of flight time until my lipo hits 10.5v

I'd like to get more flight time and from what I've read I can swap out the motors and props.

I just ordered 10" Graupner props and they should be here in the next week or two since they're coming from the UK.
If motors are needed, what suggestions do you have for motors that will give me better flight times with an all up weight of 2132g that will also work with the Graupners and fit the stock hole pattern for the DJI F550 arms?
Would going to 4S be better for my needs?

I plan on adding FPV at some point so the weight will increase a bit

I don't do much stunt flying but more video and photography with slow flights and hovering.

I tried to use Ecalc but couldn't find the specs that I needed for the DJI motors that it was asking for.

Any other suggestions you may have for better flight time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Xnavyguy

Search49

Search49
Very first thing I wouldn't fly with the DJI Props. This will decrease your flight time to zero. One thing I can suggest is that you get larger batteries. What type of flight time are you looking for?

kloner

Aerial DP
2.1kilo and stock motors are gonna hit a wall with much more weight. where adding weight only eats batteries faster or doesn't lift it at all. You almost have to go to 4s and somewhere around 9" props, probably closer to 8" for it to fly right

no matter what though, them motors are 125-150 watt, there not very powerful. My 1.6 kilo quad has 1200 watt of motors, the hex i'm building similar in size/weight has 2000 watts of motors

xnavyguy

2.1kilo and stock motors are gonna hit a wall with much more weight. where adding weight only eats batteries faster or doesn't lift it at all. You almost have to go to 4s and somewhere around 9" props, probably closer to 8" for it to fly right

no matter what though, them motors are 125-150 watt, there not very powerful. My 1.6 kilo quad has 1200 watt of motors, the hex i'm building similar in size/weight has 2000 watts of motors

Thanks Kloner. I just ordered the 10" Graupners so should I get rid of them and switch to 9" props instead and go 4s? Any motors you suggest that will fit the bolt pattern for the 550 arms?

xnavyguy

Very first thing I wouldn't fly with the DJI Props. This will decrease your flight time to zero. One thing I can suggest is that you get larger batteries. What type of flight time are you looking for?

I just ordered a set of 10" Graupners for the 550 as I've heard good things about them. I'd like to get 12-14 minutes of flight time if possible. I know I'm asking for a miracle. I'm thinking about looking at different landing gear and camera gimbal to lower the weight.

I'm wondering if 2 smaller lipo's in parallel would be lighter since the weight of my Turnigy 5000mah's is 412g's

kloner

Aerial DP
like tiger 2216 900, axi 22mm, anything 22mm will have that 16x19 pattern. i run the 19x26 on just 2 bolts and get the 28mm stuff...... always have

xnavyguy

Thanks Kloner. I'm looking at the tiger 2216's. 2 questions, would the 800 be better than the 900? I seem to recall reading that the lower the kv number the better for lifting more weight. The second is that they have a 3mm shaft, do they sell a 3mm to 8mm adapter so I can use the new Graupners that I just bought or should I sell them when they arrive and just get different props?

kloner

Aerial DP
i'd get the 900, especialy if you wanted to stick with the 10": graup on 3s...... the 800 start getting into no mans land on 3s, not sure what prop on 4s, probably 9 or 10" ish.

3mm shaft is inside the motor specs. the part for a prop is 6mm that either you use 8 or 9" graupners and ream for the 6mm hole that's in em instead of the 8mm that's at the bottom. Those have 5mm, 6mm and 8.. pre builtinto them. on 10" it takes the graupner 6mm to 8mm adapter. there good to use, no problem with it, just another product..... I'd try 900kv on 10s with 10" prop and go have fun with alot of what you already have, when your ready to fly faster, up the cell count and drop the prop size.

Mine are 1000 kv on 4s and i use 8" and it's just right with 4 motors........ My hex is 650mm, similar weight cause no gimble, but has 760kv motors with 11" and 12" props........ still gotta get it tuned, but that's where 750-800kv on 4s puts you and your frame doesn't support it

Your goal with a dji controller is to get it hovering mid stick in manual mode, then it's as good as it can get.

xnavyguy

Thanks again kloner....great advice. I'm already pricing the Tiger 2216 900kv motors. The new Graupners should be here in a week or so. I'll fly with them for a few days and then will probably order the motors. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions when I'm ready to get into FPV as from what I've read you've got a lot of experience with FPV. I'm not planning on getting anything too crazy but a starter to mid-range FPV setup would work for me.

Xnavyguy

Tomstoy2

4s 5000mah, 2 each in parallel, the mt2216-900's, and the 10" graups you ordered should give you maximum lifting power for everything you throw on it and give you about 14 minutes still leaving 20% in the batterys.

Just did this on my X/A Hexa and love it!
Hovers at mid stick.