If a Phantom can handle it.....

R6Media

So guys, I'm curious.

I just flew my 550 for her maiden flight after adding all this weight with the H3-3D gimbal. I threw an iOSDMarkII in there since I had it.
I kept her in simple in a hover just to see how my flight times would diminish from my previous flights with this craft unladen.
I typically fly Turnigy 5000 mAh 3S's on this ship. 20-30C Discharge rate and easily get 14-15 minutes of flight time.

Today's test I cut short at 9 minutes due to the fact that I found myself maintaining a hover at nearly 90% throttle. Not a good sign.
(I have voltage protection off btw)

So my question is: Is it the weight of the ship, is it the size of the props (10") or is it just a lame battery (20-30C) that cant handle the weight?
If the answer is YES, YES, and YES, then what needs to happen?

I'm not sure which props would create more lift the 8's or the 10's. I'd think the 10's but I don't know for sure.
I also don't know what the takeoff weight limits are for an F550. Anybody know.
Or do you think it the battery didn't have enough ummmph in it at 20-30C to climb after a certain amount of time? Before I brought it down my iOSD was reading 10.6 Volts.

Anyway - would just love your thoughts on prop size for better thrust to weight ratios and if I need higher C rating batteries (which of course will up the weight more)

For those of you who might suggest 4S with my 10" props might be better, I won't do it. I ran a 4S on it once and my motors were crazy hot after it so I'm not really willing to risk them again.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

9 minutes on a 5000 3S is about right. I was flying with 4000 on a 4S and got about the same flying times, 10x3.8 and 9443 props. Are you using the 10x3.8's? You could try the 9443 or 9450 props and see if they help you.

Treg

Captain Fudpucker
I would recommend using 4s and getting that hover throttle down to 50% where it belongs.

R6Media

Thanks Ed, yeah I have the 1038's on there now and it did feel very much like battery fatigue, I just wasn't expecting that based on my available voltage but sure enough I used 78% according to my charger.

The 9443 and 9450 props for Phantoms fit the 550 Motors? what makes them different?

Treg, the only time i tried 4S with my 1038's the motors were too hot to touch. What props would you recommend?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I would have to say 4S as well. Instantly longer flight times and a more efficient system. Not sure why your motors got hot last time. You need slightly smaller props if going 4S, ideally you want the motors spinning faster but generating the same lift as on 3S.

Tahoe Ed

Thanks Ed, yeah I have the 1038's on there now and it did feel very much like battery fatigue, I just wasn't expecting that based on my available voltage but sure enough I used 78% according to my charger.

The 9443 and 9450 props for Phantoms fit the 550 Motors? what makes them different?

Treg, the only time i tried 4S with my 1038's the motors were too hot to touch. What props would you recommend?

If this is an older F550 then they will not. If it is one equipped with the E300 motors then they will work. The 9450 provide greater lift for heavier craft and when flying at high altitudes.

photobobga

With a large amount of props available that will fit your aircraft including pitch, length and the construction it's easy to get overwhelmed. From my experience with the F550 the Graupner E-Prop 10x5 was one of the best options. Unfortunately they are hard to find. There is a nice selection of carbon fiber props in the 10x3,4,5 that share the same design profile as the Graupner. I used a 10x4.5 carbon fiber prop for all my aerial work. The fat corded props are not recommended.. IMHO. I few with 4s batteries in the 6000 mAmp range, MaxAmps to be specific.

Treg

Captain Fudpucker
If you go to 4s I would use 9x4.7 CF then it should run cooler, what ever you use you want it to hover at 45-55%

R6Media

If this is an older F550 then they will not. If it is one equipped with the E300 motors then they will work. The 9450 provide greater lift for heavier craft and when flying at high altitudes.

Ed,
My 550 motors are the 2212/920kv ones. I'm assuming these are the original older ones.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.