Hoverfly GPS and Data Log question

ghaynes

First, wow the HF is Smoooth. Got the GPS mounted and did the final calibration this morning. Rock solid as I have it dialed in. Even AH is solid using a piece of foam over the sensor and sandwiched between the Pro and GPS boards. Now a couple of questions.

GPS - I've got a GPS lock, Green light (not blue), seems to hold pretty solid but as it drifts to the edge of the accuracy circle the correction back is pretty harsh, more of a jerk than being smooth. Is that normal and what should I expect? 7 Sats and and HDOP 1.35. From my previous MK experience that sounds a bit low on the Sats and high on the DOP which may explain the drift.

Data Log - After the flight I hooked up and tried to pull the data log from the diagnostic page. It does download and create a .csv file but it is empty. What would give an empty flight log?

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Glad your liking it.

GPS hold for the moment will be a little rough. It's something we are working on. HDOP of < 1.5 is very good. 1.0 being the device's theoretical maximum.

The logs are stored on the SD card. The file name is the date of the flight. Just add a .csv extension to it. Most of the headers are pretty self-explanatory.

DO NOT DELETE THE DECLINAT.DAT file from the SD card or your GPS will no longer work.

The logs are not something we expect to be human readable by customers. They are mostly something used by our support team for diagnostics info. Just keep that in mind. That said, you should be get some interesting info from the logs.

First, wow the HF is Smoooth. Got the GPS mounted and did the final calibration this morning. Rock solid as I have it dialed in. Even AH is solid using a piece of foam over the sensor and sandwiched between the Pro and GPS boards. Now a couple of questions.

GPS - I've got a GPS lock, Green light (not blue), seems to hold pretty solid but as it drifts to the edge of the accuracy circle the correction back is pretty harsh, more of a jerk than being smooth. Is that normal and what should I expect? 7 Sats and and HDOP 1.35. From my previous MK experience that sounds a bit low on the Sats and high on the DOP which may explain the drift.

Data Log - After the flight I hooked up and tried to pull the data log from the diagnostic page. It does download and create a .csv file but it is empty. What would give an empty flight log?

ghaynes

George

Thanks. I had opened the SD card on my Mac and didn't see the files. Reopened on VMWare and found the logs. Has anyone taken the time to write a program to extract the lat/lon/altitude to put it into a KML format or something similar so that it can be displayed in Google Earth?

A GPS data logger is a GPS unit that will record your track, time and location for viewing on mapping application such as google earth. It's a device is a great alternative to complicated data logging system which require multiple sensors and connection to a computer to review the data.