Naza-M V2 Fly away

Aerovideo

Thinking about going with a Naza-M V2 but was wondering if people are still having fly aways with this? I've read about a lot of fly aways with the original Naza, has that been resolved?

Thanks in advance!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Electronics can be temperamental, I personally have never had any issues with fly aways or anything like that. My Naza's are V1 and have been reliable, so I don't really know what to tell you.

Something you should remember, you will hear more about people having fly aways or accidents on here than having someone tell you how great and successful a flight was. No one ever comes on these places and tells you "OMG I just had the most amazing uneventful flight". You always hear the negative stuff, so don't let that crap influence you in a purchase. If you ask me, they are no better or worse than each other V1 vs V2.

stanleyy

Electronics can be temperamental, I personally have never had any issues with fly aways or anything like that. My Naza's are V1 and have been reliable, so I don't really know what to tell you.

Something you should remember, you will hear more about people having fly aways or accidents on here than having someone tell you how great and successful a flight was. No one ever comes on these places and tells you "OMG I just had the most amazing uneventful flight". You always hear the negative stuff, so don't let that crap influence you in a purchase. If you ask me, they are no better or worse than each other V1 vs V2.
flyaways have been reported on both V1 and V2 devices. The problem is, that most people have been flying without issues for months/years (like myself), then observed flyaway (+ damaged some gear - Gopro3 Black Edition in my case) and then again have been flying for long time without a problem. It seems that there are still some issues in Naza software which may cause flyaway in GPS mode. There are also indications that flyaway can be healed by switching into atti or manual mode. So it depends on the user - if you want a bulletproof 100% working life critical system, then look elsewhere. If you want a flight controller that is fun to fly, easy to use and very stable in manual/attii mode, then Naza is a good choice. The flight characteristics of 3.x firmware are exceptional and that is for many of us the most important factor.

photobobga

My 2 cents worth. Have both versions. 1.5 years of flights, no issues. Would use a NAZA again and recommend them to others

RobertsUp

I was paranoid because I read so much about flyaways before my first build maidened. My thighs were shaking.

Five hours of flying time on my Naza V1 3.12 F450 now and no issues. Tested RTH 10 times now and each time it made me nervous. Not anymore. It works perfectly. Receiver radio loss failsafe is set up okay and Naza Assistant shows the failsafe box lit up blue when I turn the tx off. No need to test it in flight by turning the tx off. That's a showoff trick and frowned upon. That function will be there if it's ever needed. I hope never.

IOC is tested and confirmed. If the quad is so far away that I can't see its orientation I can activate course lock and then pull the quad back toward me. No need for RTH.

No flyaway as yet. But I practiced and memorized the switch position sequences needed to regain stick control after the quad enters RTH or automatic failsafe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Green

Thinking about going with a Naza-M V2 but was wondering if people are still having fly aways with this? I've read about a lot of fly aways with the original Naza, has that been resolved?

Thanks in advance!
This distributor, http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/naza-m-v2-with-v2-gps, has this to say about using DJI NAZA M V2 ... "Excludes / Requires your attention
GPS function - Please dont assume GPS is magic beans - make it your business to understand GPS fully and monitor the number of GPS Sats in view at any one time and never operate where you are completely reliant on GPS - thats just not professional or based on fact - you must be able to fly in FULL manual mode and return to land yourself for legal reasons - in an emergency - disable all advance modes and fly in manual mode (gyros only).
KNOWN ISSUES by Team MultiWiiCopter.com - > for consideration prior to purchase of any NAZA * - this autopilot has limits - Pilots must respect and understand their aircrafts limits

• NAZA is a great hobby autopilot for Quads but it runs on SENSORS - if your thinking toy fool proof - you will crash it/flip NAZA one day - it has LIMITS ->crashes or what you think are "random flipping of NAZA" or control outages are caused by "over confidence" and familiarity leading to assumptions and pushing the robotic modes out of their envelope - ignoring inflight led warnings - combined with large stick inputs in Robot modes (ATTI or GPS) often accentuated by windy or gusty days and VIBRATION -> 1) the user not checking dynamic vibration levels - its 99.9% chance a random "FLIP" several minutes after takeOFF is your own fault or ; 2) Corrosion and oxidisation of pins (poor maintenance of push-connectors by user) over time - Realistically you must use corrosion protection sprays on ALL PINS and ALL CONNECTORS
  • For NAZA_M YOU MUST BALANCE ALL ENGINES & PROPS FULLY - NAZA does not tolerate vibration - We recommend soft flexible props such as 9050 triples or dji 1038 ONLY - rigid carbon props are the natural enemy "FLIP" recipe for a naza when flown in ATTI modes with large constant stick inputs - again this happens after a while 2-4 mins after T/O or on FPV when pilots "ignore" LED "Sparking warnings" or simply cannot see them (on goggles) to centre their sticks. Operation of NAZA on Goggles is NOT RECOMMENDED unless you have an assitant pilot to report LED warnings to you.
  • Place NAZA as close as possible to the C of G and use full gel mounting tech to isolate all vibrations. Use soft flexible props for FPV - not hard rigid props."

