Futuba 10ch transmitter with a F550 Naza - a possible combination or an overkill?

davidrab

Hi all,

It is my first ever multicopter (F550) and I am totally new to the RC thing.
I bought the F550 in order to learn how to fly these machines before I move to some bigger and expansive copters - the goal is getting into the AP business.

I bought the Futuba 10ch transmitter (about 550$) and now I have some doubts about its necessity... First of all I don't know if it will be harder for me to use it if I compare it to the dx8 or the cheap turnigy, second, I'm not sure if it is possible to use it with the F550, third, its price...

The only positive thing I can think of is that it could be a good investment for the future and I could use it later on with more expansive copters.

Can someone please help me with these questions?

Thanks.

davidrab

Wow, that was a fast reply!

Why do I need 14 channels? I mean, a basic multicopter flight requires 5 or 6 channels and a 3 axis gimbal requires additional 3, so it sums up to a maximum of 9 channel, right? Or am I missing here something?

jes1111

"You can never too rich, too thin or have too many channels on your radio."

"A radio is for life, not just for Christmas."

:)

kloner

Aerial DP
and, it has alot more sliders, knobs, switches, dials....

I have a radio i got in 1993, got one i bought in 1997, got one i bought in 2010 and one i bought in 2012.... they never crash but so many of the models they controlled are gone.

What do you use jes? i'd follow what he uses if your flat out ap

Stacky

You will need extra channels if you decide to use GPS. You may also need a channel for things such as controlling a servo to fire a camera or even for an audible alarm if you lose your quad while flying fpv.
I dont have a GPS board but currently Im using 9 channels. I have 5 channels for the basic control of the hexa, 1 channel for Altitude hold, 1 channel for tilt control, 1 channel for firing a camera shutter and 1 channel for my location alarm/beeper. If I were to add in a GPS board I would need additional channels for my particular setup.

Why do I need 14 channels? I mean, a basic multicopter flight requires 5 or 6 channels and a 3 axis gimbal requires additional 3, so it sums up to a maximum of 9 channel, right? Or am I missing here something?

davidrab

Well, for AP i will use an additional transmitter (for the camera man) so it seems that 10ch on my main transmitter is quite enough.

I bought a Mode 1 transmitter, what does it mean?

Milo

Mode 1 has the Throttle and Aileron on the right stick. The Elevator and Rudder are on the left stick. The default mode in China.

Mode 2 has the Aileron and Elevator on the right stick. The Throttle and Rudder are on the left stick. This is the default mode in the U.S and Europe.

Hey Davidrab,
Futaba is a great Radio! I've been flying them since 1977 and have never had to send one back for service. I have an MZ14 that I used to use for helicopter flying. Now it's retasked to MR's

Too many channels? --> I'd rather have more channels than I need than to need more channels than I have.

just my .02

Dale.

ChrisViperM

Channels on a receiver are also pretty handsome as a "power source" for LED's for example, and to control these.

Chris

davidrab

Thanks all, it seems that I'll stay with the Futuba 10ch. Can't wait to get it.

The only thing is the Mode thing. I saw on YouTube that people are changing their transmitters from Mode 1 to Mode 2 by doing a mechanical and software modification. It doesnt seem difficult at all and I also saw somewhere that the Futuba 10ch allows changing it in the software, but is it possible to do it mechanically like in the other models? I mean isn't there some kind of an obstacle which can surprise me?

Thanks all, it seems that I'll stay with the Futuba 10ch. Can't wait to get it.

The only thing is the Mode thing. I saw on YouTube that people are changing their transmitters from Mode 1 to Mode 2 by doing a mechanical and software modification. It doesnt seem difficult at all and I also saw somewhere that the Futuba 10ch allows changing it in the software, but is it possible to do it mechanically like in the other models? I mean isn't there some kind of an obstacle which can surprise me?

davidrab,
You can purchase the Radio as a "Mode 1" or "Mode 2"

As Milo stated in an earlirs post, Mode 2 is the standard for the USA and Europe. You will want to purchase the radio in the mode that the people in your area are flying - if - you want to get support from your local club members on flying and setting up your MR. There are quite a few movies on YouTube that will walk you through setting up the software, but I believe that all of the ones that I have seen are based on "Mode 2". It's your choice.

Can you do the mechanical change? Hmmm.... that really depends on your skill - however, that point aside, why would you want to make a mechanical change on a brand new Radio if you can purchase the Radio in the mode that you want to fly it in?

Once you have it, each stick and switch, knob and slider are programmable so you have a lot of possibilities.

Dale.

kloner

Aerial DP
dale, those radios don't have a mode option in the menu? the 8j does, it can be mode 1-4 by pushing a button, no mechanical change necesary

dale, those radios don't have a mode option in the menu? the 8j does, it can be mode 1-4 by pushing a button, no mechanical change necesary
Hi Kloner,
I don't see any way of changing the mode (through a menu) on my MZ14. Maybe the newer 8J now allows that.

It seems to me that if you change the mode that you would have to also change the mechanical setup too since Mode 1 and Mode 2 have different positions (and mechanical functions) for the throttle.