Gimbals & Encoders 2nd half 2015 Have we Arrived?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's where we got it from (via Gremsey user FB page). But they don't differentiate or detail the various options. I'm guessing from some of the responses here from Gremsy on other threads here.

jakuban

I am very curious how Gremsey achieve such low weight with high rigidity. From my point of view rigidity is the most important thing, especially for aerial gimbals and proper autotune process. I can say that without top closed camera shelf and lens support it is much harder to get good footage, especially on frame such S900 that is vibrating a lot and affects gimbal performance.
Also the question is what is the H3 weight with damping and Multirotor mouting system.

I think the final H3 will have a top closed camera shelf:

"Hi everyone !, I'm Huy from GREMSY
the H3 final product will ultilize a full cage for tilt and quick releases for all axis. the H3 which introduced at NAB is not a final one"
(Copy paste from the gremsy h6 thread)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That cross-bar may end up adding to the weight, I assume the currently stated weight is for the design shown in the photo. But for aerial we would deduct the weight of the cross-bar and handles, no?

Also, the weight of the quick release mechanism and the mating block that attaches to the gimbal itself needs to be added. I calculated that at roughly 70g based on the ones available for the H6.

jakuban

So, we can only ask questions, there are many unknowns.
I would love to see video test flights similar to what I did with InfinityMR (and raw files would be great).

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
With the H3, don't think that's going to happen for a few months. Estimated ship date is July - and you know how estimations can go! :)

There are some H6 videos floating around. But it just started shipping. So not too many "out in the wild" as it were.

jakuban

This what I don't understand at all. How it is possible that producer doesn't release any video to give a customer an opportunity to decide about purchase based on real product performance. Who is buying any products in that way?
Purchase decision based on watching renders of product is a bit strange for me.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
For which? There are videos for the H6. The H3 is still in design phase I believe. They mention it "coming soon," but they have not listed prices etc. that one retail site seemed to jump the gun.

jfro

Aerial Fun
On FB they verified the anti-vibration plate/mounting plate is not included. Plus the above mentioned other items will probably get this closer to the weight of TPPacks 300 and Jakubs InfinityMR frame.

On a side note, the politics of the new trade agreement that Obama is pushing for got some push back yesterday by the Democrats. One thing they are trying to get into any agreement is no trade with countries that have forced labor. They want that enforced. Vietnam is on the list. This is being played out now and who knows when or how this will play out. I assume Gremsy is a small company and maybe they would be exempt.

Jakub, do you think an ultra light gimbal could be made for the new Black Magic Micro. Body is 10z and my lens and battery are just over 5 oz. With a couple cables hanging off it, maybe 1.1 to 1.2 lbs. I have dreams of that being able to fly on a mid size quad, maybe just a tad larger than something like the Inspire.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Jakub, proof is always in the pudding. I know you have posted footage that looks good. Things will pop for any manufacturer when end users start reporting their footage and how easy it is to setup and how consistent it stays.

In my case, I'm where I need to be with a 5d sized gimbal and the CP. It would be nice for some more features and quicker boot time, but as to the footage, I'm there with it.

If your new gimbal matches the quality and it's reliable, IMO, you have a winner. The weight looks good for the GH4 sized gimbal.

I say this because those of us who have been chasing this brushless gimbal promise for the last 3 years, are a little wary as we have not had the overall experience we expected. While there have been some who have figured it out, I think the majority have struggle to get consistently good footage that doesn't need any post stabilization.

Thus, when something comes out that just works, gives us that silky smooth & stable footage, and is pretty light, it will be a winner. On top of that, if it's price competitive, then I think you will sell plenty of gimbals. There is a pent up demand for people to get something that works so we can fly instead of tuning and testing gimbals all the time. Good luck with your new gimbal.

jakuban

On FB they verified the anti-vibration plate/mounting plate is not included. Plus the above mentioned other items will probably get this closer to the weight of TPPacks 300 and Jakubs InfinityMR frame.

On a side note, the politics of the new trade agreement that Obama is pushing for got some push back yesterday by the Democrats. One thing they are trying to get into any agreement is no trade with countries that have forced labor. They want that enforced. Vietnam is on the list. This is being played out now and who knows when or how this will play out. I assume Gremsy is a small company and maybe they would be exempt.

Jakub, do you think an ultra light gimbal could be made for the new Black Magic Micro. Body is 10z and my lens and battery are just over 5 oz. With a couple cables hanging off it, maybe 1.1 to 1.2 lbs. I have dreams of that being able to fly on a mid size quad, maybe just a tad larger than something like the Inspire.

