Is your dealer a Hobby Shop or Professional Partner?

photobobga

Inquiring minds what to know. I'm having a struggle with my local dealer and would like a second opinion form those that are in this as a commercial application. I have been very local to the dealer in Atlanta and have purchased a large majority of products from them. Mail order sites can offer the obvious benefits, but as a commercial photographer I have always tried to support those that can support me. My issue is simple.... when I purchase items from this 'hobby shop' and have had warranty issues they will give me the web site of the manufacture and wish me well. I've had a new Futaba radio fail and now a very well known, and expensive Lipo battery fail. The dealer has stated that the manufacture warrants these items and I should contact them. I've also purchase a new set of motors for my multirotor aircraft that this dealer private labels and promised that they are the same as all the others. Within two weeks all six motors failed, they did refund the purchase.

What does your dealer offer when you are dependent on this technology to produce an income and something fails that you have purchased from them and then grounds your service? Do they exchange, offer to ship your item off for service, or tell you to 'go pound sand'?

This local hobby shop's staff has offered great advice in the past. They also state that 80% of their business comes from professional clients.

Thank you in advance for your reply,
Bob

Langdale

In the UK, the contract you have is with the "hobby shop". This is who you bought the item off, therefore they are responsible. I don't know how things are in the USA but if you bought a Ford car from a Ford dealer, you wouldn't go to Ford for any faults, you'd take it back to the dealer to sort out.

Sounds like your "hobby shop" are quite good and helpful when taking your money but are s**t at taking responsibility.

Peter

Most local brick and mortar shops cant afford to eat the cost of returns so they send you to the manufacturers. Its also a "CYA" policy for all the kids that break thier gear by screwing around and running into stuff and thwn having mommy bring it in saying "why did the control arm on my sons day old traxxas buggy break!?". And in my opinion you can't expect preferential treatment from a hobby shop just because you make your money off of it. It is by its own name and definition a HOBBY shop, not a PRO shop.

kloner

Aerial DP
Your way better off dealing directly with the manufacturers website, ie the expensive battery guys site. when he has to eat it on a product, he can cause he got full retail. when you buy it from a middleman (hobby shop) you have very little attention for the micro margins they both took to make money. if that's not an option your best off choosing who the manufacturer recomends like a dji list of dealers, etc. I've been buying this crap for 25 years, at first we had no choice, the hobby shop was a collective of parts you chose from. since the internet theres no reason for those shops to even exist past selling entry level toys.

Langdale

Most local brick and mortar shops cant afford to eat the cost of returns so they send you to the manufacturers.
Yeah, because they can't be a***d with the hassle, they pass it on to you.

Its also a "CYA" policy for all the kids that break thier gear by screwing around and running into stuff and thwn having mommy bring it in saying "why did the control arm on my sons day old traxxas buggy break!?". And in my opinion you can't expect preferential treatment from a hobby shop just because you make your money off of it. It is by its own name and definition a HOBBY shop, not a PRO shop.

If the defect is due to misuse, then fair enough, but if it's something that fails due to bad manufacture etc., then they (perhaps we shouldn't use the word "hobby shop" but DEALER), then the Dealer should rectify it.

What sort of message does it send to customers.....Thanks a bunch from buying from us, oh, by the way if anything goes wrong, don't come back !!!!

(If you detect a rant here, it's because we are pushed around too much and it's time the DEALERS realised it)

Last edited by a moderator:

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
My experience is that there are good & bad in any business.
There are good and bad brick & mortar shops...... just as there are good & bad internet shops.
Pay attention to the postings on the Forums. Bad shops will always get bad posts.
Good shops will get postings from pleased customers.
Many start good & go bad. Learn about who you are dealing with whether it is Brick & Mortar or a Internet Business & look for current reviews.
ALWAYS deal with someone who has a PHONE!!!!
There is nothing worse than having no way to reach & SPEAK with a PERSON and explain a problem or ask a question!
That's MHO.
Andrew

photobobga

FYI, the dealer I'm referring to is listed as an authorized DJI dealer on DJI's site. They have said several times that they are the largest DJI dealer in the US (selling 20+ fully built systems a week...) and that 80% of his business comes from professional customers. Hobby Shop is part of their name. As stated in my original post, I've always tried to support my local vendors as they have supported me. Having a good relationship with my suppliers has always been a plus. This may change. I've started buying directly from the manufactures and or vendors that are professionally geared to the professional client. As this industry develops/grows I'm going to guess that the suppliers/dealers will adapt to our needs.

Thank you for your replies.