hexacrafter hc-800

kloner

Aerial DP
We've been progressing along to the point were ready for a mid size brushless gimbal rig so we chose to check out the hexacrafter 800. This is it's journey to work..........

Got the kit Saturday so slowly went through the kit. if you never bought a heli kit back in the 80's through 90's they had them big plans with complete breakdowns of parts, bolts, etc,,,, this has that. It's an amazing piece with alot of thought and is super flexible on what and how it carries stuff. He's got all kinds of load rails and landing gear but now he's even stepping into brushless gimbals. I'm still trying to decide whether to use NAZA or an HFP board. NAZA is so easy to control altitude i'm leaning in that direction. This is gonna be chassing alot of surfers in it's life so absolute control of altitude is critical. It"ll also carry the av200 with dslr's from time to time

the parts i'm using are:
hexacrafter 800 airframe
hexacrafter landing gear with load rails
hexacrafter brushless gimbal
custom 3525 500kv motors
plush 60
gemfan 15" props
Lawmate 2.4 video
Pixim Seawolf fpv cam
EzUHF long range rc control
6s flight packs

The instructions re so easy for a guy like me to understand it just fell together in a few hours. Theres 2 ways to build it out, solid mounted arms or foldable, i went with the foldable method. Makes traveling with it alot easier. Just got the right motor mounts in so will be swapping those out today. It will let the motor sit down inside the mount instead of over it.
_DSC1456_795.jpg

the esc tray is the bottom of the sandwich. super clean setup..... i didn't get pictures but it got a solid copper buss that's good to 600 amps...... If it comes back apart i'll come back with pictures of that.... there dope

_DSC1464_795.jpg

6 arms, center plates and motor mounts..... the motors are massive, hope i didn't go too big...... I also added his side saddle battery mounts.

IMG_7330_795.jpg

and the money maker........ this sure is alot easier to deal with than a regular servo gimbal...... very innovative design, can't wait to try it all out

Hoping to get some more work done to it today.

heres that manual
http://www.hexacrafter.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=9>PDF

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

Hey Kloner, been looking at this kit myself. Looks awesome! Can't wait to see some vids from this. Good luck with her. Got to say though, seems you've been so busy lately that you aren't getting any fun fpv time in. Miss those vids, buddy!

kloner

Aerial DP
My wife is finishing up an 80 hour a week gig and taking some time off. Were gonna head down to the river for a week or two just to get some of that back,,,,,, stay tuned. Gonna get the brushless gimble doing 70 down them tracks and across the water

VINHEX

Man this looks wicked! I can't wait to see this baby fly!!! The 650 is awesome Keep the images coming Kloner..

kloner

Aerial DP
the gimbal is still a prototype, but the kits come from hexacrafter.com

Got the motor wires extended and motors installed now.... getting there. Had a small hiccup with my alexmos board, DOA

i.php

i.php

VINHEX

Looking good Kloner, Those motors are huge! But look like they sit nicely in those mounts.. What AUW do you think you'll be using on this?

kloner

Aerial DP
these motors wound up not to par so i installed a set of the aerial media pros 2814's, 12x6 xoar props and took her for a spin today. It's not totaly perfect, but pretty dang close. couple more tweeks of the gain and shes gonna be a great tool. this was the 16mm pancake without ios....

Tomstoy2

Damn, that it NICE!!! What gimbal you got on there? Is it
brushless? How do you compare the 800 kit to the 650? I'm really leaning on one of these.

VINHEX

Wicked Kloner looking good buddy.. Can you show and external video of her flying when you have time so want to see who she looks in the air..

kloner

Aerial DP
i like the 800 cause it's a little smoother and it is alot easier to slow down. Can see it a long ways too..... This is the hexacrafter brushless gimbal. there just about ironed out.....

IMG_7330_595.jpg

Giovanni59

Sweet, so you let the cat out of the bag on whose gimbal that is, now Andrew is going to be flooded for requests. Remember, Andrew I get the next one. What controller Kloner? Can't wait to finish my 800 build, waiting for everyone to get back from NAB so I can ask about the WKM IMU upgrade before I purchase. I also use the 16mm Sony lens on my Nex7 but I am looking into getting an adapter to put a Zeiss on. Those Sony lenses are not that sharp. Anyone had any experience with other lenses on the Nex series?

kloner

Aerial DP
_DSC1496_795.jpg

_DSC1506_795.jpg

i.php

i.php

this is how she wound up. took her out to work and she did great. relatively cheap package for the product it makes. The video reception was amazingly perfect. it never waivered

VINHEX

That is just awesome!! kloner happy days they just fly so well these baby's what a piece of kit..

I guess the battery above the brushless gimbal is the powers source for it?

Giovanni59

Don't you love it when things work as they are supposed to? I'm ordering the Gimbal but both Alex Mos and Martinez controllers are back ordered, which one are you using? Also, what brushless motors did you use?

VINHEX

Seen the dessert rats video kloner looking good buddy controller has arrived wahoo

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366219774.419358.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366219774.419358.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 182

kloner

Aerial DP
this things flying daily, holding up like a champ and fits in the front seat of my truck... diggin that, now i can stop and eat.

IMG_0600.JPG

now that i got the right props and gains, i'm digging theese AMP 2814's.... there all broke in, ton of power, smooth as heck.

Tomstoy2

Glad to hear that, buddy! Damn, I like that bird! Got a funny little story to tell about leaving my Hexa in the truck. My buddy and I took off to Southpark last year, ( yes, there really is such a place in Colorado ). After flying, we decided to do I little fishing. Got about a mile away from the truck, I looked over to see a car park close to it, and it looked to me like a couple guys got out of the truck and wandered over to our truck, where my Hexa was locked up inside. Now, to me, it looked like they were trying to break in and steal it. So, I start shouting expletives, and try running back to stop the potential theft. Keep in mind I have an artificial knee, so running in a stream, hell, who am I kidding, any running, is verboden! Not to mention, I'm blind as a bat! Turned out it was a power pole support rail cantered 45 degrees I was focused on! You can imagine the adjectives my buddy used to describe my antics afterwards to our friends.

VINHEX

Kloner that just looks awesome! What a beast! and looks cool... Should have the HC-650 in the air again this weekend after the upgrades... Wahooooo...