Is it really a good idea to mount the FPV camera on a stabilized gimbal?

jackmulti

I just finished my new setup which I haven't flown yet. I wanted to be able to tilt the FPV camera an look at the ground from above, so I mounted it on the stabilized gimbal.

But thinking it over it seems this could be really dangerous as the gimbal would compensate for the attitude or my quad and I wouldn't know if it was pitching up, down or sideways. It would deceivingly show that the quad is level when it could be diving to the ground!

Does anyone have experience with this? am I overreacting?

Thanks.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I just finished my new setup which I haven't flown yet. I wanted to be able to tilt the FPV camera an look at the ground from above, so I mounted it on the stabilized gimbal.

But thinking it over it seems this could be really dangerous as the gimbal would compensate for the attitude or my quad and I wouldn't know if it was pitching up, down or sideways. It would deceivingly show that the quad is level when it could be diving to the ground!

Does anyone have experience with this? am I overreacting?

Thanks.

On my MK FPV quad I have a GoPro on a Hisight II two axis mount and I use the live video out for the FPV video. What I did was disable the roll compensation on the flight controller and left the tilt compensation, that way I can use a TX slider to go from looking slightly upwards, useful for trying to gauge just how close the props may be to something, to looking straight down, good for making sure where I'm about to land is a suitable spot.

That said, the landing gear and ends of the front arms are in the field of view so I have a pretty good idea of what the tilt angle of the multi is by the view. Since the gimbal can't move on the roll axis the horizon tilts as the quad tilts so it's pretty easy to figure out which direction it is headed in on the roll axis. I have tried flying with a fully stabilized camera mount and as long as you have something like an MK system that autolevels and has altitude and position hold it's fairly safe although the view may not even be close to reflecting the actual motion of the quad. I woundn't make a habit of flying that way, just wanted to try it and see what it was like, also wouldn't have the tilt axis stabilized unless I had a good view of enough of the frame to be able to judge how far forward/backward it's tilted, you could wind up riding it all the way to ground and not know it with no reference point of the frame to horizon.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm gonna do what he said

on mine, when i tilt forward to go places all i see is the ground, the upper corners show fisheye of the sky,,,,,, sucks. Roll doesn't seem like something i want

jackmulti

I woundn't make a habit of flying that way, just wanted to try it and see what it was like, also wouldn't have the tilt axis stabilized unless I had a good view of enough of the frame to be able to judge how far forward/backward it's tilted, you could wind up riding it all the way to ground and not know it with no reference point of the frame to horizon.

Ken

This is what I feared. I think it is back to building a better setup for me... Losing the tilt will suck though, as I only have one gimbal and I would rather that the videos were equalized on roll too.