Group Build 2016, Let's get it on!

Okay, ended up getting a 250 build as far as flying. To this point I have not done anything in regards to the FPV stuff other than order my VTx and Camera. Once we're moving in that direction I would like some assistance in wiring things up.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I want to get it on! Hurry uuuuuuup
tomorrow night on "Drone" Radio Live we're going to do a systems review, the parts, the power, and how it all works. from there we'll map out the specific parts and then move on to the build

Alright... Where does everyone buy parts from? I'm tempted to purchase the discovery frame from Team Black Sheep themselves. Then everything else from?.?.

I have dealt with getfpv in the past. No complaints. I see some cool LED stuff at gothelirc (out of stock, but I hope it will get back in stock soon)

I am thinking about doing this build cheap. Then I can upgrade pieces as I gain the skill to fly.... So I'm not sure what motors/esc's I should go with that won't break the bank.... And where a good place to get them would be.

Hoki

Banggood aliexpress ebay amazon and gearbest

I got all my parts to build my 450 from aliexpress and its wayyy cheaper than anywhere else but u gonna have to wait about a month for delivery but i think its worth it. I got my 180 kit from amazon for 70 dollars and fpv setup from banggood

ProfEngr

www.youtube.com/user/multirotorforums/live

Tomorrow night at 9PM Eastern time, 0200 UTC

there's a big banner ad in the upper right corner of the screen, hasn't anybody noticed?? :(

Maybe people could possibly use the search option in the corner to look up "Drone Radio" and the answer would manifest? Not that any of us really mind explaining it. We were all uninformed at one stage or another here.

I will say, of the pages I've been on this AM, I haven't seen the banner ad yet either.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie56

been very quite on this thread lately, whats up??, Ive finally pick the frame i'll use, a reptile 500, tbs clone, it comes with a 700 line camera on a tilt servo. Ill team it up with some sunny sky 2814- 800 kv motors and use a 4s bat, ordered parts today but won't get them for a couple of weeks

Bartman

I've been working a lot lately, sorry. busy through this week then will have a couple of weeks to get it going.

If anyone has questions, feel free to post them.

A components list will definitely include for the basic copter;
frame
motors
esc's
propellers
flight control system (with or without GPS capabilities)
battery

You might also need;
extra wire
LED's
battery connector
"buck" converter
smaller connectors for accessories power from main PDB

For the FPV part of the build you'll need the following;
FPV camera
video transmitter
maybe a gimbal to stabilize your camera (if you want to do that)
maybe another "buck" converter if your components aren't electrically compatible out of the box

You may want to include an OSD (On Screen Display) system and we can discuss that but there are a lot of options, different ways to go about incorporating it, additional complexity in the wiring, etc. We'll show how to work it in but not for every specific system. We'll discuss the basics and how they're generally incorporated into the build. I think I'm going to try a new board that does power distribution and has a built in OSD. As the hobby evolves, manufacturers are trying different combinations of components that have always been separate. An OSD with PDB on the same board seems interesting in that it should alleviate some of the wiring mess that an OSD introduces.

I tried the OZE32 board but the wiring was a mess and I think the OSD was DOA so I won't be going there again.

I won't be discussing head tracking equipment as it isn't strictly necessary for a basic FPV rig.

Bartman

ok, so i mentioned above that you can get an OSD and the PDB in one board which can make the build a bit easier if you don't have an integrated power distribution system built into the frame (like with the DJI flamewheel frames and others). the integrated power distribution is more common but props to DJI for doing it first.

i've already bought the Hobbyking F550 clone frame for my build and I'll be doing it as an XY4 (four motors with the front and rear arms omitted) which has the PDB built in but I won't be using it. the two OSD/PDB boards I was referring to were the

PowerOSD PRO from QuadRevo
http://quadrevo.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

View attachment 27379

and the RedRotorRC-RROSD PRO from ReadyMadeRC
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_639&products_id=5096
View attachment 27380
it was pointed out to me that the RedRotorRC board has more features and has updateable firmware (because, you know, we love us a good firmware update!) PLUS........GET READY FOR IT.......IT LOOKS LIKE IT CAN BE CONFIGURED TO OUTPUT 5V OR 12V TO YOUR CAMERA WHILE ALSO OUTPUTTING FULL PACK POWER OR 12V TO THE VIDEO TRANSMITTER. This can come in really handy so I'm going to order one and give it a try.

It will only allow up to 100 amps of system power passing through it though so if your motors are high draw and the total max current of your combined motors exceeds 100 amps then you can't use this. I'm using the Tiger MT2216 motors that I had on my F450 so I should be fine.

Also, with an integrated OSD/PDB like this you can use Opto ESC's more easily as you don't really need the 5V power from the ESC's the way you would with other systems.

Posting to this thread has me excited again. I'll order this board and get ready to start building when I'm back home next week.

:)

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-26_11-53-51.png
    upload_2016-1-26_11-53-51.png
    277.4 KB · Views: 416
  • upload_2016-1-26_11-55-17.png
    upload_2016-1-26_11-55-17.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 521