GoPro have some serious opposition

Macsgrafs

Who said cameras were not going to get better and a lot smaller
Check this out http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...l-camera-phone-At-zoom-lens-really-works.html

Nice resolution, but crap lens! How can a 5mm diameter lens ever compete with a 72mm lens..no way. I see nikon have a 30 ish megapixel cam on the market, canon will have to go some now...maybe that means the 7D/5D will come down to a more realistic price?

I dont like mobile phones, they are rude/invasive & damaging+the powers that be can follow you EVERYWHERE! Not my idea of being free.

When I first took my radio ham exam back in 1994, I remember one of the old men (OM) telling me you are better off spending £1000 on an aerial & £100 ona radio, rather than £1000 on a radio & £100 on an aerial. Because £1000 worth of radiot transceiver into 6" of damp string will get you no where. It's the same with cameras, cheaper camera but more expensive lens will always win over a expensive camera & 18-55mm platic kit lens ;)

Ross

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Hey Ross, did you have the same tutor as me. I seem to remember mine saying something similar.
Quite true though.
Cheers de GOKHG (retired).

Sent from my HTC HD2

yeehaanow

The focal length of the lens isn't the only factor to consider. You have to take into account the sensor size. 5mm on a tiny sensor could be equivalent to a 100mm on a full-frame sensor. So I wouldn't write it off so quickly. If it is using the center of the lens, always the best part if any lens, then it could be quite good.

Macsgrafs

Hey Ross, did you have the same tutor as me. I seem to remember mine saying something similar.
Quite true though.
Cheers de GOKHG (retired).

Sent from my HTC HD2

My CW tutor was an old G0 & the occasional G4...even a G2!!!! That was before I was licensed, they use to let me morse with them on 10 mtrs...I had an old SSB CB rig that I used to start with. Ended up as G0TXK, but let it lapse a few years ago now...though I have been told I can get my G0 back if I send the DTI £20 ;)

Ross

jes1111

Not sure I'd ever bother sending a camera phone aloft, but that Nokia's down-sampling trickery is neat. Along the same lines, the newly-announced Nikon D800 should quickly take over as the camera to fly with for stills or video (short of the Red-class, of course).

DennyR

A smaller lens with a smaller sensor will have a better depth of field and less aberration to cope with in the design, the only downside would come if the sensor can't deliver the image quality. Seemingly it now can. The larger the front element the more lens aberration gimmicks are needed like asperical and low dispersion elements. Up-rezzing is the way to go if the technology can cope. I'm not saying that this camera is the one to have but similar technology will be here soon enough. I think the new D800 is for most people male jewelry, heavy and not what is needed for an aerial platform. How come most of the people who have heavy lifters spend most of their time flying with a Nex up front. The vast majority people who believe that they will one day be shooting cinema footage for some blockbuster movie will wait for ever. When you can get the best out of a GoPro then that is the time to go to the next step. It really doesn't matter if you get there with in-camera or post production editing so long as it ends up right.

jes1111

Denny, I can't really comment on video quality issues, since it's just not my field - but, as a pro photographer, I have to take issue on the stills front. For real estate, construction sites, whatever... sure, a Sony NEX5 is more than good enough. But there is, and always will be, a need for flying a 5DII/D800 size (and bigger in some cases) for serious aerial stills. To a photographer it's no different to shooting on terra firma. :)

DennyR

Jes when I look back over 35 years as a pro aerial shooter I can say that I have owned just about every top of the line Canon ever made. In fact I was still using 6x7 film until about 4 years ago for large images. I suppose I can count on one hand the number of times in one year that I really used the full res. that the camera could produce. How many times did I sell a 50x60 inch print. I then bought a Panasonic DCM-TZ10 pocket size camera, just for the convenience of having it in the car always. I then looked back over 25 books that I have published and I realised that all of those images could have been shot with this camera or in some cases a 550D with a 70/200. I still have a few exotic telephotos that I use with a 5D but it is rare. It is the photographer that makes the shot every time. In a full size aircraft all you need is a 550D and the right technique. Cameras get knocked about in aircraft, the cheaper the better as long as they can do the job. Two years ago I had a panorama that made it to the final six in the Photographer of the Year contest. The full image was 2 Gig. it was stitched together from a bunch of 550 D images shot in portrait with a 300 mm lens. In 99% of the clients who will say they only want the best, very few could actually tell the difference between a cheap 550D image and a D800 etc. If it makes you happy thats probably the only good reason to buy it.

Richk

I agree with Denny I've been a photographer for almost 40 years and have used view cameras in the past ,but now I've been doing allot of glamour photography. I use a 1D mark III and 7D ,but I've also seen some fantastic stuff shoot with a Canon G11. The thing that makes an outstanding pro is to have an eye for the photography.

jes1111

Let's not drag out that tired old cliché about the photography making the image, not the camera, eh? ;)

There are many, many reasons why the bigger, heavier, more expensive cameras/lenses exist and are used. The photographer's ego is but one of them.

Macsgrafs

hahahahaha photographers ego is probably the worst of them ;) ;) ;)

For stills its always my 40D & a 28mm F2.8 lens, but I enlarge most of my work 80-85% to 6ft x 4ft for printing onto canvas. Yes the photographer makes the image & NOT the camera.

Some of the guys I work with are F3 owner operators. One of them uses 5n footage from run-and-gun shots intercut with F3 stuff and it looks pretty damn seamless. He even suspects it might be the same sensor as from the F3 but I'm not sure. We just shot some stuff with his 5n in a blizzard here in the Cascade mountains and it was beautiful, especially with the snow zooming into the lens.

I've also seen some nice aerial stuff shot with it by others. You don't agree?