Let's hear form the experts on long distance transmitter and video equipment.

mangoats

Hello everyone,

I would love to hear from the great people on the forum about long distance equipment. Money is not a concern at this point, just need to know what's out there.

One system needs to be able to broadcast transmitter signal and the other system broadcast live video signal. They both need to be reliable at 5 miles.

I have looked at the UZUHF products for transmitter range improvements. Lets hear you comments on that for 5 miles.

I have not really looked into video stuff. This I would love to hear back on. Also where this is going to be used, FCC rules don't really apply. From my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, 1000w and lower I don't have to have a ham license for testing here in the USA. The equipment is going somewhere else.

Thanks,
Chris

I haven't dug into the long range stuff a lot, but I do know that there are a lot of factors that can effect range, so most companies in this hobby might be wary of publishing distances. Kloner is into the long range stuff I believe - he'd be a good resource.

Tomstoy2

Distance is all about the antenna's. For uhf, the #433 is a good choice. For more distance they make a double yagi.
Video antenna choice for distance requires directional antenna which will need to be 'aimed' a its target.

Here's a simple equation; "distance = $$$"

kloner

Aerial DP
thanks Ben.... I run ezuhf both professionaly and for pleasure.... Other offerings are dragonlink, open lrs & Thomas Sherrer. I am into Ritewing zephyrs, they measure from 60" to 82" across and run 40-60mph for 30-40 minutes so they can get ya out there. in particular i like flying low so i'll skim across the earth as low as i can as far away as possible flirting with the dirt. Keeping in mind i drive hours to get to a spot to do it safely and with minimal human interaction except border checkpoints..... I love punching it and flying through the things.....

anyways, back to the subject, this is exuhf on a zephyr, this is using eagle tree osd pro. the numbers at the bottom in distance is in feet, rsi is the radios strength indicator between ezuhf in my hand and the one on the craft, the right bar is altitude, left is speed.....

on a multi rotor i use them on everything from discos to reds. this is another rssi indicator on a multi....
this one is a little different, the rssi marked text is the noise levels, that hits 100 before the 100% part on the right starts to drop, that goes down to 1 till 0 means shes not talkin no mo....

disco pro

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojave

Hello everyone,

I would love to hear from the great people on the forum about long distance equipment. Money is not a concern at this point, just need to know what's out there.

One system needs to be able to broadcast transmitter signal and the other system broadcast live video signal. They both need to be reliable at 5 miles.

I have looked at the UZUHF products for transmitter range improvements. Lets hear you comments on that for 5 miles.

I have not really looked into video stuff. This I would love to hear back on. Also where this is going to be used, FCC rules don't really apply. From my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, 1000w and lower I don't have to have a ham license for testing here in the USA. The equipment is going somewhere else.

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks for opening this up Chris - I was a lot less than a mile out and I lost communication with my multirotor as it was flying toward the mountains in the video. It went into failsafe mode and returned to its starting point.

http://vimeo.com/89472979

Can I can use a UHF sending and receiving to receive the sensor information that my 7008 receiver sends to my Futaba T14SG radio?

kloner

Aerial DP
i don't think so, that's when we switch over from radio telemetry to osd info....

these things go a long ways, they also output rssi that is THE most important number to know right after the main voltage for FPV

yea failsafe is lame, once you go to ezuhf radio dropouts are a thing of the past, but it takes a lot of perfecting the rig to make it work absolutely perfect. you want to bail every connector that's not neccesary, trim all the wires, shorten all the esc wires, you don't want anything wrapped up and zip tied to make shorter, a good fpv build takes me a long time to build out perfectly..... it's way more than bolting things together and programing stuff.....

Also, the ezuhf tx comes with the biggest POS antenna, you will need a diamond 70cm band, they always have them at the same shops that have the unit..... the diversity rx is wall i use in multis, thats why i have two rssi numbers on those osds, it shows both, then the one it's using it shows the dropped data packets and the signal strength