Canon 5DMK3 help with setup on S1000v w/Zen Gimbal

BamaDave

Hi Guys,

I've just taken delivery of my S1000V with the Zen gimbal for the Canon 5D MK3. Everything on the machine works flawlessly with the exception I cannot make the camera stop taking timed pictures every 10 seconds. I can activate video record and shutter release but it is still taking the timed shots as well. Can someone help me?

i have set up for 2 operators using Futaba 14SG's.

Thank You,
Dave

BamaDave

Thank you for the prompt reply Benjamin! DJI's destructions say to put the camera mode in manual mode, and to select either the 2 second timer or 10 second timer to activate the remote control. No matter what setting I use, the timed shutter still happens. You can't just select single or burst mode because they aren't associated with the remote control function.

At this point, I just want to be able control the video recording stop and start without the camera taking stills.

Dave

BamaDave

Yes I can set the timer for 2 seconds, and, the camera shoots every two seconds. As mentioned, I can still start and stop video record, and activate the shutter, but the camera doesn't deactivate the timer mode for the remote option.
Thanks for trying Benjamin!

Other than this little nuisance, I think the machine is great.

Dave

Quinton

Yes I can set the timer for 2 seconds, and, the camera shoots every two seconds. As mentioned, I can still start and stop video record, and activate the shutter, but the camera doesn't deactivate the timer mode for the remote option.
Thanks for trying Benjamin!

Other than this little nuisance, I think the machine is great.

Dave

Something not right there, settting it on 2 or 10 secs just means you are setting it onto remote, it does not mean that you will take a picture every 2 or 10 seconds, the 5D can not do that, it would only take a single picture.
When it is on remote it should take a picture immediately when you take it, not wait 2 or 10 secs.
I had the 5D Zenmuse (don't have it anymore) and taking pictures and video options did work correctly.
Can you share any more of your setup?

BamaDave

LOL, Quinton

Yes something is screwy. You say the camera can't keep on shooting every 2 seconds or 10 seconds, depending on setting?
But I have been trying to remedy this all day with no success.
i took the camera out of the gimbal and it behaves normally. It makes me think the gimbals infrared emmitter is constantly sending information for the camera to take a still frame. My understanding is it's bad to power the gimbal without the camera, is this correct? If I can, I would look at the emitter with my infrared camera to see if I could tell what is happening. Sound logical?
And I chose this setup because it would be the least trouble free getting it all set up. Silly me..

Dave

BamaDave

Here is what I have found so far as to the camera taking pictures on its own.
With the camera out of the gimbal, it behaves normally.
With the camera in the gimbal and transmitter #2 (photo radio) turned off, the camera will take a still frame somewhere around every 55 seconds when the remote function is turned on (2 or 10 second self timer).

Quinton

Here is what I have found so far as to the camera taking pictures on its own.
With the camera out of the gimbal, it behaves normally.
With the camera in the gimbal and transmitter #2 (photo radio) turned off, the camera will take a still frame somewhere around every 55 seconds when the remote function is turned on (2 or 10 second self timer).

Have you tried covering up the IR and just using the AV Out/Digital cable that comes with the Zenmuse?
Have you set up channel 5 as your shutter channel.
Are you using S-Bus, and set up on how it says on page 16 of the manual?
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/zenmuse_z15_5d/en/Z15_5D_User_Manual_v1.02_en.pdf

BamaDave

Quinton,

No, I haven't tried covering the IR. I assumed that was the shutter and video control.
All the channels are mapped per page 16 and yes to using S-Bus.
If I can't shoot stills while recording video's, how do I deactivate the shutter release and just control the video record start and stop?

I would like to thank everyone for their help with this minor nuisance.

Dave

Quinton

Quinton,

No, I haven't tried covering the IR. I assumed that was the shutter and video control.
All the channels are mapped per page 16 and yes to using S-Bus.
If I can't shoot stills while recording video's, how do I deactivate the shutter release and just control the video record start and stop?

I would like to thank everyone for their help with this minor nuisance.

Dave

Well that was only something to try, I am not sure if the USB connection can also make the shutter work, just wanted you to try and see.
I unfortunately do not have the 5D Zen anymore, it went back.
The shutter stop/start and video recording did work perfectly though for me.
I take it you have it connected into the AUX 2 port (If I can rem correctly) on the GCU?
Maybe you can list how your transmitters setup it may be something simple like end points or something.

BamaDave

Thanks Quinton

Yes the receiver is plugged into Aux 2 on the GCU.
Everything is working, shutter release and video record start and stop, but still getting the unwanted still frames.
I'm about to leave for vacation and having to leave it home. I'll still be online trying to figure it out so hoping to have a remedy when I get back.
Thanks to all who are helping me work through this.

Dave

Quinton

Thanks Quinton

Yes the receiver is plugged into Aux 2 on the GCU.
Everything is working, shutter release and video record start and stop, but still getting the unwanted still frames.
I'm about to leave for vacation and having to leave it home. I'll still be online trying to figure it out so hoping to have a remedy when I get back.
Thanks to all who are helping me work through this.

Dave

Just one last thought, if you are using a Wookong it does have at least version 5.26 installed as that is required.
Also check to make sure that your reset switch is working and it goes forward on reset and levels, and also your switch goes straight down too, this was the major problem I had.
I have heard that they have fixed this now, but I still dont see any firmware update for it.

BamaDave

Through due diligence, the issue of the gimbal activating the shutter release, has been resolved. Adam Willman from E Mergent Hobby in Huntsville, AL, found a work around the problem. Somewhere the gimbal was firing the IR emitter telling the camera to snap a frame. The Zenmuse is being controlled with a Futaba 14SG radio and was initially setup using S Bus. Adam hard patched each channel from the receiver to the gimbal and the problem was solved. I don't know what was causing the conflict but forwarding this to DJI as my solution.

Thank everyone that offered advice to me. I look forward to getting to know everyone here and learning much. Please bear with this old man, it takes me longer to everything these days.
Now I can start logging time with the S1000V and getting my creative juices flowing.