Gimbals & Encoders 2nd half 2015 Have we Arrived?

iceman

I see Gremsy H3 ecofly price has just increased by $300 it was $895 last week and i was just about to place an order, i actually had the H3 in the basket and was updating shipping cost when i had to leave the office and didn't get a chance to complete the transaction. I contacted Gremsy today to ask why a price increase, apparently it's due to improvements to the hardware and elecronics since NAB. Looks like i will have to wait and save another $300 I dont think its very professional of them to change the price once announced so i may even decide to hold off altogether!

jfro

Aerial Fun
Was that the price with antivibration plates for aerial platform. That's a 33% increase in price. I doubt that was just some improvements. It's more like "what the market will bear" or possibly they made a miscalculation on what parts were going to cost. 33% on the retail price would be a pretty big price for upgrading a couple parts.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Agreed. That's a bit much. I know they added the top bar to the tray - but 33% without any type of explanation is more like a different model.

iceman

New price is for gimbal only no extras such as top plate. Its just very unprofessional to advertise something at one price and then change the price, if the H3 needed furthe development or improvement then it should not have been for sale in the first place. I for one have now decided to hold off as this has not inspired confidence in the company's policies, they do respond to emails quickly and they did explain the reason for the increase (and any preorders will be honoured at the original price) but iI'm put off now, what if I'd received an older version only to be told new hardware and electronics were added to later models?

saenzm

Hi everybody.
I've been following this and many other threads concerning gimbals.
We all want a gimbal that is stable, jellow free, with no drifting horizon issues, and at a reasonable price.

Some people can afford to buy and try, and buy again etc. Others we can't, and have to search for info on forums and feedback from others who have tried some gimbal, and then buy the one gimbal that our budget allow us.

I think that gimbal producers should show us footage from there gimbals performing a FULL TEST.

IMHO, a FULL TEST should be done in the following conditions:

1) A Gopro pointing at the gimbal
2) Climb the copter high enough to see a clean FLAT horizon.
3) From a hover, with tha camera pointing forward and horizontal, try all the different movements in slow and fast motion: Forward, backwards, sideways, short yaws and full 360 yaws.
4)Then, the same movements with the camera tilted down but still beeing able to see the horizon on the upper side of the frame.
5) Finally slow and fast straight movements while panning the gimbal with the camera in horizontal position and also tilted down.
6) Obviously it should be a continuous shoot from begining to landing.

Probably I'm missing other situations and experienced pilots could suggest them.
But I think it's the only way to prove what a gimbal is capable of.

Then if the gimbal works in all situations it will be a winner.
If there are some issues in some movements then at least each one can decide if it's acceptable for his needs.

A company/builder who does such test and doesn't hide possible issues will prove they are honest a will gain customers trust.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Started this thread early May with lots of high hopes. It's almost 3 months later. Haven't seen any significant movement in gimbals or gimbals with encoders other than the few that were talked about early spring.

Just curious how others are doing and if there is some significant progress with gimbals, Brushless motors with encoders, etc....

iceman

Looks like infinity MR footage is coming online
Gremsy H3 should be shipping soon and hopefully will see some action from that gimbal as well. These seem to be the only two contenders at the moment with encoders at a reasonable price, only time will tell but its a slow start (or seems that way when you are waiting for feedback and reviews).

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Definitely always seems slow when you're waiting impatiently :)

Looks like Jakub will have a smaller Infinity coming in September - and the H3 is supposedly shipping soon. Greasy is also at work on a way to tie their controller into the canbus for connection to DJI FCs - which could add the GPS and other data that is currently only accessed via DJI gimbals.

I too am an owner of an MR with AM and encoders, and am getting some excellent results. I have no footage uploaded at the moment as I've simply been to busy to do the necessary processing, but I've seen the playback and am getting some great stuff. In fact, my only problem thus far is that hitting the Home Position switch I've set up on my arc does not work properly on the yaw axis. After flipping the switch, yaw is always ends up at some random angle. This is definitely more of a BaseCam Controller issue than a gimbal issue, but I'm still trying to solve it.

Any advice, in that regard, would be appreciated.

leor

Any idea where to buy the encoders or which ones are members here having good results with? I use a movi style gimbal and I can probably make space between the motor and the gimbal cages for them.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Don't the Movi gimbals have encoders on the motors already?

Sorry. Just saw the "Movi style"

I think JFRO found some motors being sold with encoders. He should chime in soon.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I, like others are waiting. I would think some would be coming to market soon. There is one site in china claiming to have some available but I know nothing of them.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Checking in to see what peeps are doing on their gimbals. I noticed some encoder gimbals motors are starting to find their way into the market, albeit a bit slower than I expected. The Infinity MR is out and the MR-s is coming soon.

I noticed Aerialpixels has 3 gimbal motors with encoders out, but have not found any samples or feedback on the motors. Waiting for a call back. Of interest, they are showing a motor with a red strip around the motor. The Infinity MR-s has the same red stripe. Wondering if they are the same motor.

Not knowing much about encoder motors and having bought way to many gimbal motors the last 3 years, I'm hoping someone can enlighten this thread with some information backed by experience.

I'm hoping to receive a Black Magic Micro Cam in the next 2-3 weeks and if I like the camera on my larger gimbal, will be in the market for a light gimbal for this camera so I can fly it on my quad as well as my X8.

Here is a link to their mid size motor. Looks like they are starting with go pro (small), mid size (nex5 and BMMC) and something a little larger like the gh3/gh4 series, but this is just a guess on my part..... https://aerialpixels.com/shop/motor...gb5010en-brushless-gimbal-motor-with-encoder/

aopen3434@hotmail.com

http://offthegridwater.ca
selling Encoder on PCB kit AS5048-Encoder $20 each
http://mymobilemms.com/OFFTHEGRIDWA...r-PCB-Wire-Magnet-Supports-BasecamElectronics

Encoder-sensor.png