Hoverfly Hoverfly on Golf Channel

Photronix

Pilot
There is a short segment that will run tonight on Golf Central at 11pm EST. Then our shots from today can be seen on "On the Range" Wednesday.

Al

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Nice, and they even called it a hoverfly.

People will complain at anything.

"Wow. While it is an impressive piece of technology even in its current state, methinks the folks working on the Hover Fly Aerial Camera are going to have to do make some major tweaking to its design and performance, starting with the loud buzzing noise it emits. There is no way any golfer on the PGA Tour would be willing to put up with that kind of sound level during his swing. Can you imagine how a Tiger Woods would react to having that thing buzzing above his head while he’s planning, lining up and making a shot? Not well."

SamaraMedia

Al,

Good luck with this venture. As a golfer (hacker) I know I would not want one these fling anywhere near me. As a photojournalist that has covered many PGA Tour events over 20 years I can't believe that the pro's will let this fly during the heat of competition. Maybe on the practice tee or green where they are not in full concentration but on the course during play, I highly doubt it. I've had players give me the evil eye for taking a shot, a single click, when I was unaware of another pro nearby. I know, course awareness.

That said, I have flown my quad and hexa on a golf course but with no crowds around and only a foursome on the green or tee where I had plenty of space to bail if things went wrong. I have nowhere near as much experience or expertise as you or IrisAerial to feel comfortable flying with crowds around. I want to see this profession grow so that I, and many here of the multirotor forums, can begin to make some supplemental income but I'm also hesitant to what many "outsiders" would consider "another reason to ban drones" as safety takes a back seat to technology. I know you are extremely careful and skillful and wish you nothing but success so that those of us that aspire to reach the quality and precision you guys have will not be looked at as just some crazy fool with a buzzsaw camera.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but after reading so many forum members complain that some are flying with disregard of safety of the general population. I can remember a thread complaining of a video by Team BlackSheep taken in London around Big Ben and the surrounding area that, although it looked great and I would love to shoot something like that, it calls into question the safety and - get ready- "privacy" -of flying in those areas. Some have called for stricter enforcement of rules by the AMA (I'm not a member) of not flying over people or in congested areas. I have at some point flown over people, small groups, so I shouldn't throw stones, but always with an area where I can bail if needed.

In some ways this can be used in a very positive way as well. With pros like you guys leading the way and exposing the masses to the nature of our crafts maybe it can quell some of the fear many have but society today is so quick to react, both positively and negatively. Watching the CBS Good Morning show a few weeks back with Kilby as an ambassador I felt good that our members were well represented and I feel the same way here. Go get 'em and make us proud. I will be looking overhead this June 17-23 when I cover the Travelers Championship at the TPC Riverhighlands in Cromwell, CT. If you are fortunate to get this gig on a permanent basis I would love to spend some time picking your brain and do a positive story for our newspaper and sister TV station if you are interested.

Hell, maybe I'm just plain jealous, I would love to do work for the Golf Channel.

Good luck,

John

Photronix

Pilot
It will be used for features and B roll. No one but idiots on twitter are imagining that it would be used during competition.

As far as safety, I agree. Perspective is sometimes difficult to ascertain from a picture. We cleared areas and had people walking with the unit clearing a lane. Most of the day was spent getting B roll.

kloner

Aerial DP
shot a bunch of b footage at torrey for the farmers open with a hoverfly pro board and barts xy8,,,,, aired all through the event on cbs and golf channel. keep on keepin on, every succesful outting is another notch on the pole in the right direction

I've got an interview starting tomorrow with a writer from Mens Journal about fpv coming at me sponsored by Trappy with a full kit in hand...... This ought to get interesting. He's with me for a week, i'll see if can get a shout out for your products when we show him the hoverfly difference.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
That's great. My facebook page had that picture put on my wall like 100 times yesterday and I was like Hey I know what that rig is, but that's great it was actually you guys!
Very cool!

SamaraMedia

Al, I figured you guys took the utmost care in keeping a clear path for your rig. Sorry I missed the airing last night, do you have link for footage. Some day I hope to use your products, been saving up for a HFP and scouring the classifieds for a used one, currently using a OPCC for a UAP-1 hexa I'm building. Also have an OPCC3D on a HT-FPV and a DJI F550 with NAZA.

So will you be doing more work with the Golf Channel or be in Cromwell for the Travelers in June?

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I flew there cam and it walked off, never asked again. It was like this but a mile up the coast where it was alot more dramatic and golf coursey

Al, were you working with a guy named Luis?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
More Hoverfly golf course footage, rough cut for samples but it's all Hoverfly. Voice-over wasn't quite up to par but we went with what we had. Hoping to do the full 36 holes this spring. Heli was my XY8 with the Rev6 (currently flying Rev7) EOSc mount and minimal post stab work.

Tee to Green - all 18holes at the country club at castle pines. This was my first try at FPV filming a golf course

SamaraMedia

Freaking awesome work guys!!! The course must be pleased as hell. I was trying to figure out where you guys setup for the shot, whether you were driving along the cart path or something as you flew down the hole but I noticed a group of people off the the left side on hole 7, is that you?

Great work. What's your setup for this?

Thanks,

John

I did the whole shot FPV and we did try to setup in the middle of of each hole. FPV is the only way to get a golf course done tee to green

SamaraMedia

I figured it was FPV. I have my first set of Fatsharks on the way if the guy who sold them to me on RCG doesn't scam me, waiting just over a week now but I'm hopeful they get here soon. I have a small monitor I'm using now with my HT-FPV for fun flying but hope to incorporate the goggles into my UAP-1 hexacopter built to use with a mirrorless camera. Are using the GH2? You are a two person operation as well correct?

John

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I did the whole shot FPV and we did try to setup in the middle of of each hole. FPV is the only way to get a golf course done tee to green

nicely done. i don't know if I agree with that last part but it certainly helps.