Need advise on build.

Hello all,
I am a beginner, but have a basic knowledge of quads.
I would like to know of these parts would work together for a fpv platform in the close future.
As of now, I just want to learn to fly a quad, (have not flown anything except cheapy helicopters).

here is my setup I am thinking of building.

frame: Flip 360 fpv (readymaderc)

motor: Sunnysky 2208 1260kv (x series) (buddyrc)

esc: ZTW spider 20amp opto with simonk (buddyrc)

props: Gemfan 8x4.5 carbon fill (readymaderc)

control board: Open pilot CC3D (Getfpv)

radio: Turnigy 9x (mode2 v2) (hobbyking)

power distribution: The squid v2 for quads xt60 (readymaderc)

battery: Turnigy 2200mah 3s 25-35c (I already own two)

extras: servo leads, bullet connectors, voltage protectors...

I will try my best to reply to any questions or comments.

Any help is always appreciated,

Thanks in advance , Natebird. :)

FlyGirl

I don't know anything about the FC but the rest of it looks okay.... I bet you buy a 2800 battery fairly soon ;)

Really for something like this I would go with a kk 2.1 from hobbyking it's a good price and is really easy to setup.

-Ben

Ok... I have looked at those, but they kind of seem a little "jittery" ya know...
I was wanting something a little more advanced without spending over $120 (is it possible?)

But I do agree that it is easy to setup...
How about the Arducopter apm 2.5 or 2.6? Or the Aeroquad32... a little expensive, but looks smooth.

Keep it coming!!
Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
Ok... I have looked at those, but they kind of seem a little "jittery" ya know...
I was wanting something a little more advanced without spending over $120 (is it possible?)

But I do agree that it is easy to setup...
How about the Arducopter apm 2.5 or 2.6?

Keep it coming!!
Thanks for your help!!
Well... apm is an investment and not really worth it unless you are in to full autonomous flight. Also you could learn on a kk2 then go to more advanced things like naza cc3d apm and multi wii. That is the rout I took and am so far quite happy with it.

-Ben

Ok that makes sense now, I do like the idea with starting out with something cheap and easy, then moving up to more advanced "stuff".
As I have never flown a quad, just helicopters, I think I will go that path.

Any more suggestions?
I am constantly questioning myself on the motors... 980kv or 1260kv or 1400kv
I do realize the more kv the less flight time, but will 980kv provide enough thrust?

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
Ok that makes sense now, I do like the idea with starting out with something cheap and easy, then moving up to more advanced "stuff".
As I have never flown a quad, just helicopters, I think I will go that path.

Any more suggestions?
I am constantly questioning myself on the motors... 980kv or 1260kv or 1400kv
I do realize the more kv the less flight time, but will 980kv provide enough thrust?
It's all about the prop pitch. Lower the kv increase the pitch, low kv/high pitch is most efficient.

-Ben

It's all about the prop pitch. Lower the kv increase the pitch, low kv/high pitch is most efficient.

-Ben

So I would want to get the 980kv motors with like a apc 8x5 or 8x6 prop, so I could run a 4s lipo?

I read that the 8x6 provides too much turbulence on a qav400 where mine is is 360mm, so should I get the

apc 8x5e props (and pushers)
980kv sunnysky
and 4s 2700mah lipo

Along with the kk2.1.5 board

will this setup work well? (sorry I amm a total newb)

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
So I would want to get the 980kv motors with like a apc 8x5 or 8x6 prop, so I could run a 4s lipo?

I read that the 8x6 provides too much turbulence on a qav400 where mine is is 360mm, so should I get the

980kv sunnysky
and 4s 2700mah lipo

will this setup work well? (sorry I amm a total newb)

With 4s you will increase the rpm on the motor so you would need shorter props.
Good guide here: http://youtu.be/HSQGI6u2DlM

-Ben

With 4s you will increase the rpm on the motor so you would need shorter props.
Good guide here: http://youtu.be/HSQGI6u2DlM

-Ben

Thanks,
So I will use this setup

980kv sunnysky
and 3s 2200mah lipo

My question is if it weighs 1000g
then I want around 550g of thrust per motor
Is there a website I can try to find this with? I have tried ecalc but don't want to pay for it (I wont use it that much)

Thanks for your help, I have learned much more already.:)

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
Thanks,
So I will use this setup

980kv sunnysky
and 3s 2200mah lipo

My question is if it weighs 1000g
then I want around 550g of thrust per motor
Is there a website I can try to find this with? I have tried ecalc but don't want to pay for it (I wont use it that much)

Thanks for your help, I have learned much more already.:)
It should be listed on the website you are getting the motors from or the manufacturer that makes them.

-Ben

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you want a FCU with a small learning curve then the Naze32 Acro is top of the list, much simpler than the CC3D to setup, with standard settings it will be close to tuned with standard Baseflight settings.

The KK2.1.5 boards do work but are hard to tune out the wobbles compared to the CC3D and Naze32 Acro.

The 360 size I think is a bit of an orphan size at the moment, 450 and 250 sizes are favorite at the moment for FPV.

Pete

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
If you want a FCU with a small learning curve then the Naze32 Acro is top of the list, much simpler than the CC3D to setup, with standard settings it will be close to tuned with standard Baseflight settings.

The KK2.1.5 boards do work but are hard to tune out the wobbles compared to the CC3D and Naze32 Acro.

The 360 size I think is a bit of an orphan size at the moment, 450 and 250 sizes are favorite at the moment for FPV.

Pete

I understand why you would think that however, nothing beats programming right off the board and at the flying field. Wobbels are not is issue either just a bit of tuning his required.

-Ben

Pete

I do understand that, But I the 250 is too small for me and 450 too big I think. 360 is in the middle... just right!!
The frame I have chosen has lots of amenities (gopro "box" integrated in it ect) so I think I will stick with that.
As of the FCU I really dont know much about them... I am a total beginner, the kk2 is 30 bucks... I upgrade when I ready:).

For props, motor, battery-

props- some 8x5 (graupner, apc ect.)
Motor- Sunnysky 980kv or 1100kv
battery- 2200mah 3s 25c (already own two)

Sound good?
look at my original setup and replace those for these mentioned^^

Thanks for the help and support!!

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
I do understand that, But I the 250 is too small for me and 450 too big I think. 360 is in the middle... just right!!
The frame I have chosen has lots of amenities (gopro "box" integrated in it ect) so I think I will stick with that.
As of the FCU I really dont know much about them... I am a total beginner, the kk2 is 30 bucks... I upgrade when I ready:).

For props, motor, battery-

props- some 8x5 (graupner, apc ect.)
Motor- Sunnysky 980kv or 1100kv
battery- 2200mah 3s 25c (already own two)

Sound good?
look at my original setup and replace those for these mentioned^^

Thanks for the help and support!!
Looks just fine.. for clarification are you using the turnigy 9x or 9xr.

-Ben