Hero4 hd-3d questions

RobBurn

I've read and watched some video and see the hero4 fits and works with hd-3d using the usb connector. Okay I also read it's about 14 grams heavier. I've not read anything about how it really works with the gimbal as far as balance, am I to assume the weight gain from the 3+ to 4 is proportional? I also would like to put a lens protector on it and I see it done on the hero3 but I'm wondering on the 4 that weighs more if it would be just to much weight for the gimbal motors. I did see bhphoto advertise the zenmuse works with hero4 but I've not seen anything from DJI

I read the dbl processor speed and 4k/30 is the main gains. Would the dbl processor and I assume the sensor is better to achieve the 4k/30? that even the 1080p/60 would be better video? If you had to buy a new gopro today would you drop the $349 for the 3+ black or the $500 for the hero4 black?

I did a stupid move which I won't go into detail but I scratched my hero3+ black lens. Luckily I had the adh from best buy so I got all my dollars minus the prorated adh which after 5 months costs me $20 bucks... So I'm trying to decide on another 3 or go with the 4. I tell you what I learned if you have no insurance and it's not a defect your on your own gopro does not offer repairs for user error even if you want to pay for it, no repairs period or parts for sale to repair

Thanks for any feedback

Rob

I just got a hero 4 black and did some flights with it - it's definitely a little heavier - the h3-3d doesn't naturally balance when it's off. BUT so far in operation it seems to work fine... maybe a little more prone to occasional jittering in wind, but mostly pretty smooth. I tried balancing it with coins, but that seemed to make it go haywire for some reason, so for now I'm using it as is. I'll probably make another attempt at balancing soon - I don't want to risk burning out a motor.

I was using a hero 3 instead of 3+ before this, so i can't make a quality judgement between the 3+ and 4... but I can say I love shooting go pro 4k and finishing in 1080p for A.) the increased sharpness when scaled down to 1080, B.) The ability to crop the frame greatly to remove props or just reposition shots, C.) Super easy to stabilize without losing resolution D.) Can fix barrel distortion without losing resolution

Here's what I've shot with it so far (a couple shots are stabilized to fix my crappy yawing, but for the MOST part it's raw off the gimbal):

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

The ability to produce a good result post processing seems to be the main advantage of the 4 ie good quality 1080.
I wonder if another way of achieving good 1080 is to maintain the locked performance of the h3-3d mounted GP3 and use an alternative lens.
I have switched from 170 deg to 150 deg lens. I have yet to test it but am hoping to be able to produce quality 1080 on 50p medium FOV with minimal post processing in terms of fisheye correction and post stab. I have never been happy with the results of the stock gopro 3 after processing to overcome the inherent gopro look. Anything shoot with the camera pointing anywhere but more or less straight horizontal is distorted beyond use. Narrow FOV setting does not help much either because the image quality is abysmal with only half the sensor being used and i find even the h3-3d can produce jittery results in Narrow mode requiring post stab and further degradation.

RobBurn

The ability to produce a good result post processing seems to be the main advantage of the 4 ie good quality 1080.
I wonder if another way of achieving good 1080 is to maintain the locked performance of the h3-3d mounted GP3 and use an alternative lens.
I have switched from 170 deg to 150 deg lens. I have yet to test it but am hoping to be able to produce quality 1080 on 50p medium FOV with minimal post processing in terms of fisheye correction and post stab. I have never been happy with the results of the stock gopro 3 after processing to overcome the inherent gopro look. Anything shoot with the camera pointing anywhere but more or less straight horizontal is distorted beyond use. Narrow FOV setting does not help much either because the image quality is abysmal with only half the sensor being used and i find even the h3-3d can produce jittery results in Narrow mode requiring post stab and further degradation.

Yes i'm thinking like you. I'm assuming that the hero4 black has better sensors and for what i do the 1080P/60 or down to 30 was fine for my purpose so i'd run the hero4 at the same settings to get a better video, if the sensor / other items such as focus is better I like that and it would be worth it to me. The idea that people are putting these 4's on the dji gimbal runs contrary to the gimbal spec's that talk about the 3+ and the fact it says do not add lens etc or any other weight. This makes me question the longevity.

Thanks

RobBurn

Thinking more about this I think dji hd-3d gimbals life is over as the hero3+ blacks life is over. It's still for sale but it's discontinued from gopro so when the quantities dry up it's adios. How can they sell a gimbal for hero 3? Well the hero3 silver and basic will still work but it's not the holy grail 3+ black it seems everyone wants

Ed can you chime in on a hd-3d for the hero4 or if dji will come out with the equal gimbal for X camera?

iscorama

I don't have nice experience with hero4 and h3-3d gimbal. I did put counterweights to balance the roll axis (which is most out of balance) but even with that if I fly more than 9m/s and it's windy I get this:

Today was perfect day for flying, no winds and H3-3D manage to keep balance all the time, but zenmuse will sure struggle to keep up with all extra weight...