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
LOL, interesting that Team Black Sheep use Naza controllers in all their quads and use CF props for all their flying and have no problems, I have had issues with things that multiwii have said in the past and don't trust them at all, I think they may be more interested in selling something other than Naza.

Pete

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!

Thanks in advance!

There are a huge number of Naza's out there I suspect that what you are seeing is a few problems reported many times and then reported again and again. Ask the Multiwii crowd how many problems they have, the number is probably higher per unit than the Naza and neither is particularly high it is just that if you get on he forums and have a read it does come up from time to time, what doesn't come up is the many, many uneventful flights and just how easy they are to set up.

I have been using Naza's for more than a year and have 2x V1's and a Lite and have never had a fly away.

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
While not a "fly-away", a friend with a Droidworx Skyjib 6 Ti (supplied with a Naza v1 from DW) has an incredibly smooth and well balanced machine. NO vibes - he has balanced the motors, props and hubs. The balancing of the hubs showed it's value where the Canon 7D video went from great to stunning!

Now for the interesting bit. He has test-flown this for over 10 hours in the last 6 weeks, mostly hovering and getting comfortable and it flies really well. Twice in absolutely perfect weather (no wind, clear skies) in Atti (non-gps) mode when hovering perfectly still for over a minute the machine suddenly oscillated/porpoised out of control and crashed / was landed heavily without major damage.

When ones machine needs to stay on the spot while the camera operator does the work, how can this be trusted??? For the record, Droidworx recommend this setup...

My geek background wonders if the Naza has a basic buffer overflow/reset issue if there is not enough going on / enough movement to remind it that it is flying. Comments from any experienced / high hour Naza pilots??? This isn't a high-speed fun toy but has been purchased, assembled and flown as a serious CAA-approved machine.
After seeing this happen twice, the HoverflyPro + gimbal controller has just arrived to replace the Naza...

Pete

Aerovideo

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I agree on forums you usually hear all the bad and not much of the good so it tends to blow things out of perspective.

As a long time Hoverfly user I have to admit I'm envious of the altitude hold and position hold I've seen in person with the NAZA. I fly almost exclusively in manual mode as that's what Hoverfly excels at, but it sure would be nice to have the PH and AH that I've seen on a buddies Naza setup.

With the advent of brushless gimbals it would be nice to be able to switch to gimbal view and be confident your quad is where it's supposed to be :)

If switching to manual mode cures the flyaways then I'm not too concerned as that's how I always fly. I may have to give one of these a try!

Thanks again for the info everyone!

Mori55

While not a "fly-away", a friend with a Droidworx Skyjib 6 Ti (supplied with a Naza v1 from DW) has an incredibly smooth and well balanced machine. NO vibes - he has balanced the motors, props and hubs. The balancing of the hubs showed it's value where the Canon 7D video went from great to stunning!

Now for the interesting bit. He has test-flown this for over 10 hours in the last 6 weeks, mostly hovering and getting comfortable and it flies really well. Twice in absolutely perfect weather (no wind, clear skies) in Atti (non-gps) mode when hovering perfectly still for over a minute the machine suddenly oscillated/porpoised out of control and crashed / was landed heavily without major damage.

When ones machine needs to stay on the spot while the camera operator does the work, how can this be trusted??? For the record, Droidworx recommend this setup...

My geek background wonders if the Naza has a basic buffer overflow/reset issue if there is not enough going on / enough movement to remind it that it is flying. Comments from any experienced / high hour Naza pilots??? This isn't a high-speed fun toy but has been purchased, assembled and flown as a serious CAA-approved machine.
After seeing this happen twice, the HoverflyPro + gimbal controller has just arrived to replace the Naza...

Pete
I had the same exact thing happen to me once, never happened again. I been flying Rc along time 30 yrs and I know stuff happens with this hobby. I'm just amazed how reliable this stuff really is.
I don't know what happened , could even had been a radio glitch, who knows? Wish they had a black Box in that naza. I see that Xair has this feature , but I'm sticking with my naza.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Could have been caused by a number of things, I doubt it was a "fly away", looks like a failure of something or radio interference.

Pete