hero2 modes

kloner

Aerial DP
I just have a fatshark 5.8 predator with the immersion tx,,,,,,,, using a gopro2 live feed. I've been screwing with the different modes like 1080 has wide, medium and narrow. 960-48 and wvga 60 and 120 fps. What do most people use for flying like i am. Am recording while flying and like good footage, but being a little rough she aint no camera ship so not sure how high of quality is necessary. Noticed one thing, the 1080 narrow is really zoomed in, seems hard to see anything when your down low. on the flip side, the wide 1080 is like looking in a mirror that says "objects may be closer than they appear"

Let me hear what your using

vip

720/ 60

shoot in the 720 /60 mode which can actually be slowed down wiht software quite nicely..

I am just building mine now but have been shooting video (TV commercials) for over 20 years.
The quality difference is not n oticeable to most and you gain stability as the go pro
has a CMOS sensor which can cause a jello effect ( kinda rolling)

I have seen much of this on You tube and others have educated me on how to do tis
as aerial footage is new even to a guy like me.
Good luck

kloner

Aerial DP
When i use the fatshark goggles, there 4:3....... using the hd modes makes the top 1/8th and bottom 1/8th black like letterbox. When i'm filming in 960, it fills those areas and makes a more up/down view kinda nice so far when i tilt forward to fly or come in low, can see the ground.

Is 960 the same as 720 if it was cropped? I'm realizing the wvga mode isn't much resolution

What is that makes it so glitchy on a gopro when you pan,,,, just too much information. almost seems like vibes make it skip frames or something.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
has anyone figured out what causes the GOPro2 to make those funky colors? It seems erratic but 1 in 10 videos have that solarized effect over them, sucks when your best shot of the day looks like someone applied an iphone image effect to it.

vip

The pan glitch is because it is a cmos sensor, which means it has to write a whole frame of video unlike a ccd sensor which does 2 fields per frame.
It is not a specific camera problem, even the canaon 5d and 7d have the same issue.
try not to pan to much and do it very slowly, For outdoors adding a polarizing filter helps tremedously with this on the gopro.

kloner

Aerial DP
thanks for the intel, does using lower resolution help the cmos glitch?

yuri, look like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

vip

I would say there is an actual problem with the camera. The sensor is not lining up correctly.
Contact go pro. I have a hero2 and seen many video shot with one. Just my best guess.

kloner

Aerial DP
that above was sent to gopro support, they had me update the firmware to 2 weeks ago release, it was doing it half the shoots. After firmware it didn't do it for 30 clips, then it did it three times in a row again, i gotta send mine in for a look, got the rma yesterday

one thing i notice is it happens mostly when i have the live feed plugged in, not sure if something is shorted or not cause i haven't used the fpv part much yet

vip

let me now how it turns out..
Also it is totally possible that the RF from the transmitter is being picked up

Maybe if it happens again test by moving it close then far away, you may only see the problem is the recorded video not in the FPV goggles...

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont have anything plugged into mine and it has happened 5 times so far. I wonder how many have this issue with the new units?

thanks

yuri

kloner

Aerial DP
mine was showing up in the live feed too.

Yuri, update the firmware, if you did and it's doing it, there gonna want it back. contact support, it's kinda fast