naza failsafe )..any help

alx

Hi
i m little bit confused any help would be helpfull so..
i have a f500/naza/gps & a Spektrum dx7s with Ar8000 rec.
i setup the 3 position switch Man.Att.Gps in the assistant software of naza and bind the failsafe with my spektrum dx7s when i turn it of .
The throtlle in the assistant software stays down no matter what. is that ok?
does naza has the abillity to come home or land ??
i also set the gear/mix (2 position sw) in governor settings of dx7s switch to Intell.Orien (home lock & Off).
do i miss something?

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
You need to bind the tx to the rx using the preset failsafe bind method. You should have throttle set higher than 10% and lower than 51% when binding. This will ensure it either land safely or does not fly away if tx is lost. Throttle in assistant should go to preset amount (40 or 50% for me) if bound correctly when you switch off your tx. You also want to have 3 position switch set to failsafe flight mode when binding if you want your copter to return home.

Search for Spektrum preset failsafe or look in the manual for the bind method.

Bowley

You need to assign another channel and 2 position switch for failsafe and mix it with the channel for flight mode so you can enter failsafe mode in any flight mode. then you need to set your Rx failsafe with the throttle just below 50% and failsafe switch switched to failsafe. you then check 'return to home and land' in the enhanced failsafe option f thats what you want it to do.
Then you can enter RTH failsafe at the flick of a switch or if your Tx fails.
If you dont want to mix channels, you can set flight modes to GPS, ATTI and Failsafe, if you dont want to use manual mode, its a simpler way.

chipwich

Question on the latest firmware, when testing to ensure that you have properly setup preset failsafe, in the DJI NAZA Assistant, if I am in Atti mode, and turn off my TX, should the system automatically switch to GPS Atti, or Failsafe? When I throw my Failsafe switch it shows Failsafe in NAZA Assistant, but when I turn off my TX, it jumps to GPS Atti. This sort of makes sense, because it would need to navigate, but I just want to make sure before testing it in the field. NAZA M V1 w/GPS.

BTW, I've done this before with the old F/W, but been out of touch for a while with the wife having twins. 13 months later finally getting some flying time in.

Chalagi

This is the process that I used to set my fail safe on my DX7 works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL-Cool-T
Im trying to put the AR8000 into failsafe mode using the AR8000rx...I can manually put it in because I programmed a switch to do it...now I need to make it work when I turn off my DX7...HELP !!! Thank You.

Place your radio switches so they are or would be in failsafe mode and leaving throttle at 50%. Leave it off or now turn off your radio.

Next, insert your bind plug into the rx. Power on the rx/naza. After 2-3secs remove your bind plug from the rx.

Now, turn on your radio holding the bind switch and bind to the rx like your normally would but now with your radio "in" the failsafe position.

After it binds, power off the rx and place your radio switches back to "normal".

Power cycle your radio and power on your rx/naza.

Lastly, check and verify in the naza assistant that when you turn off your radio it enters failsafe before you go test fly!!!.

chipwich

Lastly, check and verify in the naza assistant that when you turn off your radio it enters failsafe before you go test fly!!!.

Thanks and have done that. If in Atti mode and you turn of your TX, does NAZA Assistant show Failsafe or GPS Atti in the status bar? Mine jumps from Atti to GPS Atti, so perhaps I've not been successful. Can anyone please confirm? Thanks.

Thanks and have done that. If in Atti mode and you turn of your TX, does NAZA Assistant show Failsafe or GPS Atti in the status bar? Mine jumps from Atti to GPS Atti, so perhaps I've not been successful. Can anyone please confirm? Thanks.
Sorry that I won't be able to speak to your transmitter/receiver pair specifically, but I can tell you that on my Futaba setup, when I power off the transmitter, the "Failsafe" region turns blue and reads "Failsafe" in the mode area. In my case it's because with the Futaba I can program loss of comm settings, and I set the Flight Mode channel output to match the Failsafe region in the Assistant Software. I don't know if that applies to you or not.

W5HYN

@chipwich

Question on the latest firmware, when testing to ensure that you have properly setup preset failsafe, in the DJI NAZA Assistant, if I am in Atti mode, and turn off my TX, should the system automatically switch to GPS Atti, or Failsafe? When I throw my Failsafe switch it shows Failsafe in NAZA Assistant, but when I turn off my TX, it jumps to GPS Atti. This sort of makes sense, because it would need to navigate, but I just want to make sure before testing it in the field. NAZA M V1 w/GPS.

BTW, I've done this before with the old F/W, but been out of touch for a while with the wife having twins. 13 months later finally getting some flying time in.

NO, that is not correct. When you turn off your transmitter the assistant should show the FAILSAFE zone lighted up. You didn't list your RC system but the failsafe setup for your receiver needs attention.

chipwich

OK guys. Thanks to both of you for replies. Yes, I have been meaning to migrate to Futaba with S-Bus, et al, but other than Failsafe issue (and no backlight), the DX7s is working great. It appears that I haven't cracked the Spektrum preset Failsafe code yet. I have an idea that I was above 50% during the setup. Will try again tonight.

