Motor configuration on a 550 using Naza m lite what's better?

bensid54

I have a DJI 550 flamewheel that I'm thinking about using a Naza Lite for a controller. Now first off everyone is going to tell me to get a V2 but I want to keep my cost down so that bit of advice is not what I'm looking for. There are two motor configurations for the hex and they are the x and + configuration, I have tried the x configuration (two motors at the front) and found it too unstable for my liking. What I want to know is the + configuration (single motor at the very front) more stable with the Naza light controller? Thanks for any input on this question.

My experience has been that there is no difference in stability between x and + configuration.

What sort of instabilities are you running into?

bensid54

It has trouble with it's attitude hold when still or moving in flight. I am using the gimbal function too so I wonder if that makes a difference.

bensid54

One thing I didn't mention I was using 10 inch props and three cell batteries do you think that could add to the problem. I want to stay with three cell due to running a Fat Shark on my machines.

Assuming that you're using the stock 2212 KV920 motors, 3S batteries should work fine with 10" props.

May I ask how much your hex weighs, in total? Also...what gains do you have set?

bensid54

I jacked the gains up over 200 with pitch and roll, 170 with pitch and roll in attitude 160 for yaw. The motors are stock and the weight of the craft is 800grams below it's maximum allowable.

rilot

When you say you are having problems with your attitude hold. Can you be more specific? Is it drifting?

bensid54

It drifts especially right after lift off and trying to hold position before moving the hex from the area of take off. Altitude is not a problem the yaw will not hold steady at times but not too much of a problem. It is always correcting it's roll and pitch attitude slightly in flight as I can see through the Fat Shark goggles unlike my quad with a Naza Lite.

Tahoe Ed

Have you checked your static balance? Left/Right and Forward/Back? That may be your issue. Have you also check your IMU calibration? I would do the advanced calibration as well. Make sure that when you take off that your copter is on level ground.

rilot

It drifts especially right after lift off and trying to hold position before moving the hex from the area of take off. Altitude is not a problem the yaw will not hold steady at times but not too much of a problem. It is always correcting it's roll and pitch attitude slightly in flight as I can see through the Fat Shark goggles unlike my quad with a Naza Lite.

I had the exact same issue with my F550 and the only way I completely fixed it was by replacing the Lite with a M V2.
You can alleviate it by waiting around 2 minutes after starting your props before taking off. The drift seemed to only occur for the first couple of minutes after starting.

Nigel

I had this some time ago on a Naza V1 and was trying to remember what fixed it. Having seen the previous post it was when I loaded firmware V4. This forces you to wait 2 minutes while the sensors stabilize. I think rilot is right if you wait a couple of min after powering up before you take off it will probably be OK.

haha49

make sure the battrey can't move left and right it throws the weight off and causes a problem. Make sure it's strapped in from all sides so it cant move. Also the compass might need to be calibrated as it might be a little off. It can fly in a circle geting wider as it goes that means you have to setup the location of your gps by adjusting it + or - 1. I found after messuaring it I had to adjust it by 1 off what it actually was and it worked way better. If that's off it circles wider and wider.

bensid54

Thanks guys so what I'm hearing is that if you are patient with the Lite and go into advanced settings (I'll have to find out where those are) it will behave like the V2 only slower to calibrate. I have calibrated the compass and it does not toilet bowl, the batteries are attached with Velcro and have a Velcro strap holding them down. I have centred all weight the bet I can but have not set it on the edge of pin to check aircraft balance. The blades are all balanced carefully and are undamaged. So from what I'm hearing the Naza lite should work fine if one takes more care on setup and calibration. I'll order another one so I can have one on the quad and one on the hex.

rilot

It doesn't fly as well as the V2 no matter what you do. Believe me.
The 2 minute wait after powering it on massively helps with the drift to the right though.