GPS + GoPro Issue

jmc67

Hi all,

1st post here. So I got my Naza and GPS all setup on a F450 frame using a Spektrum AR600 rx and 7DX tx. All functions setup except course lock and failsafe (tx signal loss) since the rx does not support it. The next step was to install my GoPro Hero2 on the front plate of the F450. Without the GoPro on, GPS works perfect but once I turn on the GoPro, I lose partial GPS signal making position hold unreliable. I have the antenna mounted on the front left of the F450. Do you think if I move the antenna to the left back I will not have this issue? I tried to re-calibrate with the Gopro installed and on but still have the issue. Wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue.

View attachment 5036 View attachment 5035

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 321

hover

Hello, I have had my Dji GPS mounted directly next to the GoPro on the left arm and didnt have problems.
But now I moved it to the back and dont have problems either.
Do you have the wifi addon with the GoPro?

meme

same here, mounted next to the Gopro , no problems. What are the red Leds saying? do you even have full GPS Coverage?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I have no probs with mine either. With the wifi backpack on it doesn't hold altitude as well though. I know GPS is only accurate to 2.5m on the Naza so it's still within normal limits. I think the wifi causes some interference. My Gopro is underneath the F550.

Using Tapatalk, yeah?

jmc67

I only have the GoPro attached with no addons. I do have full gps coverage (yellow led - atti / green - gps) with the gopro off. With the gopro on, and full gps coverage, the leds fluctuates from 1 to 3 red, 1 yellow in atti mode and the same with gps mode except one led is green rather than yellow. I noticed that sometimes the green or yellow will blink but then quickly changes. Lock is unreliable with the gopro on. I may have to try and mount underneath the frame.

DaveM

I did read that someone else with the same problem cured his by using small Toroid with 5 wraps of the GPS cable going around it.

There is quite a lot of slack on the GPS cable, so worth a try

Dave

Are you using the WiFi back on the Gopro because there is nothing that is transmitting from your Gopro with out the WiFi
I mount my GoPro all over the place on my 450 Top,Bottom,gimbal in front GPS is on top just to the right of CG and Never had a problem.

jmc67

I will need to purchase the Toroid and will give that a try. No, I don't have the WiFi back for the camera. I did a little more testing. I noticed that although I don't get a steady flashing green led on GPS mode when the GoPro is on, it holds position but not locked on. I have the metal landing legs that were from my Walkera MX400 and will install this on the F450 frame with the GoPro underneath. This may work. I'll post an image once installed.

RCNut

As per the others, my GoPro and GPS are both mounted on the front of my F450 and there isnt any interference to the GPS reception Check what other wiring you have passing near the GoPro as that may pick up radiated interference and re-radiate it

jmc67

The GPS antenna runs along the left side of the frame. The only wires that are in front of the frame are from the esc's. See both images. The 1st one shows the front and the second left side and receiver.

View attachment 5040 View attachment 5041

Attachments

• IMG_0404[1].jpg
    IMG_0404[1].jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0405[1].jpg
    IMG_0405[1].jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 198