System is Spektrum DX7s / AR8000, NAZA M V1 latest F/W.

W5HYN

@chipwich

OK guys. Thanks to both of you for replies. Yes, I have been meaning to migrate to Futaba with S-Bus, et al, but other than Failsafe issue (and no backlight), the DX7s is working great. It appears that I haven't cracked the Spektrum preset Failsafe code yet. I have an idea that I was above 50% during the setup. Will try again tonight.

System is Spektrum DX7s / AR8000, NAZA M V1 latest F/W.

Wow, failsafe setup on Spektrum DX7s / AR8000 is very complex. :upset: But is is apparently possible. Here is a link: http://www.xflysystems.com/blogs/ne...ur-spektrum-dx7s-ar8000-failsafe-for-dji-naza

Note that it is very important to set throttle failsafe close to center; and if set below 10% the multi will fall from the sky.

Last edited by a moderator:

v9climber

Step by step... inch by inch :nevreness:

FAILSAFE Setup

The whole failsafe thing can be a little frustrating to setup correctly on a Naza. This isnt the naza's fault, more the transmitter & receiver.

Once you've done it the first time its actually easy to do.

Some background info

1. The actual failsafe functionality resides in the receiver.
It has the ability to fall back on a specific channel setting when TX signal is lost.

2. You cannot setup a TX signal loss failsafe without having a receiver that supports failsafe.

3. Because the failsafe on the Naza works on the same channel as the control mode switch.
We cannot set the failsafe to activate with a standard defined switch position.
It needs to be set on the same channel as the control mode switch but in between one of the modes. (GPS-ATTI-MAN)
The problem is the TX only had a 3 position switch. So how do you set it in between?

Step by step guide

SET FAILSAFE FOR ATTI MODE (this is just a test of the failsafe to make sure it works, we will change a few things after we happy that it actually works)

1. TURN EVERYTHING OFF

2. Turn on the DX7/8s and make sure you have the correct model selected. And remember what switch positions define each mode. Eg. DOWN=GPS MID=ATTI UP=MAN

3. Turn off the DX7/8s

4. Insert the bind plug into the correct port on the receiver (make 100% sure it says BIND on the port)

5. Plug in the copter/receiver. The receiver LED will start flashing. This indicates its looking for something to bind to.

6. NOW REMOVE THE BIND PLUG BEFORE TURNING ON THE TRANSMITTER! LED will continue to flash.

6. Make sure your transmitter is OFF.

7. Set your control mode switch on your transmitter to ATTI mode [middle sw pos] (the transmitter must be off! This is the most important step!!!

8. Now hold down the trainer button while powering on the transmitter. Hold the button until it says its binding and displays DSMX.
Then release the trainer/bind button.

9. Once binding is complete the transmitter will reboot and go into normal flight mode. The LED on the receiver will now be solid.

10. Preset Failsafe binding is now complete.

TEST TO SEE IF FAILSAFE IS WORKING

1. Turn the transmitter on (if its off)

2. Plug in the copter and wait for it to initialize

3. Plug the copter into the PC and start the assistant.

4. Make sure the copter has successfully connected to the PC.

5. Go to TX Cali tab and make sure when you flick the control mode switch, it moves from GPS to ATTI to MAN.

6. Select GPS mode (GPS block is BLUE)

7. Now switch off your transmitter.

8. If you've done everything correctly it should change from GPS to ATTI mode.

9. If it doesnt, you've done something wrong or missed something. Start from the beginning

10. If it does, continue with below instructions.

SET FAILSAFE FOR TX SIGNAL LOSS

1. Turn everything on and get everything connected to the PC.

2. Make sure the control mode switch is working.

3. On the transmitter, go into the fuction list (click the wheel down)

4. Go to Servo Setup.

5. Flick your control mode switch and check to see which channel its on. GER, PIT, AX2 or AX3.

6. While watching the control mode switch postition on the naza assistant,
Remember the two percentages of travel for the CMS channel (we will be changing it back to this when we are done)
Now change the travel on the control mode channel servo travel until the tab moves away from either GPS or MAN. Move it to failsafe.

7. Once failsafe lights up blue, exit the assistant, unplug the copter from the pc, turn the copter off and then the transmitter.

8. DO NOT CHANGE ANY SWITCH POSITIONS AFTER STEP 6!

9. Make sure everything is turned off.

10. Insert the bind plug into the bind port on the receiver

11. Plug in the copter/receiver. The receiver LED will start flashing. This indicates its looking for something to bind to.

12. NOW REMOVE THE BIND PLUG BEFORE TURNING ON THE TRANSMITTER! LED will continue to flash.

12.a *** Important*** Set Throttle to 50%

13. Make sure your transmitter is OFF.

14. Now hold down the trainer button while powering on the transmitter. Hold the button until it says its binding and displays DSMX.
Then release the trainer/bind button.