Yes. This is what I want to do right now. Smaller, lighter gimbal for new BM Micro and others.

Jakub, proof is always in the pudding. I know you have posted footage that looks good. Things will pop for any manufacturer when end users start reporting their footage and how easy it is to setup and how consistent it stays.

In my case, I'm where I need to be with a 5d sized gimbal and the CP. It would be nice for some more features and quicker boot time, but as to the footage, I'm there with it.

If your new gimbal matches the quality and it's reliable, IMO, you have a winner. The weight looks good for the GH4 sized gimbal.

I say this because those of us who have been chasing this brushless gimbal promise for the last 3 years, are a little wary as we have not had the overall experience we expected. While there have been some who have figured it out, I think the majority have struggle to get consistently good footage that doesn't need any post stabilization.

Thus, when something comes out that just works, gives us that silky smooth & stable footage, and is pretty light, it will be a winner. On top of that, if it's price competitive, then I think you will sell plenty of gimbals. There is a pent up demand for people to get something that works so we can fly instead of tuning and testing gimbals all the time. Good luck with your new gimbal.

Hmm. IMHO due to very fast development of electronics/software and also because of lack of harmonization between electronics/software and mechanics producers there we can't say that promises ware not fulfilled. I would say that now we (producers) understand how to build gimbals much better and you (customers) demands more because first brushless gimbals weren't perfect.
Although I think first brushless gimbals ware significant change over servo gimbals. Maybe they weren't perfect, but left servo gimbals far away behind.

dark_star

with all due respect, please be thankful for what you have and how cheap it is. it's easy to forget how things were for the last decades now that these brushless systems are all around. the zenmuse and movi pretty much changed things overnight for the mass market- the fact a movi was only $15k and you could install nearly any reasonable camera/lens combo was just amazing for the performance it offered. now you want that for less than a grand. I understand why but please have some perspective.

also, while brushless motors have become the defacto standard it's possible to have as good of stability with DC motors as well. not servo motors, just high quality DC brushed motors. our system, which was decent for its time, had very good performance and significantly higher torque than what most brushless motor gimbals output now.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
. now you want that for less than a grand. I understand why but please have some perspective.

I personally didn't read JFRO's post as lacking in appreciation or perspective, especially considering he is getting good footage currently.

Expecting the decrease in price is natural. When you mention "last decades," in that same period of time a hard drive for recording audio has gone from almost $1000 measured in MB to less than $200 for a terabyte. Tech prices drop rapidly, and have since the beginning of tech itself, so it's not unreasonable to expect it to continue to do so.

JFRO pointed out people's frustration, which I think is accurate for some, and I also I don't believe anyone here would claim to have had the thought "I'd like to invest in a gimbal that works SOME of the time..." Is it better than 2 decades ago? Sure. Are they all working as promised? Not a chance.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hard drives are a mass market commodity today, but they were not decades ago. And I think it's safe to say that tech advancement is happening more rapidly now than it was in 1985 or even 1995. So how long do you reckon before your several orders of magnitude will be a distant view in the rear view mirror?

jfro

Aerial Fun
with all due respect, please be thankful for what you have and how cheap it is. it's easy to forget how things were for the last decades now that these brushless systems are all around. the zenmuse and movi pretty much changed things overnight for the mass market- the fact a movi was only $15k and you could install nearly any reasonable camera/lens combo was just amazing for the performance it offered. now you want that for less than a grand. I understand why but please have some perspective.

Perspective is in the eye of the beholder. On 3-4 different gimbals, I've had varied successes and lots of inconsistencies. After 3 - 8 bit Alexmos controllers, and a couple more 32 bit boards too many gimbals, I am ready for something a bit easier to set up and more consistent in the results. I consider my gimbal experience as being somewhat time consuming and a somewhat expensive waste of effort. For every good minute of footage I have gotten, there are many more minutes of unusable footage or footage that needed copious amounts of After Effects stabilization. Thus my comments about maybe being a little disappointed, as many others are, in what we achived vs what we expected. It's a legitimate statement and that is mine, and many others perspective. It's about expectations based on what was marketed or talked about in the forums and by the peeps selling gimbals and controllers.

This thread is about, smooth captured video with Gh4 sized and down cameras for costs in the $1,000 range. It appears we may finally see it in the coming months. Technology often brings better and cheaper. That was the intent of starting this thread.