Hero3 Serious Problem

baker55

Has anyone else had this problem? After shooting a video and then trying to view it shows the video camera icon but the video is black and will not open. In the last 7-8 videos 2 were like this. Is this salvageable?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I would check your card. I have heard many tales of the inability of cheap ebay cards handling the data stream slammed out by the GP3.

There is software out there to check cards for faulty sectors. I wouls suggest you look at the card in the first instance.

I would suggest a 64GB 45mbps card as a minimum.

Dave

ghaynes

First thing to check is the card. GP support will ask you that first off and if you aren't using one of the three cards the suggest, well lets say the interest goes down until you get it fixed. Sandisk or Kingston Class 10 cards. I don't remember what the 3rd one was. And yeah they are very brand specific.

soler

I had a similar problem when using a Class 6 card, the video would stop after 6-7 minutes. Switched to a class 10 card and no problems.

baker55

I have updated the firmware and I'm using a class 10. no problem with speed or video stopping. When you go into the menu and all the videos and pics come up there are 2 that are completely black.

kloner

Aerial DP
do you know where we can download the origional firmware for it? mine worked perfect, then i put the update on it and i've seen what you have once, it crashes in almost every mode, every time, with the killer sandisk chip......... it was cool, then not. The other day when we were working with these, it was an absolute nightmare.

baker55

I sent GoPro an email, hope to get to the bottom of this. The one video I lost was for a friends wedding!

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I have had plenty of problems with my Hero3 black edition. Most notably it stops recording whenever it feels like it; usually after a couple of seconds of starting to record, sometimes after 10-15 minutes. Too bad if your videos stops just as you pulled a gnarly backflip over a speeding bullet train while on fire - that moment is gone man. It also fried my first memory card (64G SanDisk C10) and sometimes just behaves erratically.

A friend of mine works for a company that sells GoPro products, that's where my camera came from. He says that he has about 10-15 on his desk at any one time waiting to go back for repair. GoPro head nerdlingers have also admitted to him that there are software issues that they are working on a patch for. GoPro also said to him (all hearsay) that the SanDisk cards are probably the worst brand to use/most notorious to fault. Which is just great as their recommended brand.

Holding out for new firmware, yes please.

baker55

Just got an email from gopro they suggested to make copy from sd card if it was choppy. or playback video with VLC not windows media, which I never use, or to make sure my computer meets minimum requirements. OK I said politely it is none of the above. It is very strange problem though. When I use the hdmi and look at videos and pics on my smart tv all but 2 show up fine on the menu. Example, when viewing on tv all the videos have a small video camera icon and pics show a small slr camera in the corner. The problem is with 2 video clips show up totally black instead of a still clip or image of the video. Does anyone know what I mean?

baker55

Attachments

• mex 13.jpg
    mex 13.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 231

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
They might have a point though, it could be codecs. Did you actually try VLC? That guy can play everything. Or update your codecs to the latest version. KLite mega codec pack is the way to go, or anything with H264.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Have you checked your card properly? It may say Sandisk but is it? Bought off ebay or anywhere cheap it almost certainly aint Sandisk. Somewhere on here there is a link to a piece of software that checks your card integrity.

I have heard so many stories of stalled cards but I have never had it happen, there again I dont buy cheap ebay cards. REMEMBER if it looks to good to be true it most certainly is.. bit l;ike all the spam getting posted on here for iPhones and Macbooks airs!

Dave

baker55

No Dave I bought it at Best Buy or Staples. I didn't want to cheap out on the card but I'm going to try another one. The problem is it only did this after 45-50 videos.

Unfaix

I've been getting crap files the last few times i went to fly.

Turn on the camera, press record, looks like its recording from the light, landed to see the recording light turned off. It usually creates a 30 meg file that's UN readable.

This happened three times while i was flying. Came back with nothing!

While on the ground, i press record to see and it recorded for a good 5 seconds then stops. So i just went through the menu and formated the memory card.

It has been good for the past six flights as well as ground recording.

Ymmv

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

baker55

Thanks Unfaix. I just reformatted my card and will do a test and send to gopro, but I have had some of the same issues as you are explaining. The last video I took on vacation stopped for no reason, battery was almost full power. ???

billmac

Hi Was thinking of getting a gopro 3 however reading this post has put me of a bit so should I get one or not or look for another option.​