15. Once binding is complete the transmitter will reboot and go into normal flight mode. The LED on the receiver will now be solid.

16. Preset Failsafe binding is now complete.

FIX THE SERVO TRAVEL & TEST THE FAILSAFE

1. On the transmitter, go to Function List, then Servo setup then change the channel travel percentages back to what they were before.

2. Plug everything into the PC and check to see if the channel performs correctly. Must be able to select GPS, ATTI and MAN.

3. While wathcing the channel position, turn off your transmitter. It should light up the failsafe on the Naza assistant bar.

4. If it doesnt, start with step 1 of SET FAILSAFE FOR TX SIGNAL LOSS.

5. If it does you are good to go. Congratulations!

Hope this helps all using the DX7/8s and AR8000!

chipwich

Thanks very much guys. That is a very comprehensive document and I very much appreciated someone taking the time to put it together. Should be good to go.

mamicho

Mexican pilot
Step by step guide

SET FAILSAFE FOR ATTI MODE (this is just a test of the failsafe to make sure it works, we will change a few things after we happy that it actually works)

1. TURN EVERYTHING OFF

2. Turn on the DX7/8s and make sure you have the correct model selected. And remember what switch positions define each mode. Eg. DOWN=GPS MID=ATTI UP=MAN

3. Turn off the DX7/8s

4. Insert the bind plug into the correct port on the receiver (make 100% sure it says BIND on the port)

5. Plug in the copter/receiver. The receiver LED will start flashing. This indicates its looking for something to bind to.

6. NOW REMOVE THE BIND PLUG BEFORE TURNING ON THE TRANSMITTER! LED will continue to flash.

7. Set your control mode switch on your transmitter to ATTI mode [middle sw pos] (the transmitter must be off! This is the most important step!!!

Here on step 7 I should add to move the switch programmed in the TX for failsafe to failsafe position and the throttle stick to 40%, then continue with the next step, with this you will assure that when turning off the TX, it will be in ATTI mode, failsafe mode and throttle 40%

mamicho

Mexican pilot
Does anybody have the same issue as I do? When turning off the TX, failsafe is ok and the copter start the way back home. At the last moment maybe 1 or 1.5 feet high it bounces 3 or 4 times and then it stops

W5HYN

Naza failsafe is easy

Step by step... inch by inch :nevreness:

FAILSAFE Setup

The whole failsafe thing can be a little frustrating to setup correctly on a Naza. This isnt the naza's fault, more the transmitter & receiver.

The frustration is totally the fault of the TX and RX. Below are the steps required to set up failsafe using Futaba TX with Frsky module and Frsky receiver:

1. Turn on TX and power up RX/Naza
2. Connect computer to Naza USB and start Assistant; activate TX MONITOR screen
3. Center all sticks
4. Temporarily adjust channel 7 sub-trim to make Failsafe turn blue on TX MONITOR screen
5. Press the F/S button on receiver
6. Return channel 7 sub-trim back to where it was
7. Turn off TX and verify that Failsafe turns blue on TX MONITOR screen
DONE :tennis:

v9climber

Step by step guide

1. TURN EVERYTHING OFF

3. Turn off the DX7/8s

Here on step 7 I should add to move the switch programmed in the TX for failsafe to failsafe position and the throttle stick to 40%, then continue with the next step, with this you will assure that when turning off the TX, it will be in ATTI mode, failsafe mode and throttle 40%

You can actually add it at either step, I choose the later step as its one less thing to remove from ensure you actually have the Rx fail safed.

v9climber

If my rig fail safes, and it RTH.. the second I can see its orientation I am flipping my TX back on and landing it myself. RTH in theory can land your MR, but it may not be perfect... better to land it yourself.

poseidon2

Hello all
Sorry for coming in late on this but I've just got into multi rotors and this series of posts has rescued my sanity re. Spektrum/Naza/AR8000, well nearly.
The final thing I'm not quite getting is I set failsafe to set throttle to 50% but when I check it in the software (when the Tx is switched off) it shoots up to about 60%-70%. Also some posters say set throttle to failsafe at 50% others 40%. Is the preset (40% upwards) just to keep the motors running so they don't go into shutdown before the Naza takes over and flies home?
Thanks in advance.

chipwich

poseidon2, I don't think what you are seeing is important, because the flight controller will attempt to manage the aircraft fix and not throttle position. If it is below 20 meters AGL, it will add throttle to climb to that altitude then return home. Maybe that is what you are seeing. Based on the throttle calibration set in DJI assistant, the NAZA attempts to maintain hover around 50%, so perhaps that is why it is chosen for a Failsafe position, but if memory serves it is also a function of how the Spektrum RX Failsafe operates (now flying Futaba and FrSky). The guide above from v9climber is a good one, IMO.